Securing portable generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

I ordered my 2 inverter generators today, what is the recommended wat to secure them? I know if someone wants them they are gone?.
Options on chain or cable and location to run them, how far from camper.
Thanks

I like that idea, since I will store side x side the plates could go under each genny.
Roosevelt Lake and tubing the Salt River, memories make me smile.

The old adage, out of sight, out of mind, still applies.  We've had our Honda 2000 for about 10 years and until recently we'd always place it in a bay when we left a site.  Now that it's depreciated a bit, we just place it under the motorhome.  We keep it secured with two chains.  Probably wont do much but it will keep anyone other than a real thief from walking off with it.  Our Honda has the camouflage paint and I think that has helped keep it safe.  The red ones are pretty obvious.  Keep that in mind if you still have an option.

Only needs to be harder to steal than your neighbors generator.  I typically chain them to the rear bumper.

In all my 40 years of camping the only thing I ever heard of being stolen was a generator.

The guy across from me in the RV park had one sitting out front of his trailer for his CPAP machine.

Didn't have it locked down and it disappeared one day.

I found this chain and now looking for a lock.
https://www.murphyindustrialproducts.com/3-8-zinc-plated-security-chain.html
My insurance  agent quoted me 50.00 a year to insure both generators,  not too bad....

SMR said:
I found this chain and now looking for a lock.
https://www.murphyindustrialproducts.com/3-8-zinc-plated-security-chain.html

Scroll down and you?ll see they also sell the locks.

I like to cable my generator to my rear bumper. Bolt cutters and like tools have a very difficult time with cables, especially the thick braided ones. So far, so good.
RichH

Not sure how you were planning to secure genny w/ chain. Had a buddy who's honda genny was chained thru handle was stolen, they found they guy next day , he had cut the plastic handle & slid genny off the chain.

If someone wants my 21 year old Honda EU1000i generator bad enough to cut through the handle to steal it, they're welcome to it.  Replacements have become too cheap to lose sleep over the issue.

I usually leave something of insignificant value out when I leave a campsite unoccupied.  Kind of like a canary in a coal mine. If it's gone when I return I know to be more vigilant with more valuable stuff.  Otherwise I don't worry too much about theft.

You can buy steel reinforcements for Honda generator handles.  Cable locks with a loud alarm may be a good idea as well.

I was thinking about using a screw in ground anchor with a cable. You could theoretically unscrew the anchor from the ground, but with cables going through the gen handles and through the anchor, youd have to hold both gennys and rotate them to take it off.

Sure, you can cut the cable with an angle grinder, but if they take that route, there is nothing else that would prevent it either.

My concern is that we only use the genny's to keep the dogs cool while we are out, so if they take them, our dogs may overheat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom