State and national park list of maximum RV length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HappyWanderer said:
Right now we're in a Rhode Island state park on a site listed as 25 foot maximum. Somehow our motorhome shrinks to 25 feet when we cross the state line, then magically expands again on the ride home.  :)

Weird. I thought ours was the only one that did that  ;)

At 38', generally if I see a restriction noted in the 20s I figure we wouldn't fit. But anywhere in 30s and we "shrink to fit"  ;D  As Gary stated, a bit snug sometimes but has always worked. I've seen many public campgrounds that show a 35' limit online but the limit is clearly outdated and more a function of not updating the reservation web site.

To a large degree, this is an area-specific issue. Rarely do I hear people east of the mountains out here in the west say they have trouble getting their big rig to a campground, or finding a suitable campsite - even if it's listed as being too short. "Allowable length" and what will actually fit are often two different things, as others have said, and sometimes you just have to go take a look at the place to determine if your rig will fit.

The OP never said what kind of RV they had, how long it was or which State Parks they were most interested in (presumably that means they're interested in all of them) but if they're considering Southern California State Parks, size is a real consideration. We're not even allowed to drive on some of the State Routes that lead to many State Parks, and there aren't any alternative routes. The switchback mountain roads are simply too sharp for our coach.

When we had a 32 foot coach, we camped in several different State Parks, all over the Cleveland National Forrest. Now, however, we fit into virtually none of those campgrounds. That's not because a website somewhere says we can't fit, it's because the roads in the campgrounds have turns that are too sharp for our coach, with rocky outcroppings and trees that we can't get around, and we're physically too long for the campsites anyway. The longest are 36 feet, but there are only a few of those. We were able to get our 32 footer into 30 foot sites, but there's no way our 43 foot coach would fit, if we could even get to them.

There are a few State Parks on the beach we can get into, but just as many we can't get into, for the same reasons. There are nine San Diego County parks, and we've camped in seven of them in our 32 foot coach. Now we can fit in only two of them, and in one of those, there are only two sites that we can physically fit into.

Like I said, this may not be as big of a problem in other parts of the country, but it's a real issue out here.

Kev

Kevin's comments are interesting, as I've considered what coach I'd get next (with the lottery winnings). I'd love to have the smoother ride (and space) offered by the longer coaches but as I think of the places I tend to like, many times I'm pushing the limit at 38' (and I have the foliage "pin striping" to prove it  ::) .) Examples include both Plaskett Creek and Jalama Beach. In the case of Plaskett, the park sits on a length restricted section of Highway 1 (plus we barely fit in the park even though many of the sites list length limits at 40'+.). While Jalama isn't on a length restricted road, it would be impossible to get a 43-45 footer into the spaces. As it was, when we showed up (with our reservation for an upper level spot snagged at midnight 6 months prior), the ranger commented, "this should be interesting".

I think each type of camper has their own type of desired campsite and setting. For us that means nothing over 40'. For others that means the comfort and space of something bigger, or something much smaller that allows access to those true out of the way places. For each I think you learn a sense of where you'll fit and where you won't, in many cases using any printed limitations more as a reference.

Joezeppy said:
Scott, since money will be no object, just get one of each!  8)

LOL ?

Excellent point. Anyone have the number for Prevost handy?  ;)

Scott, funny you'd mention Jalama Beach. We were just looking at that place online. We have some friends who go there in their 40 foot coach, and they say they disconnect their toad so she can drive ahead of him with a radio, relaying any oncoming traffic to him in the RV, because the miles-long access road is so narrow and twisty. We were thinking of giving that a try, but now I hear you saying that you don't think a 43 foot coach would fit in any of the sites. Is that correct?

Kev

No, I didn't mention what we have because we are still determining that depending on what I found out about getting into state and national parks.  I would prefer a 40+ft rig but not if that means we can't enjoy public parks.  We are not looking at just one area of the country, but all.  We'll, except for North Dakota. 

Kevin Means said:
Scott, funny you'd mention Jalama Beach. We were just looking at that place online. We have some friends who go there in their 40 foot coach, and they say they disconnect their toad so she can drive ahead of him with a radio, relaying any oncoming traffic to him in the RV, because the miles-long access road is so narrow and twisty. We were thinking of giving that a try, but now I hear you saying that you don't think a 43 foot coach would fit in any of the sites. Is that correct?

Kevin,

We stayed on the upper level (site 117) which provides the best views but is the farthermost from the beach. I chose 117 because I knew we would hang out into the road and this way we wouldn't be blocking anyone. There are two turns (blue arrows) climbing to the top level which were full lock steering for me to negotiate. While it may be theoretically possible to get your rig to the top you wouldn't be able to maneuver it in to the site, it took a lot of back and forth for me to get in to 117. No other site could be used as you would essentially close the road to others. In the picture we are pulled forward as far as we can go and the dirt where the Cherokee is sitting actually rises somewhat which caused dragging of the mud guard.

I did see a couple of large rigs down around sites 53-56ish I think. Since you'd pull straight in there wouldn't be too much maneuvering. The non-hookup sites (1-51) allow RVs and the sites may be long enough, but making the turn might be challenging. As you can see from the arial it appears there is about a 15' wide road (my guess based on the sites being about 50' long). Whether you could make the swing is the issue. And I'm sorry but we never walked over towards the partial hookup sites (80-97) so don't really remember the situation with them.

Regarding the road from Lompoc, unless you're timid about narrow roads you'll have no trouble. Yes it's narrow in spots, with some tight turns, but you'll be fine. I pulled our toad (Cherokee) with no issues, and I'd still tow the current toad (Ram 1500). I actually had fun driving it, but others may not like it. Depends on which camp you're in I guess. With 5' more rig you may want to consider dropping the toad; I didn't want to because I didn't want my SO to miss the views out the ?big window? - very nice along the way (typically CA rolling hills and oaks) then the ocean dramatically comes in to view.

I realize this isn't a concrete answer but I hope this helps a little. My guess is there are some sites you could squeeze into, but others not. Did your friends tell you which site they were in?

No cell service, doubt a booster would help. Wifi was spotty but usable, a booster here might actually help as connecting seemed to be the issue. Beautiful beaches, but there are tar balls and the oil company responsible has apparently ceased cleanup. Walk-able but you have to watch your step a little.

BTW, gotta get a Jalama Burger - when's the last time you ate one that had a trademark hanging on the wall?  ;D

(I added three sunset pictures to "prime the pump"  ;) )

Attachments

• Jalama arial.jpg
    Jalama arial.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Jalama map.jpg
    Jalama map.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Jalama1a.jpg
    Jalama1a.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Jalama2a.jpg
    Jalama2a.jpg