Split date RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

Gary RV Wizard posted the attached WRT split dates.

They are NOT supposed to go by the vin number to determine the year of an RV.

My new 2022 RV is registered at the Reno DMV by the 2021 VIN number. Not only that, I was told where I purchased my new RV that this is the reason I cannot register on-line and it must be done at a full service NV DMV office. I was told it has to do with the date mismatch.

I have already called the government Affairs Division and discovered this is to be done by Email.

The email address to the person who handles this is:

[email protected]

I have not yet heard back from them, but today is Sunday and I just sent the Email out on late Friday.

-Don- Reno, NV

Attachments

• Q & A's on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 10
My 2020 Voltage is listed as a 2019 on a rv data base because it was made October the 10th month 2019 but they start making 2020 models in September. Mine has all the "new" features not found on the 2019s.
But for us the registration shows as 2020. Ours was registered in person.
Good luck im sure it will all work out

There are 2 dates on the plate the VIN and date of mfg. Sorry my trailer isnt handy its at the storage lot. For some reason someone looked at the mfg date 10/19 but then at dmv they used the Vin and confirmed its a 20
Hope that helps you?

We owned a 1998 Cruise Master that was built on a 1999 (early release Ford chassis in March 1998) and the title and registration both listed the chassis as 1999 and the coach as 1998. That was a Texas registration. Never had any problems with that in 14 years we owned it.

I think there is an error in my chart in message number three here. The year is the 10th digit, not the 11th.

BTW, my Y2K RV is registered as a Y2K. It is a "Y" year. IIRC, the house was built in 2001 according to a tag on it. So that makes me wonder if it was first sold as a 2001 model. Probably was and that would mean CA was doing the same thing as NV. When I get back to Auburn, I will recheck that tag on the house section. But that probably won't be for another week or so.

My 2022 is registered as a 2021. I do not see that as a problem, but if Reno (or perhaps all of NV) has been doing it wrong, I think they should correct it and if that is the real reason why my RV could not be registered on-line as I was told at RV Country, that will help make it a bit easier for others who need to register a new RV.

-Don- Reno, NV

My 2022 is registered as a 2021. I do not see that as a problem, but if Reno (or perhaps all of NV) has been doing it wrong, I think they should correct it

It's a potential problem in establishing the value of your RV at resale, but if that is far enough in the future the year makes little difference. But should it get totaled in an accident tomorrow, you want the title info to be accurate! Insurers rely heavily on model year when establishing value.

Incorrect titles on "split date" vehicles is a common issue and not unique to Nevada. It's basically a clerical problem at most state DMV offices, where lack of training in the less-common aspects of titles results in improper handling. Working in a DMV office does not automatically make a clerk a guru of all possible title scenarios.

Since the original MCO document is no longer available(the DMV probably has it archived somewhere inaccessible), you will probably have to get a document from the RV manufacturer certifying the model year that was shown on that original MCO.

Last edited:
It's a potential problem in establishing the value of your RV at resale,
I am never concerned with resale value motor vehicles. I keep them all until they are ready to be junked. I have always been that way and that is why I still own my 1971 BMW motorcycle, purchased new in May 1971. They last forever and a day. It's still easy to find parts for and such.

It's also why I still have my old Y2K RV. Not ready to junk it, in fact, I have poured several thousand bucks into it over the last few years, not worth half what I put into it. At least not to others. But I still like it and use it.

What does "MCO" stand for?

-Don- Reno, NV

Good luck fighting windmills.

What GaryRV_Wizard said:
Working in a DMV office does not automatically make a clerk a guru of all possible title scenarios.

One of my most memorable visits to the DMV was the clerk typing my name. R...O....B...E and so on. Glad I only have 22 letters in my full name. Then she got to the address, I should have brought a snack. She did have all her given fingers but only learned how to type with one. She did know where the backspace key was without looking.

I just now received this email (one of the files is too large to attach here, other four are attached).

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Attached are several documents RVIA has used over the years to convince state DMVs to use the final stage manufacturer's model year designation - even though the chassis VIN is of a previous year. This should help you to go to a DMV office and get a corrected or amended title and registration.

The documents include:

1. A series of correspondence between Arent Fox (RVIA's lawyers) and the Federal Trade Commission regarding a vehicle's model year designation;

2. A Federal Register entry regarding multistage vehicle VIN assignments;

3. A second Federal Register entry regarding a Federal Trade Commission regulation;

4. A Federal Register entry that defines "model year" so as to allow vehicles to be assigned a model year irrespective of the calendar year in which the vehicle was produced; and

5. The Policy Positions on multi-stage vehicles developed by the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators.

Colleen Muldoon
Executive Assistant, Government Affairs and Legal
1899 Preston White Drive

Reston, VA 20191
571 665 5877

Attachments

• 8-15-95_Repealed_Regulation.pdf
    330.2 KB · Views: 3
  • MultiStageBuilds-CFR565_10-01-02Edition.pdf
    394.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PolicyPositions_AAMVA-2003.pdf
    566.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Q & A's on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 3
From what I get from message 11, they expect me to go down to the Reno DMV and try to convince them. IOW, Gov Affairs does nothing other than overload me with BS.

Of course, I will not bother. I doubt if anybody would. And if if I did convince them, it will probably only change mine and the problem would stay statewide.

So I do not expect this issue to ever get fixed any time soon. I am going to try to forget about it all.

-Don- Reno, NV

The discussion, I assume, centers about MOTORIZED vehicles that are incomplete chassis with a coach added to them (or cargo box or anything else added to a cab and chassis). The year model is what the coach manufacturer says it is when they complete it.

Trailers don't matter, they have one build date and one VIN. Motorhomes will have two VINs, one for the incomplete chassis, and one for the completed vehicle.

On my motor home I was aware of the difference but the county tax commissioners office (who handles taxes and tags in Georgia) put the VIN of the chassis in (2006) and the computer didn't balk at it (which it is supposed to) so I let them charge me the tax only on the chassis. Winnebago says its a 2007, the buyer I sold it to didn't seem to care.

Charles

What does "MCO" stand for?
Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, the legal document that must be provided to the DMV for any & every new vehicle title. It comes from the vehicle manufacturer and contains the vehicle model year among other information. It is the legally governing document for the info on the title.

MCO is referenced in that "split year" treatise you included to start ths thread.

I purchased it used in 2012, not sure is org. title was CA or NV, it had a NV title when I purchased it.

Back
Top Bottom