Seeing behind your trailel trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GypsySooners

I've hated not knowing if someone is tailgating me on the Interstate and try to pop around just as I try to change lanes.  I didn't, however, want to run cables from the trailer to my truck to put in a rear view camera.

I recently found this;

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/wifi-backup-camera-system.html

So, I ordered it and had it installed in about 30 minutes.  Now I have a 22' trailer so it's not all that far from the back of the trailer to the cab of my truck.  But now I have my smart phone where I can easily see it and monitor what's behind me.  Also, I can see when I'm backing into a campsite.

It is designed more for a license plate on a car when in reverse but it's got a switch to turn the backing guidelines off and on and works perfectly going down the highway.  Just wire it to something that stays on when connected to the tow vehicle.  I mounted mine just under one of the rear lights at the top of my trailer and simply run with my lights on.

I'd love to know what you did with all the wires and stuff shown in the item description? Mounting a camera is one thing. How did you handle the wifi box and what looks like a yard or so of wiring?

Give us a report after you have used the system in heavy traffic.

Several years ago I tried a wireless system.  It worked OK in my driveway and on county roads.

But when I was in heavy traffic where the need for the camera was the greatest I got so much interference from passing cars and trucks it was of no use for me.

I went with a wired system.  I use the center conductor on the 7 way for the video signal.  The center conductor is for a reverse light which very few of us use on a trailer.  I get a good video signal with my setup.

I just do a slight wiggle maneuver while looking into the left mirror.  That moves the trailer out of the way enough to see if someone's directly behind me.

That's assuming your mirrors are spaced wider than the trailer, of course.  This way you have a blind spot that decreases in width with distance.

If your mirrors are mounted inside the trailer's width, you have a blindspot that gets wider with distance and can include adjacent lanes.

Ever since I installed a generator rack which also holds 2 5gal fuel can. On the back of my travel trailer.... I haven't had any problems with tailgaters

Attachments

• 00U0U_1kJbTlCWCBT_300x300.jpg
    00U0U_1kJbTlCWCBT_300x300.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 76
robertusa123 said:
Ever since I installed a generator rack which also holds 2 5gal fuel can. On the back of my travel trailer.... I haven't had any problems with tailgaters

You better hope that no one drives into the back of your rig. Looks like a bomb just waiting to go off.

Rene T said:
You better hope that no one drives into the back of your rig. Looks like a bomb just waiting to go off.

Won't happen.  ::) Most all small cars have the fuel tank in the back of the vehicle and most rupture and dump there contents. I've seen plenty of vehicle accidents working for the fire dept and gas can or fuel tank don't exploded. Truthfully a empty fuel tank is way more dangerous than a full one. Liquid fuel doesn't burn but the fuel vapors and air mixture now you got a bomb.

Even if you do have camera back there and can see some one tailgating close what can you do about it? Nothing... Unless you install a marquee sign on the back of the RV and typed in a message saying please back off.

Like my truck I do have a second set of flood light mounted to my axle. These light are tied to my reverse lights as well. Now with my manual switch in the overhead console I can toggle the switch for 3 brief flashes and most people get the hint to back down. I've considered using that 7th pin for a set of back up light on the RV anyways for late night backing of the RV.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/35-exterior/76-backup-lights

Rene T said:
My 20 year old trailer.  I couldn't get that luckey. Unless the person was uninsured for

lavarock1210 said:
I use the center conductor on the 7 way for the video signal.  The center conductor is for a reverse light which very few of us use on a trailer.  I get a good video signal with my setup.

What a great idea for hard-wiring! It's already there on the tow vehicle! I'm going to look into my setup again. I've installed the wireless camera I used on our old MH on the back of our TT, but video reception is not perfect by any stretch - the difference between sending a signal from one end of the MH to the other (on the interior) versus a signal through open space around one large metal box (TT is aluminum sided), and then through the TV to the receiver in the cab.....  ??? :(

Also need to research my Jeep a bit more, I've got the in-dash MyGig nav/radio and DVD player. Wonder if there's an easy way to path in the camera vid signal? Sure would save a lot of room in the cockpit if I didn't need to mound a second screen!

I just ease up on the pedal and turn on flashers. White light to the rear is illegal if a cop saw it you'd be in trouble and the tailgater would go merrily on his way. It would be satisfying though to blind the ig'nant sobs wouldn't it?

Bill

driftless shifter said:
I just ease up on the pedal and turn on flashers. White light to the rear is illegal if a cop saw it you'd be in trouble and the tailgater would go merrily on his way. It would be satisfying though to blind the ig'nant sobs wouldn't it?

Bill

Bill I have to ask. If you put on your flashers, wouldn't the red brake lights be flashing and not the white backup lights? Unless you ran a white light to the brake lights.

I'm referring to flood lights wired into reverse lights with a secondary switch for use without shifting into reverse, mentioned earlier. I also use flashers to thank people that let me change lanes. Most drivers get it, flashers are rhythmic brake lights rarely are.

Bill

So to take this thread back on topic.  Thanks for the post. That looks like a neat unit and older generation smart phones are available for free or nearly so. While there is nothing you can do to keep someone from tailgating in your blind spot, its good to know they are there.

I also do the wiggle to see whats directly behind me. CDLA driver for 28 years. Some people will follow you into a ditch. Some people don't understand four way flashers either, particularly when a a semi truck turns on flashers before swinging into opposing lane to back in to a delivery location on their blind side. Then they either look at you indignantly or like a deer in the headlights when you get out and politely ask them to move because they are holding up traffic.

Bill

We installed a Tadi Bros wireless camera for just this very reason and it works very well.

It works best when I turn my own wifi off on the cell phone. No problems in heavy traffic.

I purchased a Swifthitch, make sure it's the updraded one as Allison trans interferes with the wireless signal. I use it backing up to the fiver, putting on a car trailer or boat, and can attach to the hitch on the 5er to see behind while driving or backing in. Best tool ever for those that back up to something, it attaches with a magnet.

I went with a Pyle wired rear camera with a 7" LCD windshield mounted display after much research for my application/price point. This is in addition to the stock backup camera system.
I mounted one rear camera on the Quadvan tow vehicle down by the hitch receiver that is used for rear view driving with the van only (the 4x4 van height w/dark tint windows renders the stock rear view mirror useless).  I mounted a second rear camera at the rear of the TT that is mounted on a fabricated bracket extending over the spare tire.  The Van-TT camera connect/disconnect is made using the RCA cable connection point (RCA cable run down the TT frame ) when making the TT 7-pin electrical plug connection. (Note: The van camera is not connected when the TT camera is connected).  This wired setup works great without the wireless interference's and it is fantastic knowing what is behind me while towing/changing lanes and backing up the TT. Also the camera on the van hitch assists in backing down to hitch up the TT.
More info here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4FxOYp3BSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pavR2MhNVw

Happy Travels! 8)

Attachments

• Rear view display.jpg
    Rear view display.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
  • rear Quadvan camera.jpg
    rear Quadvan camera.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 25
  • rear TT camera.jpg
    rear TT camera.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 25
I recently installed a wireless rear view camera from Rear View Safety on my 24 ft. Heartland North Trail.  I did have to add booster antennas , but they were supplied free from RVS.  They work great, even in heavy traffic areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom