Sonoran Hotdog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll look look forward to your report.

Can you stargaze there tonight with a new moon to help you out?

A close up photo from El Teo:

AF1QipNSss8dTmhyW9b0VkpeUBQT3mEs9-2xedFpshwM=s1024

Do they mash the pinto beans or put them on the hotdog whole? I can't tell from the pic.

I see they are still using Styrofoam out there. We don't use that here in my county anymore.

That is a bolillo not a hot dog bun. Beans are to be whole or "de la olla". The bolillos are made of sourdough (Mexican recipe). Where my family is from (Jalisco) the bolillos are called birotes and date back from when the Spanish came to Mexico.

Growing up, birotes were used to make any kind of sandwich, just like burritos. Just go to any Mexican store and you will find the Bolillos or Birotes. Take them and open them from the top or the side, and stuff them with beans, cheese, meat of your liking, or whatever left overs you have. Place them on a hot skillet and melt the cheese.

Well, I think the roll is the most important ingredient for this.

So, the bun must be a bolillos and toasted.

What was the name of the place you already went to?

How about this place:

Those buns are a signature of “El Guero”: thick, fluffy bolillo rolls. Unlike typical hot dog rolls, these are sliced across part of the top, creating a “boat” in which to nestle the hot dog and its’ hefty heap of toppings.
New England hot dog rolls are sliced across the top

Well, I think the roll is the most important ingredient for this.
Okay, tomorrow I will have a late lunch at El Guero Canelo (5201 S. 12TH Ave, 85706).

That is close to the place I went to yesterday. Easy to get to from here.

Here is the photo of the Sonoran Hot Dog from El Guero Canelo:
1682014884856.png

Where my family is from (Jalisco) the bolillos are called birotes and date back from when the Spanish came to Mexico.
Cool. Neat information. I love sourdough. I was hoping the beans were whole.

Thanks.

Totally off topic, but have you visited the Titan museum before Don? It's just south of you. You can connect to the discone antenna there in the parking lot.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Totally off topic, but have you visited the Titan museum before Don? It's just south of you. You can connect to the discone antenna there in the parking lot.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Nope, but it does look interesting to me. Perhaps I will make it down there in my next trip down to the Tucson area.

On Monday, I plan in visiting the Sonoran Desert Museum again, since I have not been there for a few years. That is just up the road from where I am here at the Western Way.

-Don- Tucson, AZ

@ziplock

I just now got back from El Guero Canelo. Inside, everybody there was Mexican except for me. The place looks very Mexican inside and out.

The bun didn't make a big difference to me. But the flavor was quite a bit different. This one even had more stuff inside than the one from El Tio. I also checked the beans in this one, they were whole beans, not mashed. The extra stuff in this one covered up more of the bacon flavor. I cannot say which one I liked best, they were both very good, but different in flavor.

SHD.JPGbdgand bike.JPGdrink.JPGHDvan.JPGinside1.JPGinside2.JPGmenu.JPGOutsideBuilding.JPGrcpts.JPG

The back story to the Titan museum is a past curator is Chuck WA7ZZE (of Heathkit book fame) and he made it part of the exhibit to restore the Collins HF discage antenna to function. The connection to it is in the parking lot so anyone can just show up and use it, no admission to the museum necessary. I recall the frequency coverage was 5-35 MHz, so 40M would work like a hose on that thing. When I was in the USAF I did radio systems maintenance and repair at those sites in Kansas. Very interesting history. There's another Titan site in Arkansas that is privately owned that the guy turned into a B&B and conference center. I got to see that last year and it was fun being a tour guide to the owner and guests what it was like as an active site. As a bonus it makes an ideal tornado shelter, which isn't really optional in Arkansas.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Back
Top Bottom