Seeking ideas for dashboard protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon.  One particular area of the dashboard  (corner above the rear view monitor) gets a lot of abuse.  It is the perfect place to place your hand as you enter the coach.  Consequently the clear outer film on the vinyl in this area has started to peel.  I am seeking ideas for what I might use to cover this area.  Ideally, I could apply a self-adhesive vinyl or leather patch (for lack of a better word) to this area.  It would measure about 5 by 8 inches and wrap over the edge of the dashboard. If I could find the right material it would look like it was placed there for the purpose of a hand support.

Rex - I know exactly the place of which you speak!  I forgot - is that the part of the dash above the driver's position that is removable?  You could buy a replacement.  You could spray paint the part - I've had good luck with an adhesion promoter that you prime plastic with before a top coat.

John,

It is the dash topper.  It is a two piece part and the part that gets the abuse is the smaller section.  Good idea about replacement, if it is not outrageous.  I will contact a dealer for a quote.

Rex

We bought a dashboard cover in Quartzsite a couple of years ago. They make them up special for the model you have. I don't remember what it cost (I'm thinking $175?). Designed to exactly fit our model. We bought it because we have a labrador who thinks the dashboard is the best place to sit and watch the world go by or take a nap in the sunshine. It's designed to stick to the dash but we've never attached it because we like taking it out occasionally and shaking out the dirt and dog hair, plus vacuum the dash where dirt has accumulated under the cover. I suspect that there are internet companies that also sell covers. Mike actually made the first one we had out of carpet so you CAN make your own.

Maybe I could even get a couple of pictures while we're loading up tomorrow for the Moab trip.

Wendy

Wendy said:
We bought a dashboard cover in Quartzsite a couple of years ago. They make them up special for the model you have.

I've wanted one of those for a few years!

... we're loading up tomorrow for the Moab trip.

[OT]We'll be in Moab last week of the month for a couple of weeks doing 4x4 trails - when are you guys there?[/OT]

John Canfield said:
I've wanted one of those for a few years!

Guess you need to come to Quartzsite !!

John Canfield said:
We'll be in Moab last week of the month for a couple of weeks doing 4x4 trails - when are you guys there?

We'll be there at the RV Forum Rally from May 8-15 then looping around by Glen Canyon and home by May 18 or 19. Are you passing thru or near Cortez?

Wendy

My cats think the dashboard is the best scratching post in the world. Thank god this is a 26 year old coach. So I go to Walmart and get an area run for $10 and lay it on the dash. I think it improved the resale value of this thing.

Well, it's back to the drawing board.  I just found that Winnebago no longer stocks this part.  Ideally, I can find some sort of stick on pad that looks like it belongs there.

Well isn't that a little disturbing!  :eek:  They are fond of touting their 100,000 (or whatever the number) strong parts inventory, but maybe they're cutting back on that number due to the expense involved of carrying inventory.

LK23 said:
Well, it's back to the drawing board.  I just found that Winnebago no longer stocks this part.  Ideally, I can find some sort of stick on pad that looks like it belongs there.

I agree with John.  That's disturbing about Winnebago.  One of the reasons we settled on buying our new-to-us Winnebago was the parts availability.  If they start 'slipping' on parts I'll certainly consider other mfg next time.  I hope the word gets to Winnebago that they're loyal base is counting on them.  I'd hate to see them go like so many others over the past years.  :-\

A piece of carpet cut to fit the dash will do the trick. I cut a pattern first then cut the carpet.
Fit nicely and sure protected the dash from the dogs nails...Lots of choices in carpet as to color and thickness. Good Luck

itchn2go said:
A piece of carpet cut to fit the dash will do the trick. I cut a pattern first then cut the carpet.
Fit nicely and sure protected the dash from the dogs nails...Lots of choices in carpet as to color and thickness. Good Luck

Have you had a problem with the edges fraying or unravelling?

I just went to the fabric store and bought a couple of yards of a heavy felt and cut it to fit the dash while I have it in storage. It keeps the sun off the dash vinyl/ seems to work really well, and it roles up for storage while traveling. 

Back
Top Bottom