spending a month in Florida, recommendations for sites to visit and camp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

I am pulling a 30' 5 er from Washington DC to Florida. Have a month or so to see what the State has to offer. Would love a list of sites to see and recommended campgrounds to stay. At the end of our stay we will be headed back to Ca central coast ( home )

Thanks
Fred

This is very nice with a golf course and huge lake (if the sink hole hasn't opened this summer). Highly rated and in beautiful horse country near Ocala, FL

http://www.grandlakeresort.com/directions.html

As you're headed west through the panhandle on your way out, they say Topsail Hill Preserve isvery nice.  We're going there the first time right after Christmas.

Thanks, I lived in Lakeland 30 years ago and am taking my wife down to see the area. Plan to camp in the everglade, probably just drive through the keys as I suspect they are packed.
comments and suggestions are appreciated
Fred
[edit]BBcode[/edit]

Hi Fred,

If you go down the east cost a stop at The Great Outdoors in Titusville might be rewarding. We live there along with a couple of other members of the forum. It's a 2500 acre RV community with many ammenities. If you do stop, be sure to let us know. We'll be there by Sunday if all goes well.

Lakeland area has lots of good places to stay.  Up the road a bit on the NW side of Tampa, near Oldmar, We stayed a few times at the Bayou Bay Resort.  Loved the place.  Lots of good food down that way.

When we went to the Keys we stayed at the Gold Coaster RV park in Florida City and drove down to Key West for the day. Nice park, but you will need
reservations.  This is only 23 miles from Key Largo and the glass bottom boats out to the coral reef at John Penneykamp(sp) state park.

Dave
Currently in Longs SC

Rally Park at Lazy Days, pool, jacuzzi, breakfast, lunch, cable etc.  Check out the new stuff, or visit concierge for discount tix for area attractions.  Stop by my office to say Hi.  No pressure from me, just always happy to meet fellow forum-ites. 

I think rates are still under $30 a night.

Fred, Jim Dick has made an excellent suggestion. I would like to add to it in that we have several things to see and do here in Titusville.
The space center, if intrested in that.( tours, movies and museum )
The canaveral sea shore and refuge with drive through nature trails.
Headquarters and museum of the Confederate Air force.
Law enforcement museum
Brevard County historical museum
several other camp grounds including one run by the county
Maybe haven't covered every thing, but his is most of them.

Jerry

Jerry,

Good list of things to do. Also Cocoa Beach is only 20 minutes away and Daytona is an hour. Birding festival in November for those interested. Those nature drives are great with lots of gators and birds. Last winter we did the Peacock Pocket drive and stopped counting gators at 114!!!

Orlando isn't far with lots to see and do without going to Disney World. What I enjoy the most is the lack of grid lock traffic that much of Florida's shoreline gets in the winter. :)

Are you at TGO or in town??

We stayed in the Fiesta Key KOA last week. It was the best KOA I have been in. Right on the water with swimming pool, hot tubs, snack bar, kayak and bicycle rentals, etc. No reservations required. There were many vacant sites when we were there. It has been sold to developers but it appeared they had about 10 work kampers who were painting and maintaining the park. The very large pool was very clean. It will close in March 2007. :(

We patronize the Florida State Park System. They are about 1/2 the price or less than private campgrounds and they are very clean and have a friendly staff, plus they are all over the State of Florida. You can make reservations up to 11 months in advance through Reserve America 800-326-3521 or go to their website www.reserveamerica.com

kentuckyladybug

Back
Top Bottom