Side project started....HF trailer "Teardrop"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easy enough to find out and yes I already know what it is. The tires are what is rated and they are not going to be staying one the wheels after it is built. Since the wheels are only 12" I will need to get a tire rated for more than these are and besides, any trailer that is bought used is likely going to need new tires....common sense tells us that.
I actually got almost twice the mileage on the tires that came with it from Harbor Freight as I did on the Carlise replacement tires I got from Walmart. I wore out a set of the Carlise's between Lamar, TX and Sheridan, Wy. Took 'em back to Walmart and the manager walked out to the bike/trailer to look at the tires and tried to tell me they were overloaded. I walked around to the back of the trailer and picked the whole thing up off the ground (It was still hitched to the bike). She folded and offered to replace the tires for 1/2 price but told me they couldn't mount them. A tire tech was walking by as she said that and said, "Yes we can, no problem." Boy did he get a dirty look from the manager. That was the last trip with the trailer as we bought our first Class A shortly thereafter and quit doing long rides on the bikes.

I had one of those Harbor Freight 40"x48" trailers. Here's what I did with it:

1936160_101119116568113_137460_n.jpg
Nice work! Looks great.

I built alot of these in my day as motorcycle trailers to store camping gear and stuff. Might i suggest a few things.

1. make sure it is perfectly square so it tracks correctly.

2. reinforce the tongue, they are well known to collapse (fold up) under stress. I always changed mine out for tube steel.

3. i always liked the look of diamond plate covering the tongue area, its not that expensive and looks great, plus it helps strengthen that area.

4. alittle trick to keep it from chirping down the road as they all do. Take some small sections of water hose or some other rubber tube and insert the bolt for the leaf springs through it, it will help quiet it down. Some of the newer models came with bushings to do this but the older ones did not.

5. while you have the frame available in that condition use this stuff or something similar to treat the inside of the frame against rust. Eastwood Internal Frame Coating Aerosol Black

6. Run the electrical (lights and power) and water now, its much easier.

Finally, remember to have fun with it, it can get frustrating at times trying to find material and deciding weight over convenience.

Best of luck... :)
Good ideasI always use magnetic trailer lights, but will be running electrical wiring before the walls go on the framing. The 4x8 HF trailer already has the tongue insert installed, but will need one for the smaller 40"x4' trailer.
I am using Rustoleum as a top coat and a rust inhibiting primer.

The last part won't be any trouble...:)

I'd consider riveted aluminum framing with stressed aluminum skin for weight purposes.
I agree with this. Using aluminum framing and skin will not only reduce weight, but also eliminate rotting and molding if water gets inside. Might be a little more expensive but may cost you less in the long run.

Yes, I also know what the axle is rated for and common sense will also tell you not to exceed that rating. No, the extra camping gear goes inside the truck or in the bed. Having had a lot of experience with vintage campers and extensive knowledge of teardrops [my buddy builds them], there won't be any weight issues.

Just found some Kenda 4.80x12 radials that I will be adding soon. 81 MPH rating and 1200 lbs per tire weight rating.
My bad, since you said you were putting a roof rack on it I errantly assumed you were going to put stuff in it. Best of luck, if it's not the super duty it has a gvwr of >1500 lbs. a working load limit of >1200 lbs. I have a similar size ( converted jet ski) trailer on which I carry three kayaks, fishing gear and a few roll up rugs. It weighs ~800 lbs. loaded

Here was mine, the bike won 1st place as classic in Tulsa at WindDing that year. I think a brought enough tarps with my that year for shade hee hee WOW Tulsa is humid... I miss my baby she was literally in pieces after the wreck.

bikenaward.jpg

My bad, since you said you were putting a roof rack on it I errantly assumed you were going to put stuff in it. Best of luck, if it's not the super duty it has a gvwr of >1500 lbs. a working load limit of >1200 lbs. I have a similar size ( converted jet ski) trailer on which I carry three kayaks, fishing gear and a few roll up rugs. It weighs ~800 lbs. loaded
I guess I should have covered all this in my first post about the project so no one would have to assume I needed to consider things like weight limitations, packing the teardrop/roof rack and speed ratings.

It's the Super Duty 1750#. The roof rack will be for light stuff like the easy-up, lightweight luggage with clothes, etc so the interior doesn't get filled during traveling. All the heavy stuff goes in the truck. Cedar is one of the lightest woods around and will make up most of the construction. The teardrop will come in around 1100 lbs loaded for camping. The new tires will be speed rated at 81mph, but will not be going over 70. By the time I beef up the frame and get the new hubs on, this little trailer will more than handle what I am going to be doing to it.

I have extensive construction experience [46 years] and have built out six vintage campers and the 7th is my current RV project. As I mentioned in the other post, my buddy has built several teardrops using this exact frame. I am well aware of the weight and speed limitations and I pull a 16' trailer almost daily in my business. I know all about how to wire the electrical system and after the RV project, I will know how to plumb the sink [another friend is a plumber].

I started camping on my own [after going with the family for over 14 years] at a very early age [50 years ago to be exact at 16]. I can pack without a list to go just about anywhere.

Appreciate the wish for luck, but I won't need it, common sense will play heavily on the build and use of the teardrop.

Reactions: SMR
Here was mine, the bike won 1st place as classic in Tulsa at WindDing that year. I think a brought enough tarps with my that year for shade hee hee WOW Tulsa is humid... I miss my baby she was literally in pieces after the wreck.

View attachment 164809
Mine started life setup like that...until a tree fell on it during the off season. I trashed the car carrier and built the stake bed. Then I got one of those cartop carrier bags they used to sell on ebay.

Here's the pic of the other little 40"x48" HF trailer my buddy gave me and it's weight capacity is surprisingly 1090 lbs! Needs new hubs and tires [I have the wheels and tires but the tires are dry rotted]. This one will have two layers as well...camping gear on bottom and a rack for chainsaw equipment and or rifles up top. I will be using it for all three. Weight on this one will be around 450 lbs max including the wood bed and stake sides but not including the trailer itself. Rack will also be wood. This one will never see the roads so there will be no wiring, license or lights necessary. It is only for storage of emergency camping gear for use on my friend's land and use in logging trees and visiting the shooting range I am going to build back in the woods.

Attachments

• C2A04830-4D68-4983-A667-85C5DB74D0CE.jpeg
    C2A04830-4D68-4983-A667-85C5DB74D0CE.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1
Got the new tongue on the little trailer and primer/paint is finished. Got two new hubs coming for the bigger one and going to put the existing hubs on the smaller off-road only trailer after I re-pack the bearings.

Attachments

• 89E6BD2D-91B2-4412-A9FD-EE1F42628938.jpeg
    89E6BD2D-91B2-4412-A9FD-EE1F42628938.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1B0D4C91-D896-444A-8FFE-9578A3830C3C.jpeg
    1B0D4C91-D896-444A-8FFE-9578A3830C3C.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 1
  • C0B833FF-BD6C-466E-B035-DE897C27F6C5.jpeg
    C0B833FF-BD6C-466E-B035-DE897C27F6C5.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 1
Lovely, now I got another project....lol. I have a trailer I built in the '80s to pull behind my motorcycle(s), but I haven't used it in probably 15 years. I pulled it out of the weeds recently, & prepared to start refurbishing it, when I ran across this thread. Well, I went down to HF & bought one over Memorial day weekend. Had a 25% off coupon, hung the frame parts off my son's kids swingset, & painted them yesterday. Headed over there today to assemble.

Last edited:
Lovely, now I got another project....lol. I have a trailer I built in the '80s to pull behind my motorcycles(s), but I haven't used it in probably 15 years. I pulled it out of the weeds recently, & prepared to start refurbishing it, when I ran actoss this thread. Well, I went down to HF & bought one over Memorial day weekend, had a 25% off coupon, hung the frame parts off my son's kids swingset, & painted them yesterday. Headed over there today to assemble.
Very cool...post some pics when you can, interested to see how it progresses!

Got the two new castle nuts today and the new hubs for the teardrop build. Haven't yet packed the bearings on the new Tractor Supply hubs, but I did crack open the ones on the larger HF trailer today only to find those had already been re-packed! So they are now on the smaller trailer.

BTW this is the off-road only trailer in case you might not have gleaned that from the other posts. Going to be a camping gear trailer for my tent and tent camping stuff to pull behind the four wheeler.

Attachments

• 0B1B258F-5CD1-4A37-86C5-EFE38827145E.jpeg
    0B1B258F-5CD1-4A37-86C5-EFE38827145E.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 1
  • E36B6619-6BDB-457D-8779-F2B422EEEA11.jpeg
    E36B6619-6BDB-457D-8779-F2B422EEEA11.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 6731B3DA-24FE-450E-8E06-7B517DEDEBDA.jpeg
    6731B3DA-24FE-450E-8E06-7B517DEDEBDA.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 1
Got both of mine rolling today after the two sets of tires came in. The off road trailer frame got ATV style tires [4.80x8] and the teardrop frame got 81 mph rated highway tires [4.80x12]. All got mounted and balanced at my local tire store.

I used the SwanLake bearing packer tool from Amazon and got all 4 of the new hub bearings packed in less than 5 minutes with virtually no mess!

Attachments

• IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 3
@DeckArtist;
Here's the requested pic of the more or less finished project...there's a few little things I want to do to it yet, but it hit the road yesterday.View attachment 165182

That's exactly how mine was set up when I got it. A branch had fallen on the carrier and cracked the lid almost in half. I junked the carrier and went with the stake bed/cartop bag configuration.
Did you have to raise the fenders to swap to the 12" wheels? I was going to do that, but we bought a motor home and pretty much quit bike camping before I got around to it.

I had one of those that I used for utility purposes. It was rated at 1/2 ton and I hauled fire wood, building materials and at times boyscout camping gear for about 12 years... Just had 1/2 " 4x8 plywood sheet for a deck and it worked great. Just make sure you get tires rated for highway speed and watch your loading weight. Frame ended up rusting out on me and I sadly had to retire it.
Be sure to post pictures of your progress... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom