Service stations and RVs ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasamski

We are leaving on our first cross country trip in a new RV. When I owned a 26-foot Class C RV getting gas at most service stations was not a problem. Now I have a large Class A, and I'm pulling a car, and getting into many service stations is impossible. How does one know if a service station off a turnpike or interstate is RV friendly? Does one just look for truck stops? Thanks for any responses.

I will admit some stations are just too tough getting in or out with our 36' but most are not a problem. I find looking for a truck stop, then dealing with the whole situation more a pain then just using the station that's on my way. I usually get fuel around a 1/2 tank and that is when I'm getting off the freeway for the night anyway, I never get off just for fuel. On my way through town to the CG I just look over the stations and pull into one that looks the quietest, which is usually NOT the ones by the exit ramps. The ones right off the freeway are almost always the highest prices also. The other option is using one of the fuel websites that night to find the best price where ever you are staying and hitting it in the am when leaving town. I haven't been in a truck stop in a number of years, too pricey where I hang out. Experiment and find what makes you comfortable, and enjoy the trip. JM2C.

Also Pilot which is owned by Flying J.  Look for the RV lanes. They have propane and bump stations, and also a discount card, I think it is .03 per gallon discount.

Actually, Pilot bought Flying J, but the end result is the worst of the 2, Pilot.  Flying J is no longer as price competitive as they were before, and some stores had to be sold as part of the merger, usually to Loves.  For gas, and diesel too, look for stations with the pumps parallel to the store for easier in and out.  We have been buying a lot of diesel at smaller stations like Valero, Conoco, Exxon, Holiday Stationstores, rather than the truck stops as the prices are lower and many have separate pumps easily accessible.  Just don't wait until you must have fuel, buy it when it's convenient and the price is right.  We try to drive on the top half of the tank so we have a large cushion if we can't find a good fuel stop right away.

We have a 34 foot A class and we pull a pick up.
I ''scout out'' a service station before I pull in.  I have driven this outfit over 115,000 miles so I can just ''look'' at the service station access to the pumps and figure if i should pull in or not.  One thing I look for is pumps parelell with the road.  Down in Sc there are small mom and pop stations with two pumps paralell too the road.  Easy in and out but you block the whole store front when you stop but the gas you buy is their big sale of the day.  Another thing I watch for is gas stations that you can go all the way around the station.  I use this a lot and I pull in and go all the way around so I am pointing OUT. when I stop at the last pumps on the left front of the station.  This will usually give you a straight shot out of the station as the driveway is usually right in front of you then. 
Good luck ...............cj.............
We are losing WW2 vets at a thousand a month.  When you see one,  tell them THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE.  If not for them ....... WE WOULD BE SPEAKING GERMAN OR JAPANESE.........  think about it ....cj......

I'm also very fussy about what station I get fuel at towing my 31' Jayco Eagle which makes me roughly 52' long so getting into and out of some station a bit tricky but I've got my handful locally that I use. But more times out of ten I'll look for truck stops for fuel much easier that way. But Since I live in the mountain of Idaho and long ways from truck stops I'm forced sometimes to use the tight Mom and Pop places. Like I said it a bit tricky but I do it.

You can get the book "The Next Exit". It gives the facilities available at all the Inter State exits. It also has all RV friendly facilities in marked in red. This should help you with easy access in and out and larger parking if required.

I use Gas Buddy to find the stations with diesel, and the price and location I like, then Google Earth to confirm to layout. There are many stations that I can get in and out of without harm if I know the layout and can plan my approach. My 43' coach and toad put me just under 63 feet total. It can be done if you are patient and plan ahead. I have yet to find that ANY pilot/loves/flying J are the cheapest fuel when I needed it. I have fueled there on occasion for convenience and didn't like the cleanliness of the place. I've also noticed that the prices advertised on the big billboards are often only for commercial trucks with PUC/IFSTA cards. When you pull in the price is magically 7-10 cents higher. You just have to decide where you are happiest at.

