Shurflo water pump: Leave it on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I'm using the fresh water tank all the time now rather than hooking up to the water connection in the park.  It's been cold at night, and I find this easier than taking a chance on a frozen hose. 

I thought I read someplace that the Shurflo water pump should be turned off once pressure has been achieved.  I have a switch for it on the monitor panel.  Should it be left on all the time, and it just kicks in when water is being used, or should it be turned on to repressurize the system after each use? 

The water tank and pump are under the sofabed.  In order to protect pipes and wiring from an exploring cat, I have the pump and pipes covered with a fleece blanket.  Should the pump be uncovered? 

--pat

Yes Pat, when using your fresh water tank rather than shore water, leave the pump switch on.  The pump should ONLY come on when you open a faucet, and will turn off shortly after you close it.  If you hear it running for any length of time other than that, you have a leak or broken pipe.  If you have an outside shower, make sure both hot and cold water handles are turned off. 

If you don't have a heated utility compartment where the pump is located, you can get a shop light at a Home Depot or auto parts store and place it in the utility compartment.  Use a 40 to 60 watt bulb ONLY.  That should keep the compartment warm enough to keep things from freezing up.

Rex:  Thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep it on.  I thought of the same thing.  If I hear it, something's running.  The shutoff valve on my toilet tends to stick, so the toilet keeps filling.  I need to take it apart and try to clean it.  The tubing is too tight for me to pull off and back on.  Anyway, leaving the pump on also would let me know if the toilet's running.  Great little alarm system.

--pat

Just in case you needed to hear it from more than one person.  The water pump is an on demand water pump.  When you open a water valve you are demanding water, the pump realizes the loss of pressure, the pump turns on and continues to pump until you close the water valve and the system is back under pressure.  The toilet isn't the only water supply that can keep the pump running, and I'm not just talking about the sink and shower.  The city water hookup is part of the system too.  If that little spring loaded valve isn't sealing shut water will come out of there too.

****DO NOT PUCH THE LITTLE VALVE IN WHEN THE SYSTEM IS UNDER PRESSURE TO TEST IT...  THE SPRING WILL POP OUT OF PLACE ORE THE PLASTIC VALVE SEAT WILL BREAK.*****

Just like when you are winterizing the camper.  Turn the pump off > open one of the water valves ( like the kitchen sink faucet) to releave the pressure > THAN...  go around outside to the city water hook up and push in on the valve.  There will still be minimal pressure on the system.  Enough to push the water out until you start seeing antifreeze if your winterizing.

Back
Top Bottom