Securing a TT or Fifth Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eagleman

Considering trading my Class C motorhome for a new fifth wheel or TT.  I live in an area that can get pretty windy and just thought of how would be the best way to tie down the vehicle while parked at home.  Never worried too much about the motorhome and wondering if I should be taking safety steps for a fifth wheel or TT.
Would appreciate a few ideas. 

Any tie-down that would be effective when needed is going to be semi-permanent.  Check the mobile home codes in your area - they probably specify tie-downs too, and mobile home parts stores and home centers probably have them. Typically it is a large auger that gets buried several feet into the ground and ties to the frame or axles with steel bands.

If you were thinking of some kind of strap over the top, don't bother. The RV will stay upright by itself in any wind that wouldn't break such a tie-down.

I wouldn't worry too much about it going over on the door.  If you've got a lot of wind though you might want to consider a couple of things to minimize the stress on your landing gear:

Keep your slides in during storage to reduce the surface area. Not to mention that most manufacturers recommend storing with the slides stowed.

Use a kingpin tripod to reduce the side load on the landing gear and put some substantial weight on it by dropping the bow on it with 500-1000 lbs of load.  I know that there are numerous folks on this forum who really don't like tripods but we've used one for years.  That kingpin box is made to withstand a LOT of punishment so why not take advantage of its strength?

Extend your rear stabilizers (after you put up the tripod) and make sure that they also have some weight on them.  Be careful not to over-due it on either end with the load.  Most tripods aren't rated for more than 1,500 lbs and the rear stabilizers also are not intended to be used as jacks to raise the wheels off the ground.

We've survived winds in excess of 67 mph at Goosenecks State Park in Utah (with the slides out by the way).  The only reason I know the wind was in excess of 67 mph was that my anemometer failed at 67 mph.  It wasn't a pleasant nite but we woke up still on the wheels.

I was down in Caldwell, ID area and got in just as a wind storm started up. Got the RV parked, cocked, unhitched, got my stabilizers out, kick the slide out. Enjoyed the evening of gentle rocking to sleep.

I had another time in Riggins, ID during the Jet Boat races where a wind storm came up as well. Once again just a gentle rocking of the RV. But sitting in the living room and watch large trees bend and sway, trashcans go rolling down the street, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom