Snow in Las Vegas - Dec. 17, 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

It has been snowing in Las Vegas for a couple of hours now.  During the last couple of days all the surrounding mountains had a lot of snow, but that's to be expected.  After all, those peaks are over 10,000 feet high with three in the 11,000 foot range.  No, this snow is on the valley floor.  We had an 11:00 a.m. appointment on the west side of town and it was snowing when we came out of there, while we made a couple of stops, and here it is after 3:00 p.m. and still snowing.  Truly a winter wonderland.  Jerry was able to take these photos before there were any footprints.  It's a wet snow and the temperature is 32 degrees.

ArdraF

Attachments

• LV Snow-1Sm.JPG
    LV Snow-1Sm.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 66
  • LV Snow-2Sm.JPG
    LV Snow-2Sm.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 64
I think I mentioned to Jerry when we last talked that it was coming their way.  Not nearly as much as at Sam's Camp but is a lot for Las Vegas.  You and Jerry enjoy cause it won't last too long.  Thanks for the photos.  Oh Sam looked at thiose and said WOW.

Ron,

Yes.  WOW!  It's now dark outside, but the streets are white.  At 5:00 p.m. it's still snowing and EVERYTHING is white!  This is the most snow we've ever seen here and it's not finished.

ArdraF

Ardra I hope Vegas is not trying to keep up with Sam's Camp in the area of snow fall.  But then I heard they were forcasting possibly as much as 10 inches and if that happens you will have out done us. ;D ;D ;D  Hope the wind doesn't come up that could really make a mess of things.

How are the roads?  Will Clark County have to close the schools tomorrow?

Attached is a photo of my granddaughters taken outside of their Las Vegas area home this afternoon.  They're coming to our home near San Diego next week for Christmas.  I told my daughter they better not bring that white stuff with them.  :)

Attachments

• LVNV ChillyKids 2008 12 17.jpg
    LVNV ChillyKids 2008 12 17.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 47
This was a couple of days ago up across the freeway from Area 51

The cat is Duncala  (if I've spelled it right) and she has seen snow before being a Michigan Kitty..

But she was NOT happy at being put on the picnic table or so I'm told :)

They tell me up to a foot here in S.E. Mich tonight but less where I live, plus rain and sleet    OH JOY

I don't shovel snow when sleet or rain is predicted.. i'd rather the rain freeze ON TOP of the snow

Attachments

• Dunkla-Snow-s.JPG
    Dunkla-Snow-s.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi All from snowy Las Vegas!

Here's an update since I posted last night.  It continued snowing until 9:00 or 10:00 p.m.  Jerry took some photos while it was still daylight, after dark, and this morning.  The one in daylight shows how the Palo Verde tree kept snow off the ground under it.  The night photo of our front patio clearly shows snowflakes in the air.  The one taken this morning is what the road looked like outside our gate.  Jerry and I went for a walk last night about 8:00 p.m. and it was gorgeous with huge snowflakes.  The snow was deep enough (a few inches) that it took more effort than usual to walk.

Roads.  There were huge numbers of accidents.  At one point last night there were more than 140.  A couple of the TV stations eliminated their regular programming to report on the weather and traffic all evening.  Some of the reporters were commenting that drivers were coming up on intersections at regular speeds and not taking in account reduced driving conditions.  But, hey, this is Las Vegas and no one obeys the speed laws or the red lights anyway!  The only way out of Las Vegas last night was north on I-15 to Mesquite and Salt Lake City.  Railroad Pass on the way to Boulder Dam and Laughlin was closed.  I-15 south between Primm and Baker CA was closed.  Highway 160 to Pahrump was closed.  All the roads up to Mt. Charleston were closed.  U.S. 95 in the northwest I believe was also closed farther north out of the valley.  In other words, every pass was closed.  They hoped to open I-15 south of Primm by noon today.  They said on the TV that there are only 12 snowplows in all of Clark County, so it's not surprising the passes were closed.  Every time we went outside we could hear sirens, so the police and paramedics had a busy night.

Trees and bushes.  All were bent over from the weight of the snow.  Some still are, but we're starting to see ponds of water where the snow has started to melt.  It's about 41 degrees now.  We have one Trichocereus cactus in the front patio that had an inch or so of snow where there normally are blossoms.

Schools.  SNOW DAY on Thursday!  Never thought I'd see that here....  But, of course, the kids think it's great.

Snowman.  Two on our street.  One is still inact at 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

TV reception.  Our satellite dish got full of snow so we couldn't get DirecTV.  No signal at all.  Jerry changed over to the local TV antenna and we watched local stations.

The Black Mountains in the southeast part of the valley near Railroad Pass are gorgeous!  There is snow on them all the way to the valley floor.  The sky is blue, the air is clear, and it doesn't look like a desert!

ArdraF

Attachments

• Snow-09 (Large).JPG
    Snow-09 (Large).JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Snow-27 (Large).JPG
    Snow-27 (Large).JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Snow-29 (Large).JPG
    Snow-29 (Large).JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 36
Those photos look just like Wisconsin :)  Smart people will stay off the streets until the snow is cleared.

A couple of days ago they reported snow at just 180 feet near our old town of Livermore, CA. No snow here in the Delta (we're less than 10 feet above sea level), but Chris is at our daughter's place at 3500 feet in the Sierra foothills. They started getting snow several days ago, with more on its way. Our grandson had a "snow day" from school yesterday. Lows up there are around 20, and I pleaded with Chris not to leave until mid morning; Gives time for things to warm up a little, for the road crews to do their work on the hill, and traffic to have moved any remaining stuff from the road. Doesn't help with the road to the kids' place - it's in the middle of a forest, but Chris took the Burb, which has auto 4-wheel traction control.

Back
Top Bottom