Southwire SurgeSuppressor "Faulty Ground" failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MtnGoat

My built-in 35550 suppressor started disconnecting from shore power. I tried a variety of troubleshooting steps to determine if the problem was coming from the RV circuits or a faulty shore connection. The error code/msg was "Faulty Ground". That error message seemed illusive as I poured through Southwire's website. Finally a call to support. The tech was specific about the voltage readings across the suppressors input connections. When I asked about the faulty ground message, he quickly replied "Oh. That's a failed unit." Only fix is to replace.

Hours of troubleshooting and a missed trip. . . . .

I had a Surgeguard 40250 that developed the "faulty ground" fault, but it occurred only when the unit itself got hot. Mine was mounted on a bulkhead that was adjacent to the big diesel engine and would start throwing the erroneous fault after 3-4 hours of driving on a hot day. Once parked and it cooled down for an hour, the issue went away. I remounted the unit with a slab of insulating foam between the 40250 and the bulkhead and the problem went away.

had a Surgeguard 40250 that developed the "faulty ground" fault, but it occurred only when the unit itself got hot
Funny you said that. At first it seemed heat may have been the problem as the problem was more apparent during the afternoons. Since temperatures were not above 90F this would be a problem. The new unit solved the problem. Should this replacement become a problem, the Progressive Industries option will be exercised.

I think mine showed "Open ground" (not faulty but open) Turns out it was a screw loose.. the NEUTRAL wire in the park's distro box (Main box).... Not even at my site.. Or so said the guy with the screwdriver.
In any case... As someone said if that's a new Southwire/TRC not just a TRC.. Southwire upped the warranty to "lifetime".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom