South Dakota; Wyoming; or Montana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NTXFLTMR

Hello to all of you professional fisherman ........... I need help!!!  I'm leaving Texas in about 10 days for these states and then on to Br. Columbia and Alaska to go on a RV caravan tour.  Anyway, I haven't done very much fishing since I was a teenager and I'm afraid that I've probably forgot most everything that I knew.  In one of these areas should I hire a guide for a one day trip and if so which area?  My ultimate goal is to not be so green when I'm on the tour, because we will have several fishing opportunities.

Thanks,
David

David

I'm not a pro fisherman, but hiring a guide will certainly give you local knowledge, get you to the productive fishing holes, provide you with knowledge of baits/flies/lures and techniques, and it's a good bet you'll be catching fish. OTOH good guides don't come cheap. There are some relatively inexpensive fishing guide books on individual states that I've found useful and reasonably accurate. Another option is to drop into local bait and tackle shops and ask questions; Obviously they'll want to sell you something they have but, for the post part, I've been able to acquire good local knowledge this way.

NTXFLTMR said:
Hello to all of you professional fisherman ........... I need help!!!  I'm leaving Texas in about 10 days for these states and then on to Br. Columbia and Alaska to go on a RV caravan tour.  Anyway, I haven't done very much fishing since I was a teenager and I'm afraid that I've probably forgot most everything that I knew.  In one of these areas should I hire a guide for a one day trip and if so which area?  My ultimate goal is to not be so green when I'm on the tour, because we will have several fishing opportunities.

Thanks,
David

If the states you listed means your coming across I-90, take a look at fly fishing guides in and around Livingston, MT at x-333. There are a good number of professional guides in this area. They have access to some private fishing streams as well as the rives. Here's just one link http://www.dan-bailey.com/guidetrips.htm

BTW- A good campground in the area is Yellowstone Edge which litterally sits on the edge of the Yellowstone River and is sort of a centroid for all the guides and ranches in the area within a 20 mile radius. www.mtrv.com

Leo

That site also has some useful info such as river maps, hatch guides and fishing reports. Thanks.

If you are near the center of Montana stop by Sam's Camp in Lewistown.  Good fishing near there and I know a guy that can show you around as well as give some suggestions in other parts on Montana, Wyoming and even a little bit about Idaho.

Back
Top Bottom