Secluded New England "Nature" type parks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnshenry

I am probably within a couple months of getting a Travel trailer (21').  I live in Eastern MA and have lived here for 28 years.  I have traveled all over New England in that time, and now am looking forward to doing so with a TT.  I want to start making a wish list of parks to visit.  My wife and I are in our 50s and we have 2 dogs.  It will either be just us, or just me and at least one dog.  I am wondering how to best search out the "nature" type parks.  What I mean by that are not the "parking lot" parks with pools and lots of kids.  I want to do some modest hiking and have as much space a privacy as I can.  I love nature.  Ideally I'd like to have electric hookups, but can boondock if needed and if the weather is nice.  I am thinking that state and national parks would be best, but don't really know really where/how to start looking.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?  Your fav parks that fit this description?

I am also retiring at the end of the year and look forward to being able to "camp my brains out" if I want to starting in 2017!

thanks

There is no doubt that National and State Parks would fit your list.  One of the best kept secrets is Wampatuck State Park in Hingham, MA, the White Mountains National Park has several campgrounds, and lots of wilderness.  There is nothing in southern CT, but mid or northern State parks are nice, as is western MA, or in fact all of northern New England.  Contact the state tourist sites and they will provide lots of information.

Ed

Near the top of your list should be West Thompson Lake, a COE park in the very northeast corner of Connecticut. Good sized lake, hiking trails, very quiet. They have water and electric, dump station on site.

As to Connecticut state parks, you're out of luck with the dogs. State forest campgrounds allow one dog per site, if you can leave one home. American Legion state forest in the northwest corner would fit your needs.

Trap Pond State Park in Delaware if you get that far South. They have water and electric at all the sites, with two dump stations and a couple of satellite gray water dumps so folks don't have to tote blue boys all the way to the dump stations.90 acre pond with no swimming allowed, but fishing, canoeing and kayaking are popular there. Lots of easy walking wooded trails. They have a nice nature center and do pontoon boat tours around the pond with great tour guides. Two bath houses with hot showers and flush toilets. It gets a bit crowded on weekends, but during the week it's very peaceful.

John,

As far as finding parks, for me the absolute best tool is the Allstays Camp and RV app. I first got it for my iPad but now also have it on a smart phone. It basically uses an interactive mapping program and overlays icons showing campground (as well as other places useful to campers). If you tap on the icon it brings up a popup with a description of the campground as well as links to things like the campground website, reviews, etc.

We have the same tastes as you. In the four years we've had our RV, we've never stayed in a commercial campground. Only national, state, and county parks.

Thanks for all the great replies and tips.  After I posted that I went looking at VT state parks and RV accommodations, and quickly realized that state/national camping is what I want to do.  My wife also longs for that "lake" experience, when we used to rent lake houses in the summer when our kids were young (21 and 24 now).  I have line on a trailer and hope to have one in April and look forward to a spring/summer of long weekend getaways.

Shawme Crowell state park in Sandwich an Nickerson state park in Brewster, both on Cape Cod. Not so much secluded, but nice, early or late in the season, when kids are in school and not so many families are on vacation. Seems as though every town has one or more hiking trails. I lived on Cape Cod for 30 years. Moved to Texas in '14.

Are you John Henry from the air-cooled VW communities? If so, there are a few air-cooled enthusiast here too. A minor reason for moving to Texas was the availability of road worthy VW's down here!

Bill

there is a very nice park in Newport Vermont on the Canadian border it called Prouty beach it is in a municipal park and is run by  the city of Newport. It is on Lake Memphromagog  the lake is mostly in Quebec but about 5 miles of it is in the US. The Views are excellent and it is 90 a minute drive to Montreal so bring your passport. The sites are little tight but you are surrounded by nature.
http://www.newportrecreation.org/prouty-beach--campground.html

Yes Bill I am the John Henry from the VW Hobby!  Paths cross, huh?

My Amerilite 21MB is being delivered Friday, I'll have about a month for "mods" and then on the road throughout the summer.  Just booked a waterfront RV site in VT for July in a state park.... ;D

If we are talking about Vermont.  My all time favorite RV Park is just east of St. Johnsbury, VT.

It is Moose River RV Park and has about 50 site nestled in the curve of the Moose River.

The owners Mary and Gary are like family to me.

It is maybe not the semi boondocking site that you described but it is a great place to stay.

Tell them I sent you and they may double your rate...LOL or they may give you the "Honeymoon Site ".

Attachments

• rPSUITEWP.bmp
    191.3 KB · Views: 37
John, there are a few other ACVW people on this site. Maybe I'll start a topic in the Shade Tree forum.

Bill

Thought I was only one searching for state and county type parks.  National parks also. We have a 21 foot Amerilite that works just fine for us. Ability to stop the darned thing if something happens is my criteria for a good day. Towing with 2500 hd gmc that definitely will control what is being towed behind us.
  My plans are to also to head toward New Hampshire and Maine for a bit next year.  Michigan also next spring for walleye fishing. Retiring in October and headed to Cocoa Beach, Hunting Island SC and Myrtle beach and back to CNY for the holidays. 

I'd like to keep this "New England Secluded Parks" thread going.  So far we did Apple Valley Campground in Acton ME in May, and a one nighter in a friend's lakehouse driveway.  New trailer has worked out splendidly.

Currently booked at Woodford State Park 2 nights in July, then up to Upstate New York to another state Park (forgot the name of, don't have my records with me now) for 2 more nights, then 2 nights in a friend of a friend's vacation house front yard, also in NY.

We have the chance to leave a day earlier on that week long trip, and will probably want to if the weather is real nice, so looking for a recommendation of a State/National or even private park between say Nashua NH, and Woodford VT roughly.  Would only be for one night, we have 2 dogs.

I have started a spreadsheet with a tab for each state to keep booking records and, after the camp, notes, "would we come back?" etc.  I am retiring at the end of next year and really hope to do LOTS of secluded, boondocking type camping with hiking nearby..... so keep the recommendations coming!  Oh, we have Kayaks too!!

If you go to Moose River... make sure to visit Dog Mountain (1/4 mile)... dedicated to dogs, dog chapel, hiking trails, picnic grounds, dogs can run free...

We are currently staying at the Schoodic Woods NPS cg in Maine. Absolutely beautiful. Sites are well spaced and very secluded from each other. I highly recommend.

If you looking for a friendly campground in Maine.... Hands down it is Reach Knolls.  If you looking for a more secluded area, look into North Woods Camping....  You will NOT be sorry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritzyboy54
Back
Top Bottom