Sputtering with a full tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morris

Started about a week ago when I switched over tanks. Was switching from AUX to MAIN when the AUX tank ran dry and started to drive down the road. About 5 miles down the road I had to throttle up to get over the a hill and latter on it started to sputter like it was running out of gas. I know the tank had fuel in it and thought that the tank may not be pumping but it still has the problem even after filling and switching to AUX tank hasn't helped. Not sure if it is the pump or the filter or maybe even the spark plugs. Any help would be appreciated. morris

I have heard that running a fuel tank dry before switching over was a bad thing to do. Bad for the injectors, and you can suck up water and crud from the bottom of the tank. I don't know if it is a urban myth or not but I always switch over at about 1/4 tank.

When that happened to me on my regular vehicle, i took it to a shop and they replace 2 fuel filters....I was surprised that i had 2 filters. Old school mechanic (fuel tank filter AND one by the motor).  Plus the guy add a fuel additive.  He also mentioned running low on fuel, fuel tank and crud and sometimes moisture.

Told me to run high octane a couple tank fulls after the repair. 

Replaced the fuel filters last week. No problems as of yet. Plan on dropping the tanks and doing a full flush on them within the next month or so. That way I don't have this problem again.

I had a similar situation occur on my PSD.  It wound up being the switch for the tanks that needed to be replaced.  It wasnt switching over to the other tank.  Most of the time if your having fuel problems start with the filter.  Especially in the winter.

live in san diego so no winter here, well at least not in the usual way. gets about 10 to 15 degrees colder but not much else. i prefer my hometown in idaho but won't be getting back there for a few years yet. will be moving to the tucson area here in a month or two so that will be a little better, i miss the rain.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom