Sewer Hose Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raceman3

How do most people store the sewer hose, in the bumper?  I can fit mine inther minus the fittings but don't you end up with a rust problem from water left in the hose.  What about the other fittings, store them in a plastic garbage bag?

I can fit mine in the bottom of the storage bin where the dump valves are located.

I put an old spare hose in my bumper one time.  Got about 30 miles down the freeway and looked over to see the passenger in the next car frantically waving at me and pointing to the rear of our MH.  I looked in the side rearview mirror and saw the hose half out of the bumper whipping around like some wild python on drugs.  :eek:

By the time I got stopped, the hose had completely fallen out.  The bumper cap was probably several miles back.  :'(

I store mine (several, different lengths) along with all the adapters, donuts, etc in a large plastic bin in one of the basement storage bays. There's just not enough room in the service bay.

My RV has a built in storage area but it's too short for my extension so I added a PVC hose storage tube to the frame. I keep one hose in one and the other in the pipe. I keep the attachments in a plastic bag in the belly storage area. I noticed that many of the new RVs have a "service compartment" which has all the water/sewer connections, etc all in one compartment. Apparently they figure you will store your sewer hose in there too because I didn't see any hose storage area. Bad idea IMHO and not for me. I don't want my sewer hose anywhere near any of my fresh water hoses/connections.

raceman3 said:
How do most people store the sewer hose, in the bumper?  I can fit mine inther minus the fittings but don't you end up with a rust problem from water left in the hose.  What about the other fittings, store them in a plastic garbage bag?

I store it in the bumper.  Been doing so for 12 years.  Not rusted thru yet.  By the way, my hoses fit, fittings and all.  There are a number of sewer-end fittings that have removable elbows to permit that.  ValTerra makes one.

You can also buy a PVC tube designed to store hoses and clamp that to the bumper or elsewhere - wherever it fits. Or you can make one from a large PVC pipe and fittings found at your local home center or plumbing supply shop.

I use one of those PVC tubes designed for tank hose storage and it works fine except that I have to remove the fitting which attaches the hose to the MH.

That same fitting won't go through the opening at the bottom of the plumbing bay. It's annoying. I have to feed the hose through the opening, attach the plastic fitting and then connect to the MH tank evacuation thing. To disconnect the hose after flushing I have to reverse the process: remove the fitting first.

I hope I explained that without being confusing. Does anybody else have this problem or a solution to it? I'm wondering if I can get a larger opening panel.

When I had an Aljo 5er I kept mine in the bumper.  Had a friend who said his wouldn't fit in there, all he had to do was turn it about 45 degrees and it slid right in.  (aligned the protrusions on the fitting with the corner of the bumper.)

I now have a Cardinal 5er that does not have a bumper, and has a very small storage compartment for sewer hose which is worthless.  (will only hold a 10 ft hose without fittings  :-\ )

So I went to Camping World and got a PVC tube designed for that purpose and attached it under the trailer to carry the hose.  They come in different legenths.  Look HERE to see the type

Some fittings are slightly larger than others, so check around. I recall one I had that was just a tiny bit too large for an opening. A few licks with a coarse file fixed that and it still clamped on tightly.

I like others use the bumper, I carry the everyday hose on the driver side and a spare on the other side. All sewer fittings and adapters are stowed in a plastic container that is used only for that purpose. I use the Rhino hose which will collapse nicely and fit the tube, it is also a good durable hose. I also use another dedacated plastic container for fresh water supplies, filters, Y fittings, nozzels etc.

Nelson

Thanks for the input, soory it took me so long to get back to this thread.  Looks like the bumper it is.  I think I'll replace my end caps with ones that remove a little easier as they are not designed to be taken on and off

I think I'll replace my end caps with ones that remove a little easier

Just make sure they don't remove too easily or you might arrive at a campground only to find your sewer hose is gone.  We see many of them lying alongside the road.  We even saw one recently near Goblin Valley State Park UT on a four-wheel drive road alongside a wash.  Wondered how it got there!

Ardra

I just finished mounting a new sewer hose storage tube this afternoon.  I used a five foot piece of pvc with a transition to 6".  I added a treaded end to the transision piece and a threaded cap that screws in.  So, the hose fits into the 4" section and the adapter  just fits into the short 6" section.  The whole thing is mounted laterally on two frame members.  It all fits in the back yard but have not tried it in use yet.

Mark

raceman3 said:
Thanks for the input, soory it took me so long to get back to this thread.  Looks like the bumper it is.  I think I'll replace my end caps with ones that remove a little easier as they are not designed to be taken on and off
I have always used the bumper. One of the first things I do is drill a hole in the bumper and cap ( vertical) to accept a pin, so that the cap does not fall off. the same pins are sold in by camping suppliers, but I am too cheap to buy one. The other end-cap gets a stainless screw. BTW, when I drill the hole, I first drill the bumper, then mark the position of the hole on the cap and drill the hole in the cap a little off center so that the pin stays tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richielk
Back
Top Bottom