Ken

My biggest complaint is the diesel pumps that don't have the passenger nozzles for diesel..
I've often wondered if my fill pipe could be enlarged to accommodate the larger nozzle..
I have wondered if the newer coaches can fill from the "truck" pumps..
Since I have to fill slowly it would probably be an issue at those pumps for me anyway..still..

George

thomasamski said:
Now I have a large Class A, and I'm pulling a car, and getting into many service stations is impossible. How does one know if a service station off a turnpike or interstate is RV friendly? Does one just look for truck stops? Thanks for any responses.

Someone mentioned "Next Exit" which is a good source. 

We have pretty much settled into using Flying J's a lot ... not exclusively, but I find most are convenient with the RV pumps (see you are gasser like us).  Also have the propane, water and dump available at most if needed.  They are usually spaced out every 2-300 miles and are handy for the overnight stops while traveling. 

I have been watching more lately and have not noticed much difference in price in the area where we fueled ... which of course can vary around the country for sure. 

So in our case it is for ease of access, generally knowing what to expect and not necessarily for the RV discount ($0.03) ... but certainly not exclusively.

Howard

I have wondered if the newer coaches can fill from the "truck" pumps.

We've been filling at truck pumps since we got our first diesel more than 10 years ago.  One advantage is "fresh" diesel and the other is maneuvering ability.  If you have a slow fill, it might not work as well.  Truck pumps generally are fast fill.

By the way, we used a lot of Pilot/Flying Js this summer and they have improved since the initial takeover problems.  We also got the RV discount just as previously (requires card).  One place hadn't made the changeover very well and Jerry had to go into the cashier twice, before and after, just like we used to do in the early days but that only happened once.  The others were just like the Flying J days.

ArdraF

Since I'm a gasser I just aim the nose of my RV at Costco, and fill up there whenever possible. A few can be challenging but I've always been able to get in and out.  I try to avoid the average neighborhood service stations unless it's marked RV friendly.  Here in the NW most the Fred Meyer stores have gas stations and they are pretty wide open as well.

After awhile you get used to "eyeballing" fuel stations to see if you can see a way to get through and back out again. If I can't spot it beforehand, I don't pull in.

So many service stations have the pumps oriented toward the store these days (no room to pull forward around the pumps) that we seldom use them anymore. There simply isn't room for our 63 ft, so we use truck stops instead. Mostly Pilot/Flying J or Hess.

I am not embarrassed if I am pressed for fuel to pull to the curb short of the curb cut, turn the flashers on, and check the apron and the turning room. That's usually far easier to do as you get west and in smaller towns. It's a habit I picked up landing on small or grass airports and watching for hazards.

The stories are endless of "I was sure I could make it" and just a few minutes of your time to carefully check would preclude an insurance event.

We take advantage of the top half tank of fuel, wide driveways at truck stops, mom and pop places in the country, scouting fuel stops, all the things previously mentioned.

Fueling your rig does not have to be a high risk adventure. Have more fun!

thomasamski said:
We are leaving on our first cross country trip in a new RV. When I owned a 26-foot Class C RV getting gas at most service stations was not a problem. Now I have a large Class A, and I'm pulling a car, and getting into many service stations is impossible. How does one know if a service station off a turnpike or interstate is RV friendly? Does one just look for truck stops? Thanks for any responses.

Do yourself a favor, stick with the truck stops . I have made the mistake of trying to pull off into one of those stations off the hiway only to find out I cant fit ! Then spend the next 45 minutes stuck on a two lane back country road trying to find a place to turn around or somehow get back to the hiway.

Does anybody use the large commercial stations like Pacific Pride or similar types?  I was thinking when we go full time next year that these would be a good idea, built for large trucks, plenty of room, and 24/7/365, any thoughts?
Thanks
John

Those are card lock stations and you need an account with them to use their fuel.  There are no prices posted and you get billed at the end of the month.  I do believe Pacific Pride had an RV account offering, but don't know if it's still available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom