Securing 32" flat screen against cabinet while driving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrontrangeRVer

Hi guys.  I am mounting a 32" flat screen in my overhead cabinet that will be flush against the facia.  I will be using an articulating mount. 

What do you use to secure the tv to the front of the cabinet while driving?  I am expecting some "creep out" with this articulating mount while driving.

Hey Mark. I just did a 40" in the same manner. I just used some Velcro on the left and right side of the back of the TV and then to hidden boards that just barely catch the Velcro on the back side. I had to staple the Velcro on the board side. 1500 so far miles and it works great. Some strong magnets could work as well.

I use a pair of the mini bungie cords hooked to screw eyes on each side in the back of the cabinet, then just stretch out the middle and hook it over the top of the articulating arm. There's enough stretch in the bungies to get your arm behind the tv for hook up.

To help control the shaking of the overhead TV while we travel the bumpy roads we encounter I used "earthquake straps" found at Home Depot. They are nylon straps with plastic clips on each end. The clips adhere to the TV and the mounting cabinet back. Then apply the straps.

Whilst at Camping World one time, we saw these flat adjustable bungee cords.  We got two curtain tie hooks (or any kind of hook or closed loop hook), screwed them to each side of the TV (where we mounted ours), and use the flat bungee to hold it tight.  It works perfect.

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back of the hold down bars to protect the TV face. I installed some tee nuts in the back side of the wooden frame. The hold downs screw int th eTee nuts.
They can be left in place while traveling since they don't cover the picture area.

They stabilize the TV and prevent stress on the area the arm connects to on the back of the TV.

kjansen said:
Please try to secure the tv to the front of the cabinet BEFORE driving  LOL

One of the nice features of a motorhome is being able to walk around and do stuff while the other person is driving  :D.

I looked at Winnebago's articulated TV mounts at the 2010 GNR (made by an outside vendor) and they have a locking pin on the mechanism operated by a cable.  I have visions of hacking something together like that.

I took SCVJeff's advise and made my own solid mount out of angle steel and plywood, and I am going to post the final results in pictures in the TV sticky in this Winnebago board.  :)

OK, OK.... Checks in the mail to youz guyz. Same as last time?  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom