Specs on Ford F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I'm late.

First, I found my truck on AutoTrader.com.  Lots of F350 listings, so I am sure it will have others as well.

Second, the dealers do not really understand tow ratings, they just read sales stuff that lies.

Third  (we had this issue, too.  DW had to have dual zone climate control) the heated seats require a Lariat or higher trim (unless things have changed recently).  This makes shopping a bit easier.  At least on my truck, heated seats were part of dual zone climate control, which was standard on all Lariat models.  When shopping on line, I filter out all trim lines less than Lariat.

Fourth as I have said before, you REALLY need the HDPP, which includes the 3.73 rear end.  My experience with dealers is that determining the rear end ratio is much easier than getting a straight answer on if it has HDPP or a pic of the yellow Payload label.

All VIN sites I have seen quote the spec sheet for the base truck with the correct body / drive train combination, and do not apply to the specific truck.

Try to get the dealer to guarantee $50 in gas money if the truck you asked about does NOT have the equipment and packages they claim it has.

Often, used Fords on the Ford lot has access to the original window sticker.  This can quickly verify it has the equipment you require.

2017 XLT here with Heated seats...But I agree with everything else

Hi I am new to this forum, but have just had and experience that is relative to this discussion. I was thinking of downgrading to a smaller 5th wheel, and wanted to know what my max tow capacity, and max payload was for my 2018 F150 Crew cab with a 5.5 box and a 5.0 liter V8. I checked the sticker on the inside of the drivers door frame and my payload was 2081 lbs.

Just to double check that I got online with my Ford dealer with my VIN# and a pic of my window sticker to get the actual tow and payload for my truck. After several minutes waiting the rep came back and said I had 10,100 lbs max tow for conventional towing, and 9000 lbs max towing for fifth wheel, with a payload of 3270 lbs. I was excited but skeptical, so I got home and contacted Ford directly and they gave me the same numbers. I was getting more excited, but I knew my truck did not have the MAX payload package and the 3270 lb number could not be right. I contacted my Ford dealer again to ask why my door sticker was 2081 lbs and they were telling me 3270 lbs. He told me to use the 2081 lbs on the sticker to be on the safe side. I also found out that they were entering my truck as a 4x4. It is not a 4x4 and the VIN should have told them that. I am now back to 2081 lbs payload capacity, and there are not many small 5W's out there that can be towed with that payload that interest me. They are nice for what they are, but not what I am looking for.

The closest thing I could find that might work, is the KZ231RK, and that would have me to my limits on payload capacity.

IMHO......

Sounds like you have a good understanding of you truck. The 2081 lbs sounds about right. You still have the options of a travel trailer.

Here is a sheet I made to try to some perspective on what is out there that they claim is half ton tow-able, and they are if you have the max tow package with the max payload package on a specifically purchased F150. You will usually not just go buy one of the off the dealer lot. It is kind of funny really most of the half-ton tow-able firth wheels require at least a 3/4 ton truck, or a special order F150. 

Attachments

• 2018 F150 Payload 2000.JPG
    2018 F150 Payload 2000.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 9
Gizmo100 said:
IMHO......

Sounds like you have a good understanding of you truck. The 2081 lbs sounds about right. You still have the options of a travel trailer.

Yeah I could go to a TT, but I currently have a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS class C, and the only reason I was thinking of going to a fifth wheel was for more room in my yard. (I have a small yard) I has a 22ft Hybrid before we got our Class C, and I did not like the bumper pull very much. I have heard that 5W's handle better than bumper pull, but I am assuming they will only handle well if the TV is not overloaded :)

Techtrip said:
Yeah I could go to a TT, but I currently have a 2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS class C, and the only reason I was thinking of going to a fifth wheel was for more room in my yard. (I have a small yard) I has a 22ft Hybrid before we got our Class C, and I did not like the bumper pull very much. I have heard that 5W's handle better than bumper pull, but I am assuming they will only handle well if the TV is not overloaded :)

The chart I made is generic, and based on using the dry weight of the 5th wheel and adding 1000 lbs of cargo to to a fully load weight, to get the pin weight. When we camp we don't take fresh water, and our cargo is probably not even 1000 lbs, but I figured 1000 lbs was a good number to use.

Techtrip said:

And once again you nailed it...To get a TT that would offer you more than the Jayco would likely also need a bigger truck than what you have now. You might be better off staying with a class c until you can get the 5W you want and the truck to handle the weight.

Regarding the 1000 pounds....My wife ran to Walmart to just to get a few things before our last trip. She came home with 200 pounds of groceries, drinks and misc. items. You know because they don't have Walmart's in every other town. We were already loaded with everything we needed but she insisted.

I don't have a 5thW but I pretty sure you need to target the 20% on the pin. And while you may not travel with water you may find yourself having to travel with gray/black tanks that may be full. 

Gizmo100 said:
And once again you nailed it...To get a TT that would offer you more than the Jayco would likely also need a bigger truck than what you have now. You might be better off staying with a class c until you can get the 5W you want and the truck to handle the weight.

Yeah that is where I am at. Don't get me wrong we love our class C, and my truck is my dream truck. I am a curious sort, so I have enjoyed researching this information. The one thing that I wish these RV dealers would do, though is explain up front that most 1/2 ton trucks can not tow these smaller 5th wheel campers labeled as 1/2 ton tow-able. I have seen a few that do emphasize that, but more that don't in there advertising. It is very alluring to think you could tow a 5th wheel with a half ton truck. That is why I started investigating it for myself.

Gizmo100 said:
Regarding the 1000 pounds....My wife ran to Walmart to just to get a few things before our last trip. She came home with 200 pounds of groceries, drinks and misc. items. You know because they don't have Walmart's in every other town. We were already loaded with everything we needed but she insisted.

I don't have a 5thW but I pretty sure you need to target the 20% on the pin. And while you may not travel with water you may find yourself having to travel with gray/black tanks that may be full.

Yeah I don't disagree on the amount of weight you can accumulate. That chart is specific for how we camp. We always stay at full hookup sites and if we don't, we always use the dump stations at the campsites before we leave. We never take fresh water, and we never boon-dock, so my chart would not work for everyone. It would definitely work for us. We only take with us the bare needed essentials, even though we could take more in our Greyhawk.

On the upside....You didn't get pulled into buying something you couldn't safely tow.

A lot of people are not as smart as you.

The lowest form of life may in fact be a RV salesperson followed closely by a politician....

Gizmo100 said:
On the upside....You didn't get pulled into buying something you could safely tow.

A lot of people are not as smart as you.

The lowest form of life may in fact be a RV salesperson followed closely by a politician....

I almost did :) If had listened to Ford without questioning it, that would have been bad, and I have been known to make bad decisions like that before hehe.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'm struggling with the notion of a 5W on a 5.5 ft bed.

That was my other issue had my truck been the right amount of payload. My 5.5 foot bed would have been another obstacle, but there some options out there, but I did not research them fully once I found out my payload was limited. Anderson makes a light weight hitch to help on payload weight, and I have seen some replacement pin boxes like the sidewinder that help give you close to 90 degree turns. Heck the reflection campers already have a rotating pin box on their campers to help with 5.5 boxes, but there campers are a little on the heavy side for a standard F150. I actually liked their half ton 5th wheels the most. The KZ Sportsmen 231rk is a nice one as well, but I would have had to figure out the hitch setup on that one.

Techtrip said:
The closest thing I could find that might work, is the KZ231RK, and that would have me to my limits on payload capacity.

That is the same camper I'm towing with my F150. Love it so far... Perfect small couples camper, even works good with the grandkids and their dad for the weekend.

I went with the Supercab to get a 6.5" bed. The crewcab is nice and all, however I couldn't live with the 5.5" bed. I rarely travel with more than me and the misses. The dogs ride in back, however there is room for passengers in the rear.

Techtrip said:
That was my other issue had my truck been the right amount of payload. My 5.5 foot bed would have been another obstacle, but there some options out there, but I did not research them fully once I found out my payload was limited. Anderson makes a light weight hitch to help on payload weight, and I have seen some replacement pin boxes like the sidewinder that help give you close to 90 degree turns. Heck the reflection campers already have a rotating pin box on their campers to help with 5.5 boxes, but there campers are a little on the heavy side for a standard F150. I actually liked their half ton 5th wheels the most. The KZ Sportsmen 231rk is a nice one as well, but I would have had to figure out the hitch setup on that one.

You will need a slider hitch for the KZ, not just because of your 5.5' box. I have a slider and I have the 6.5' box. I don't need the slider for turns, but do need it to hook up by myself. My slider has a maneuvering position (all the way back-slid), and traveling position (all the way forward, pin over rear axle). I cannot hook up with the hitch in traveling position, the tailgate will hit the basement of the camper. Either someone lifts the gate once the pin clears, or you slide the hitch back to maneuvering position. I have a buddy that has  F250 and he has the same problem with his 5er, different manufacture. His wife lifts the tailgate while he backs up. I believe the issue is due to taller beds in the modern pick-ups.

If you want pictures or measurements of the KZ 231RK and F150 combo, let me know. Heading out this weekend for some warranty work. The inner pieces on three of the skylights cracked over the winter and their is a recall on the awning controller.

Back
Top Bottom