Slide lubrication points

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtnGoat

I'm looking for a diagram or pictures of the slide mechanism showing lubrication points for the rack & pinion style. After many years of operation I'm sure it could use some servicing.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Slide.jpg
    Slide.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 32
I would use a dry silicon spray lubricant. If you use a regular grease, it will attract and hold dirt.

There is little need for lubrication of a rack & pinion slide. The mechanical mechanism gets very little wear & tear - the gearing is coarse and moves seldom and slowly.  In fact, greasy or sticky lubricants that can attract and hold dirt are more likley to cause wear than prevent it.  If you feel obligated to lube it, use a dry silicone spray on the gear rack.

My understanding of these slide mechanisms, ie. no need to lubricate, is exactly what Gary has said.  Only thing I do is to check and clean debris, dirt accumulation etc. on the mechanisms.  I also have on occasion, infrequently, wipe down with a rag sprayed with silicon lube.

Thanks guys. That explains why there are lots of videos of operation and adjustment. Nothing about lubrication.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom