State-by-State Gun Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skookum we have reasonable gun control, what we don't have is reasonable people. If all firearms were banned/outlawed, someone with killing one their mind will obtain the next best weapon, be it a knife, sword, club, or rock. Just like the man in China where all private ownership of guns are illegal. He got a knife and entered that school, killing or maiming 30 children.
We learned of background check failures today, a known terrorist was let loose by CBP agents after requests to other federal agencies went unanswered.
This youtube clip from the UK shows exactly where all this is heading, it has a celebrity talking in an interview about the need to regulate the sale of kitchen knives. I am not making this up, it is really what they are talking about, due to high levels of knife violence in the UK

There's that slippery slope again, anyone who opposes unabridged rights is akin to Stalin or Hitler and wants to throw out the whole constitution.
My question did not say or imply such. How would I know if I don't ask about where you draw the line? It's difficult for me to tell when you want at least part of it thrown out, unlike me, who is happy with the rules we set for our government as they are.

-Don- Reno, NV

skookum we have reasonable gun control, what we don't have is reasonable people. If all firearms were banned/outlawed, someone with killing one their mind will obtain the next best weapon, be it a knife, sword, club, or rock. Just like the man in China where all private ownership of guns are illegal. He got a knife and entered that school, killing or maiming 30 children.
We learned of background check failures today, a known terrorist was let loose by CBP agents after requests to other federal agencies went unanswered.

Absolutely, reasonable gun control exists. And there’s still more ground to cover.

Nobody in this thread I’m aware of has proposed banning all guns or eliminating 2A. To your point about people using knives instead, that was discussed many replies ago. A knife is not very effective at killing a room full of people or a crowd, it just isn’t. An AR-15 is.

O

Ok, can we parse these words, it is fairly short, so should be easy:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The first part called the preamble "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," first off this part has no legal meaning attached to it, this is just to support their reasoning for the right, but lets break it down anyway. A well regulated Militia, at the time it was written regulated meant functioning, not regulation in the modern sense of the word, and Militia meant fighting age men, which is probably a bit sexist, so if you follow the living document view, should probably be read as adult citizens. So therefore the preamble translated into modern English should read something like:

A functional pool of adults who know how to shoot is necessary to maintain a free country, therefore:

Then the second part, which is the actual right:
The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Some anti gunners are now arguing that "the people" mean the government, which I think we can agree is grasping at straws, since the term the people is used elsewhere in the constitution, and is generally accepted to mean the citizenry.

That leaves to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The courts have generally agreed that keep and bear implies right to purchase, possess, and that arms are not just guns, but include all the parts of a gun that make it work including ammunition, as well as lots of things that are not guns, for example knives.

This only leaves, shall not be infringed, do we really need to argue over what is and is not infringed?

SCOTUS disagrees as we do not have truly unabridged 2A rights. Gun safety laws have been determined to be constitutional.

I’m a little over junky YouTube videos from content creators at this point.

Absolutely, reasonable gun control exists.
We agree!!!!

So remove the countless CA and many other state gun control laws that are FAR from reasonable.

Like when I tried to buy a FN57 handgun in CA. I wanted that one to be the other color than the one I already owned. But FN never summited the one with the brown handgrip, only the black handgrip for CA's drop test. Yeah, handgrip color makes a big difference in safety, right?

IYO, is that reasonable?

Don't get me started on other CA gun laws. It will never end.

-Don- Reno, NV

We agree!!!!

So remove the countless CA and many other state gun control laws that are FAR from reasonable.

Like when I tried to buy a FN57 handgun in CA. I wanted that one to be the other color than the one I already owned. But FN never summited the one with the brown handgrip, only the black handgrip for CA's drop test. Yeah, handgrip color makes a big difference in safety, right?

IYO, is that reasonable?

Don't get me started on other CA gun laws. It will never end.

-Don- Reno, NV

One wonders why you would purchase your guns in CA when you can also purchase in NV.

The grip color is an unreasonable disqualification by itself. However, the fact that it wasn’t certified as part of the drop test is reasonable. If the manufacturer is going to change the spec of the gun, then it needs to be certified, yes? A color change could also mean a different manufacturer for the grip material or type and hardness of plastic used which could potentially cause a different outcome, all things which are unknown to the certification program and cert status of the gun unless proven and documented per the agreed process for certification.

Rules are rules.

Then answer my question, on which law where all further gun control laws stop.

-Don- Reno, NV

Why? Any gun control law means “they” are coming for your guns and the country will be turned into China. You’ve indicated there is no other answer, so answer your own dang question. ;)

At what point do you decide it’s “tyranny” and do something with your guns other than collect them?

One wonders why you would purchase your guns in CA when you can also purchase in NV.
Because I do my best to follow gun laws. If I buy it in NV it must stay in NV when I am not here. If I buy in CA it must stay in CA when I am not there.

I am one of the very few who may legally buy guns in two different states.

Or else I am a criminal importing guns across state lines unless they are with me. I do NOT want to travel back and forth with a gun.

And that is FEDERAL law. IOW, I cannot legally leave a gun in purchased in NV at my CA home (and vice versa) unless I am there with it.

Of course, unlikely to get caught even if I broke this law. But I follow them anyway.

Okay to travel across state lines with guns, even illegal guns in the state you're travelling through (but I wouldn't). Cops don't always know federal law as well as the gun owners. Just like legal gun owners often can shoot better than the cops. Who do you think practices more, a gun nut or a cop?

I used to work with cops in SF. Most hated to go to the gun range to qualify which was a requirement for them. Every six months, IIRC.

-Don- Reno, NV

Any gun control law means “they” are coming for your guns and the country will be turned into China.
I do see that coming, but at least not in my lifetime. And yeah, look at gun control history. How come if didn't stop with the Brady Act? Or the countless major gun control laws before then?

It stops when every gun is illegal and only then. After that, knives can be next.

Criminals will then be very safe from the so-called gun violence of the innocent.

-Don- Reno, NV

Just like legal gun owners often can shoot better than the cops. Who do you think practices more, a gun nut or a cop?

The gun nut practices more. But the officer has better experience in confrontation and de-escalation.

Don’t want to answer the question about tyranny, hmm? What constitutes the exact, defined action that constitutes “tyranny” which should call all the gravy seals to arms and action to remove the tyrannical government?

Because of the fact I am pro-2A, many people have said I should not be around guns. So where will this line be drawn?

And do you want the entire US Constitution thrown out, or only parts of it?

How much more of our freedoms should we give up?

Think of the leaders in this world who strongly supported gun control laws of every type possible. Stalin, Hitler, Po Pot, etc.

Now think of those who did NOT support gun control. Washington, Jefferson, or better yet, see here.

Which way do you wish our government to go?

-Don- Reno, NV
They have no idea that when/if they get their way, what will actually happen to THEM as well when the tyranny ramps up. History has been no help to teach them what comes next every single time. They will not learn the easy way, but I do think they will be screaming the loudest when they realize they are the frog in the now very warm pot of water.

Ok, I will give the tyranny definition a shot, tyranny started the moment regular citizens were not allowed to own guns that were on par with what the police and military have. How far we have slid down the slope of tyranny is up for debate. Just look at what Biden has to say on the matter of gun control, where he blatantly claims the very guns he wants to confiscate are no longer good enough to be used to resist the US military.

And never assume this cannot happen in our lifetime. I think the landscape will be vastly different much sooner than you think.

And never assume this cannot happen in our lifetime. I think the landscape will be vastly different much sooner than you think.
It's okay with me if an overwhelming majority gets what they think they want. When they have the supermajority, they can even correctly change the US Constitution.

FWIW, I have been to the China mainland several times. I believe I can be just as happy there as I am here. Of course, I will not have the same rights.

But that doesn't mean I want to see the USA become like China. Or even see NV become like CA.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
When rational argument runs out, enter the vague boogeymen. “They” and “it”, all on an uncertain but definitely nearer timeline.

But what does that look like?

and go straight to banning things in a way that is clearly against any sane reading of the 2A.
But the most ridiculous one I have seen is not gun related. It's how they took the words out of the "full faith and credit" of the US Constitution and put the word "no" in front of it for the DOMA Section Two (and added a few more words):

"Section 2. Powers reserved to the states.

No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship."

Full faith and credit, US Constitution:

Article IV, Section 1:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. "

Section Two of the DOMA did not go to the SCOTUS. Only Section 3 did. I really wanted section two to go there instead, just to see who would say "The US Constitution is unconstitutional".

FWIW, I cannot say that was done with the CCW. My CCW says right on it:
"Pursuant to NRS 202-350, the permittee is authorized to carry a concealed handgun in the State of NV".

Even CA does go by it! CA has no issue with me carrying concealed within Nevada. ;)

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom