Spoons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no problem doing this anyway... I have a tremor in my dominate hand (Right), and often prefer a spoon over a fork to keep things contained...
Butch
Me too. I have essential tremors in my arms and neck. Sometimes trying to eat peas, corn, etc. with a fork is a impossible. OTOH if there were no spoons I'd weigh much less today, ever try to eat ice cream with a fork.:)
ButchW, I don't know your age, but there is a medical implant device Dr.s put in the brain to eliminate tremors. It's been used for about 20 years now with excellent results.

Come to think of it, we went out to eat the other night and they only gave us a fork and knife wrapped in a napkin. Never thought twice about it until this post. I don’t care one way or the other. I never have the need for a spoon unless the place we go to is a buffet and they have ice cream. They have clean spoons right next to the ice cream machine, so I would think all restaurants would still have an assortment of spoons so just ask if you need one. No big deal.

Last edited:
Me too. I have essential tremors in my arms and neck. Sometimes trying to eat peas, corn, etc. with a fork is a impossible. OTOH if there were no spoons I'd weigh much less today, ever try to eat ice cream with a fork.:)
ButchW, I don't know your age, but there is a medical implant device Dr.s put in the brain to eliminate tremors. It's been used for about 20 years now with excellent results.
Thanks for the info… I’ve heard of those implants, but I only see this as an inconvenience, not a real problem.. And I’ll be 76 in a couple of weeks…l do ask for a spoon on occasion, but usually try to order a sandwich, burger or something I can get a grip on when eating out, if possible…
Butch

Thanks for the info… I’ve heard of those implants, but I only see this as an inconvenience, not a real problem.. And I’ll be 76 in a couple of weeks…l do ask for a spoon on occasion, but usually try to order a sandwich, burger or something I can get a grip on when eating out, if possible…
Butch
I'm now where I have to use both hands to drink from a glass/bottle, cup sometimes. Signing checks is history, DW signs my name now. Doc said at 81, I might not survive another surgery, so it is what it is for me. She does have me on RISP 30C, a homeopathic drug from England. one pill does reduce tremors, if I take 2 pills it makes me sleepy, but does almost stop my tremors.

I'm now where I have to use both hands to drink from a glass/bottle, cup sometimes. Signing checks is history, DW signs my name now. Doc said at 81, I might not survive another surgery, so it is what it is for me. She does have me on RISP 30C, a homeopathic drug from England. one pill does reduce tremors, if I take 2 pills it makes me sleepy, but does almost stop my tremors.
Sorry it’s gotten so bad for you… I can still sign things because my signature is bad anyway, but I don’t do any hand writing.. Wife does that for me.. Good thing, was my Neurologist told me a glass or two of wine would help out… Sooo…
Butch

We went to a benefit dinner last, a four course cocktail pairing. There were no spoons at the table but spoons were offered for the soup course.
If someone didn't accept the offer of a spoon, how did they drink the soup - drink from the bowl?

Sorry it’s gotten so bad for you… I can still sign things because my signature is bad anyway, but I don’t do any hand writing.. Wife does that for me.. Good thing, was my Neurologist told me a glass or two of wine would help out… Sooo…
Butch
Yea, I too was told 2 glasses of wine, but my heart Dr. squashed that; worst part DW agreed with him. :(

I guess I must have been living in the dark lately as I knew nothing about this whole spoons in restaurants kerfuffle!

Trying to think back at the last few times we've eaten in a restaurant, I seem to remember there were spoons, but can't say for sure.

So this very afternoon we stopped at an Outback Steakhouse. The waiter brought our dinner, but no utensils of any kind. WHOA! Has it come to this?? No utensils at all?!

We asked and he apologized profusely and returned shortly with a cloth napkin wrapped around our utensils. Couldn't see what the napkin held so I picked it up, and slowly, very slowly, began to unwrap it.

To my amazement-- no spoon! But, but... there were TWO FORKS and a serrated knife!

What manner of madness was this?! TWO FORKS?! Worst, they were exactly the same size thereby not offering any kind of clue as to expected use.

I'm still trying to recover from the shock and just can't keep from thinking about what kind of conspiracy might be at work here... :oops: :unsure:

My wife and I have eaten in 5 different restaurants here in upstate NY in the past month or so. Every one of them included spoons with the place settings. Soup came with a separate larger spoon. I do recall a few restaurants in Florida the previous winter that didn't include spoons, but they did include one when we ordered coffee.

My wife and I go to this one restaurant regularly, and got to know most of the wait staff.. For some reason this one waiter brings us two forks and one knife to split between us… I have never asked, but my wife and kinda make a joke about it… Probably because my wife always cuts her hamburger in 1/2, and I don’t, but the waiter always has hers cut in half before he delivers it, without her asking.. So I still don’t know why the single knife…
Butch

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom