slide actuators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aeh56

32 ft Thor motorhome 2010 era... here are some symptoms on a malfunctioning slide....with at least 13.5 volts on the batts it moves but not fully, the motor can be heard sometimes but not others.After a try the voltage goes down to 12.5 aprox. Does this sound like a bad slide actuator? Is it hard to get into the actuators and test them somehow..? One of the slides is a shallow one anyway and goes only about 2 ft out but that's full out....the other one won't even go out but a few inches. But more importantly they don't go in...is there a way to manually get them in???thanks

Hard to say. The actuator is essentially just a power relay plus a polarity reverser (the motor runs in or out depending on which terminal receives the +12v power). Once the actuator closes the circuit, the motor should run a full cycle as long as the voltage is sufficient. 13+ is good, less than that is iffy. You say the motor runs some but doesn't move the slide all the way? That sounds like battery power get depleted too quickly, more like a battery problem than actuator. But if the motor doesn't run at all. either the actuator didn't deliver power or the voltage was so low the motor could run at all.

Most slides have a manual method for emergencies, but how it works depends on the type of slide mechanism, e.g. Power Gear, Lippert, HWH, Schwintek, etc. Will need to identify yours to give more help. Some you disconnect the gearing and literally push the slide in (get a couple young fellows to help), others may provide some sort of hand crank or direct you to use a heavy duty ratchet of your own.

the RV is a 2010 Hurricane with 2 slides. The pic I saw had 1 main slide and a bedroom slide. But this one has only side slides in the middle. How can I get to the mechanical to check it?
From underneath or from inside? Pics help. thanks much..

Sorry, but I have no idea where the Four Winds factory may have hidden the slide actuator on your Hurricane, and the location of the drive motor depends on what brand of slide mechanism was used. I'm not familiar with your particular year, make & model of coach.

If it is a rack & pinion gear slide, you should be able to see the motor and gearshaft from underneath by opening the outside storage door(s) below the slide and looking upward.

I watched the videos on the Lippert systems and they are not complicated.Do you think I have a Lippert?
I can troubleshoot them fairly easily. But does the coach have to be jacked up???? That will be a problem up in the woods.

I saw the prices on little actuator motors...simple little DC motors...pure Larceny...outright theft by an industry that survives on excess. 1200 dollars for a simple wiper type motor.
But there are ways around it.

Sorry, I have no idea how your Hurricane is equipped. Try to find a slide component with a label on it.

Those motors are standard items outside the RV industry, so once you identify the motor specs, or the actual manufacturing source, you can usually buy them for less than half the "RV price". The internet can be a godsend for identifying a part and locating a source.

Do you have an owner manual for the coach. I found a 2008 version online that ought to be close.

Last edited:
look at this...what do you see based on this?It looks like the rack/pinion kind that is inside under the slide floor itself ,no??
this pic was taken from outside under the slide..she said this about it
"Two of the pic on each side of bottom of slide.
At 14.1, would not budge, but motor sounds strong and co/lp alarm did not go off,meaning enough battery for slide ."

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_162734090.jpg
    IMG_20220809_162734090.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 6
We managed to get that slide in. The other one is ok now. Don't know why. I cut into the OSB on the inside structure of the slide. It was glued and I made a mess. Underneath is a steel framework but I didn't see everything and didn't see the motor.
But the motor works now at 14 v and its quiet. So maybe the problem all along was the top leaning out a bit. Its out of alignment. But I didn't see any adjustments like in a thru-frame set up. The owner has a mobile tech coming in a month...he should know the story. Meanwhile she can live with 1 slide.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom