So I did a dumb thing....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

truline

So today I moved our fifth wheel to a new pad we developed on our property. We now have a full hookup and as such I wanted to clean off the sensors in the black tank. Since have owned it I have never been able to get them to read properly. I can dump the tank flush it abut as soon as I fill the toilet bowl with water and stick a deodorizer pod in he tank indicates half full. I bought some tank sensor cleaner pods and proceeded to fill the black tank as per the instruction. To do this I stuck a small piece of PVC piping, about 4" long by 1 1/2" in diameter. After filling and dropping the cleaner pod in I was talking with my wife while doing this I didn't get my hand on the PVC before releasing the toilet valve and whoosh it is in the tank. Anyone else ever done this? If so, what was your method to get it out?

I would dump the tank then disassemble the drain valve and hopefully the pipe will be right there. My valves are right at the tank outlet.

Since you dropped it in the tank while it was cleaned out, I certainly would not use the tank for anything until it was removed.  Tanks come in various sizes and configurations.  Either Rene suggestion or, you might be able to remove toilet and simply reach inside and grab it, or take a stick and scoot it closer.  You can buy Flexible Wireless Endoscope on Amazon that would let you get inside and investigate.  Anyway you look at it, it's a crappy job  ;).  Good luck

SpencerPJ said:
or, you might be able to remove toilet and simply reach inside and grab it, or take a stick and scoot it closer. 

Hopefully, that's the type of install they have. My pipe has a couple of 45 degree elbows before it enters the tank. I can't see the bottom of the tank. Hopefully they can.

Next time use a longer pipe (long enough it can't do that) or put a "T" fitting on the end of the pipe and make a giant "T" so the pipe can not fall down (only needs to be about six inches on the top of the T)

And... I think you'll find over time that your black tank sensors will (again) give inaccurate readings. So it is probably not worth future efforts. It's almost impossible to keep the sensors from gathering bits of TP and other "crud" that will usually show the tanks full even when they're not.

Annndddd I am one lucky son of a gun. I drained the tank and all of the water and cleaning solution came out. At the end I heard the clunk of the pipe. I banged with my hand on the drain pipe. It didn't come out but I knew it was at the outlet and I turned on the flush water from the flusher adapter and boom it slid out and into the adapter!

Lesson learned! Do't try and be smart and stick something in your toilet valve that will in all likely hood fall into the tank!

Roy M said:
;D You got lucky!

Yup, happy such an easy fix.  Don't count on that second time.  They actually make gizmos that fit into toilet to hold open and wont fall in, I have one, can't remember where I ever got it years ago.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom