Selling/trading gasser with high mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCmom

HI All,

I am ready to move on to a newer, maybe a bit bigger, RV. I found something that seemed perfect for me, got financing in place, only to have the dealer turn down my trade! I was not prepared for that. He said he couldn't retail it, so he contacted wholesalers, who said the mileage was too high.

I have a 09 FW Hurricane bunkhouse with over 90K miles. I have taken excellent care of my rig, I just drive it a lot! And because I depend on it (I travel to agility dog competitions), I am super diligent about engine and genny maintenance.

My understanding is the Ford V-10 is a good engine and has a life of 200K or so. Are people THAT afraid of a high mileage RV?

Now I'm considering selling it privately. Not even sure how to price it cause NADA seemed high to me. Just not sure what to do. Any advise appreciated on what you would do in this situation. Thx.

If NADA seems high to you, list it where you feel comfortable and sell it on Craig's List. I often see folks on this forum looking for a great deal on a motor home. If it's a great deal it won't last long.

BTW, if you've kept accurate service records that would be a huge plus.

Thx, appreciate the quick reply! I have to say, I'm a bit nervous about craig's list. Do you know of any other place that is good to sell a used RV?

Oh, now I know why NADA seemed high...I had 2011 in there instead of 2009 (2011 is the year of the one I was looking at).

Yes, I have all my records. Figured that would give whoever got it, a piece of mind that I really did take care of it.

I have bought and sold an RV on Craigslist without issue. I think it is the best place to buy and sell an RV. Yes they are scammers but they are so stupid they are easy to spot.

From my perspective, you have several problems:
1) it is an entry level gasser with more than 3 years on it.
2) you used it for your pets and spent a lot of time in it.
3) it has high mileage, regardless of represented good maintenance.
4) most of the book depreciation would be focused on the depreciation of the house and I'm guessing they assume average maintenance on the chassis.
5) Dealers and service techs consider them to be junkers, though it may have served you well and be an rv you think highly of.

I recommend you sell it in the private market and low ball price it to sell. You probably have to separate your feelings out of the process about how you maintained it unless you find an open ear from one of the buyers.

Your competitor sellers might be rental dealerships who, true or not, will be assumed by most buyers to be better maintained.

Generally, if you do the research, the savior buyers will pick up on the "truth" that the best deals in a used rv are the quality diesel pushers. Faced with that, I presume your market will be mostly unsavy and first impression buyers, despite your viewpoint on the matter which I'm sure again that you were served well by owing this rv.

Just put an add in Craigslist.  Be careful of those who want to buy your RV when their offer seems to good to be true.  It probably is.  Just be careful and give it a shot.  I sold an RV on Cragslist and didn't have any problems.  Just takes a bit of google time and thoughtful pricing.  Aside from Craigslist, there are many on line sources where you can sell an RV.  Probably the two most recognized are RV Trader and RVT.  Another is the RV Registry.  You should also consider joining a Hurricane Group and place an add there.  You can also place an ad here at the RV Forum.  If you have any questions, just post them here.  Someone will have an answer and you'll have your RV sold before you know it.  Actually, it can take a lot of time to sell an RV.  One of the problems is exposure.  People like to see and touch something they're going to spend a lot of money on.  The more people that see it, the more likely it will sell.  Consider having a dealer sell it on a consignment basis.  Good luck. 

Thx again! I really appreciate the advice/info. I have some more research to do.

Oh, and thx for the brutal honestly RodgerS. wow. glad I'm thick skinned! Yes, it has served me well, got to go to a LOT of places I might not have otherwise been able to go. It's my first RV, surprise there... When I got it, I wasn't even sure I was going to like RVing. Or dealing with an RV and all the 'stuff' that comes with it. But I fell in love, learned more, and will be moving on to something bigger, and a little higher up the ladder. A Newmar actually. Calling someone else's RV a junker is pretty harsh.

My advice would be to run your MH through NADA using the actual 90k+ mileage and list it for the high price that NADA suggests while being willing to settle for the low NADA price. You have a MH that is appealing to lots of young families who want to move up from their starter RV and also to others who have plans for alternate uses of the bunk area. Depending on your location, it should sell quickly.

Have a great time in your next MH.

For what it's worth, if I were in the market for a coach I might be more inclined to go higher mileage AND newer versus lower mileage AND older.

I had a 1995 Pace Arrow 35 that I sold last October. Better than fair condition but it was showing that it was 20 years old in areas and sometimes that patina can't be fixed. It also had 20 year old components and a drivetrain with 65,000 miles all with a trailer and 7,500 pounds behind it.

In my case it was put on Craig's List and sold in less than three weeks. The buyer was a guy that a) had a budget and b) planned to park at his property and use it on weekends with little driving. For him it was perfect. And in my case I only needed one person to like it and want it.

If I were looking at your rig I would be more interested in the coach that likely hasn't been worn out in the last six years and still has plenty of life left in it. Get it good and clean and be honest with a potential buyer but don't gloss over the high points. Mileage should be overshadowed by the care you took of it and after that it's a six year old coach in good shape.

Finally, are you located in a place where there are buyers? Can you move it and consign it where there is more traffic?

don't undersell it just because you have owned it for 90k miles....that motorhome is some young family's dream rig.

good marketing is what turns one man's trash.... into another man's treasure.....

Craigslist is free...you have nothing to lose, ....just keep a separate email account for Craigslist and if you go to show it to someone meet them in a public place.

Yes, many people are afraid of what they view as high mileage, and for dealers the perceptions of their buyers is all-important.  They don't want a rig that is likely to sit on their lot a long time, waiting for a budget-minded buyer who will ignore the miles.

That said, there should be little difficulty selling it on the private market if it is still clean and reasonably priced. The online NADA guide is based on average depreciation rather than actual market process for similar rigs, so it probably is high for a high-mileage coach like yours. Price it below average retail, at what you feel is fair, and you will likely find a buyer fairly quickly. The private sale market is generally trading at low retail price range anyway, or maybe even high wholesale.

And it's not a "junker" at all. 

Really, really appreciate the responses! I bit the bullet and put it on craigslist, right in the middle of average and low retail.

I have a trip planned for next week/weekend, then I will do a super cleaning (which I do every spring anyway).

Word of caution....when you sell it, have the buyer meet you at THEIR bank and do the transaction there. Have the bank draw up a cashiers check for you while you are there at the bank. Fake cashiers checks are easily made up.

cadee2c said:
Word of caution....when you sell it, have the buyer meet you at THEIR bank and do the transaction there. Have the bank draw up a cashiers check for you while you are there at the bank. Fake cashiers checks are easily made up.

When we sold our Bounder to an out of town couple, this is what we did. We went to a mutually agreeable bank and stood at the counter as the cashier cut the check. It made for an easy transaction, as we also were able to sign the Title and Bill of Sale in the safety of the bank facilities.

cadee2c said:

x2

RV dealer speak

Buying...That diesel will go a 1,000,000 miles.

Selling...You have 100,000 miles! That diesel is worn out.

A mechanically inclined buyer would rather see higher miles with regular usage than lower miles with a whole lot of sitting in storage, especially recent sitting. Proof that it is still toodling down the road on a regular basis will be helpful. Still registered and a current state inspection sticker plus a willingness for a test drive long enough to reach full operating temps will go a long way. You should still expect some price dickering. I see you plan a trip next weekend, keep receipts to prove it went somewhere.

Bill

Your guys (and gals) are awesome! Thank you, would not have thought of that.

Thanks Bill :) We definitely use her! I usually can't wait to get her de-winterized in Apr and am sad when I put her away for the winter in Nov (I pushed it to Dec one year!)....I love traveling in my RV! We usually do two long weekend trips a month, and two 7-10 day trips in summer/fall.

The service techs I work with don't do the politically correct and sweet words routines in the shop with no customers around. I fit in well, because like me, we do the straight talk. It is better to know what you are selling or buying, than to allow the industry to deceive you. The industry does an excellent job of making beautiful things that are delicate (junk).

My view is that the v10 v53 super duty mh chassis is a lot better chassis than the house that is put on it by most of the mfgs. To build quality and stay competitively priced, you basically, with some exceptions, have to build heavy and that translates to diesel and a luxury or full-time quality market.

And that is not a humble opinion.

Look at other dealers. Some aren't so snobby on taking trade-ins. A good salesman can sell any rig!

My favorite RV lot sells and buys only used, nothing new. They seem to have pretty fast turnover and aren't scared to take anything on trade. Some dealers are just plain lazy, they want only late model low mileage rigs to resale. Other lots are very flexible and more than happy to make you a trade offer. I would travel to other dealers.

Also go camping and put for sale signs with price and phone on all 4 sides. That gets people talking. it doesn't hurt if you set up camp outside to smile and wave at anyone going past and offer to show them the rig. People talk...

The price is a big help. Folks are too scared to knock on doors if no price is shown. So show the price! People know people who want to buy something, or someone is already in the park curious about buying yours.

I would favor campgrounds that have tents too. Many tent folks are looking to get into a rig. But I for one would go talk to other dealers.

Back
Top Bottom