See any gems among these rigs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isaac-1 said:
Snap on Tools comes to mind as having these... They typically also have a generator and air conditioner like an RV, just no bathroom or cooking appliances.  I have seen them for sale gutted on ebay in the past

Slick. All you'd need to do is add a complete bathroom, plumbing, water and holding tank, furniture, a furnace, propane tank and plumbing, complete 12v & 120v systems, house batteries, lighting, flooring, insulation, finished ceiling and walls, and a complete kitchen. And then you'd have a windowless RV that looks like a Snap On truck. When the time comes to sell I imagine there's a huge market for that!  ;) Sorry, couldn't resist

Every word above is true, or at least a well-accepted point of view. That said, there are people who live in Rvs in northern winters, and they get by (with all the extra gear others have already mentioned). However, they are rarely newbies with no knowledge at all of RV living, and they don't start out the the winter season is already upon us.

I think the best advice so far is to rent a mobile home or RV park model (one already in a park) for the winter. It should combine modest cost with reasonable living quarters. Then plan ahead and learn more about RV living, with the idea that maybe you can get one during the summer and get prepped up for the winter season. If that still seems like a good idea.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Every word above is true, or at least a well-accepted point of view. That said, there are people who live in Rvs in northern winters, and they get by (with all the extra gear others have already mentioned). However, they are rarely newbies with no knowledge at all of RV living, and they don't start out the the winter season is already upon us.
And rarely are they living on the street.

Sun2Retire said:
Slick. All you'd need to do is add a complete bathroom, plumbing, water and holding tank, furniture, a furnace, propane tank and plumbing, complete 12v & 120v systems, house batteries, lighting, flooring, insulation, finished ceiling and walls, and a complete kitchen. And then you'd have a windowless RV that looks like a Snap On truck. When the time comes to sell I imagine there's a huge market for that!  ;) Sorry, couldn't resist

Its ok, I am not saying it would be practical, but could be a fun project, and the amount of work needed might not be all that great since these show room trucks typically already have a finished room, insulation and lighting inside, it is is a model with basement storage adding water/holding tank would not be that hard....

Here is an example of the sort of thing I was thinking listed on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-FreightLiner-FL60-Cummins-Diesel-Hauler-Work-Truck-Van-RV-Toter-Home-/232161567569?forcerrptr=true&hash=item360de86351

Isaac-1 said:
I have been giving some thought to an Urban RV boondock vehicle given the nature of the legal and social climate with many cities not allowing RV parking, but allowing other similar types of vehicles to park without harassment.  I think therefore if I were to try to come up with an RV for urban boondocking I would start a different platfom, in particular I would look for a used showroom on wheels truck, Snap on Tools comes to mind as having these, they are typically a mid size box truck with an RV like door and steps on the side, with just one window in the door.  They typically also have a generator and air conditioner like an RV, just no bathroom or cooking appliances.  I have seen them for sale gutted on ebay in the past, not sure about the price though, but if painted right they could fit in much better than a traditional RV.
I like this idea and if camouflaged properly (painted black and stencil FBI on both side) I doubt anyone will bother you, just move around a lot.

Isaac-1 said:
Here is an example of the sort of thing I was thinking listed on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-FreightLiner-FL60-Cummins-Diesel-Hauler-Work-Truck-Van-RV-Toter-Home-/232161567569?forcerrptr=true&hash=item360de86351

I see what you're saying, that would totally blend in to any neighborhood

It is not about blending in, it is about not shouting hey I am an RV and someone might be sleeping here.  I do admit the flames might draw a bit of undue attention, but at the other end of the spectrum it does not even have to say FBI, but how about being painted a nice medium blue with some non-specific wording on the side like "JWS Mobile Unit" and a 1-800-Hows-my driving on the back, maybe even add a moto under mobile unit like "making the world a better place", for bonus points add a logo, maybe JWS stacked together in a shaded box.  No outright lies, just implications.  I bet no one would think twice seeing it parked in an event center parking lot near the service entrance or any number of other similar spots  with generator and air conditioner running and if some security guard were to ask, just say oh I must be at the wrong site is there another event center, stadium, etc. nearby?

This whole idea of "urban boondocking" is lost on me. Not because I don't understand that there are those who urgently need cheap housing. It's lost on me because I'm unconvinced this is cheaper housing.

And while the idea of a fake Snap On truck is sorta fun (the owner inside watching football and grabbing another cold beer from the fridge while people outside stroll by unknowingly) I think reality is closer to sinking many thousands into a boondoggle that is unsellable when reality sets in. And I think that applies equally to fake Snap On trucks and old RVs that have seen better days. Both may have a place, but only with those that have substantial skills, time, money and patience. IMHO

Personally the upgrades I do to my RV's and other toys I do for my own benefit, not to increase their value, and sure I can see the appeal of an RV designed for urban travel vs spending $200-$300 a night on a city hotel room.  It may be money down the drain, but the same can likely be said about people that invest big bucks into building extreme off road exploration motorhomes, which seem to lack many of the same amenities yet cost much more.

That '78 Dodge is a sweetie!  Go with that one!  A 40 year old motorhome.  What could be wrong with it?

They do describe the condition as "Excellent".  Maybe excellent is one of them words that autocorrected from autrocious? 

Seriously, you have to love the style.  Ain't no body gonna miss you driving around in that.  Plus it looks small enough you could use it as the daily driver.

Do you know any mechanics old enough to know how to work on a carborator?  They stopped putting those in vehicles about a million years ago so if the mechanic doesn't remember where he was during the moon landing he is probably too young.

I would buy it just to tailgate.  Live in it full Time?  Hmmmm.  I'd think that one through when I put my thinkin' cap on real tight.

Isaac-1 said:
It is not about blending in, it is about not shouting hey I am an RV and someone might be sleeping here.  I do admit the flames might draw a bit of undue attention, but at the other end of the spectrum it does not even have to say FBI, but how about being painted a nice medium blue with some non-specific wording on the side like "JWS Mobile Unit" and a 1-800-Hows-my driving on the back, maybe even add a moto under mobile unit like "making the world a better place", for bonus points add a logo, maybe JWS stacked together in a shaded box.  No outright lies, just implications.  I bet no one would think twice seeing it parked in an event center parking lot near the service entrance or any number of other similar spots  with generator and air conditioner running and if some security guard were to ask, just say oh I must be at the wrong site is there another event center, stadium, etc. nearby?
I have camped on the street and it is totally not worth it. The police will come by in the middle of the night and knock on your door so loudly you will jump out of your skin. Then then will give you a ticket and tell you to move. Then they will broadcast a description of your vehicle on the police radio making it hard for you to just move a short distance and repark. The cops hate urban campers.

They are all gems,, well immature gems , like charcoal is immature diamonds,, they are are charcoal too,always will be , burn em

Back
Top Bottom