Service cost on 5500 Onan generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 5500 in my Bounder. Their is no coolant in it unless yours is water cooled, mines not. The oil filter cost me about 5 bucks at the auto store. Mine has a inline fuel filter on it and it cost 1.50 at the same auto store and all together it took my 5 minuets to replace it all

Same here, both of ours are air cooled. We usually pick up our parts at Cummins, a little more expensive, but we know that we're getting quality parts designed for the units. Oil filters usually run $8-9, fuel filters about $10, air filters a little more. Oil can sometimes be picked up at the auto parts store on sale, we're were told by the guys at Cummins that Valvoline is the same oil that they use. There's nothing difficult about changing any of these. If you need to, order a service manual from Cummins, I think they're about $18.

We change the oil and filter on the work truck monthly, tune-ups are about every 3-4 months, and once a year, take it in for a major service and let them look it over real well. This usually runs between $300-400. But this unit gets worked every day and if it goes down, we're out of business.

I'd expect to pay around $100 if I took it to an RV dealer, without the coolant (mine is air cooled as well).  Oil, Air, and Fuel filter cost (together) around $25 from Cummins.  3.5 quarts of oil ~ $15, plus an hour of labor.

My local RV service and storage place charges $55 labor to service a generator.  They check the air and fuel filters.  They change the Oil and Oil Filter, parts cost is around $15 I think.  There is no additional labor cost to replace air or fuel filters so if you wanted those done as well it would be the cost of the Cummins filters.  They are a Cummins/Onan certified shop so they only use Cummins/Onan parts.

Jeff

I'd expect to pay $25-35. Note that is for a gasoline generator, which I believe this is and a reasonable shop. It also assumes the engine is serviced (oil, filter, lube) at the same time. I typically find it costs just under $100 for both services.
Ernie
PS I don't find it necessary to change fuel filters often on gasoline engines.

I would expect to pay for about 0.7 hours of labor plus the cost of the oil and filters fora full gas generator service. The shop price for oil and filters is usually greater than your local store, so maybe $40 + labor if they do air & fuel filters +  oil & filter. A bit less if they don't do the fuel filter.  RV service centers are getting $75-$120/hour these days, depending on the region, so figure the price in your area.

$55-$65 for a gas generator oil change is probably typical, but that's not a full service. On the other hand, generators that aren't run much probably don't need air and fuel filters either. I have often just knocked the lose dirt from an genset air filter and re-installed, and fuel filters can be done every 3rd or 4th oil change. And they may also need spark plug(s) at the same time.

Larger diesel gensets are water cooled so need periodic coolant change, plus the fuel filters are a bit more expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wanda56
Back
Top Bottom