State-by-State Gun Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So by your train of thought there shouldn’t be any gun laws at all. Folks can purchase whatever the gun manufacturers can think up.
Wrong. I support every gun law that goes after the criminals without disarming the good guys.

Example:

I strongly supported a pending gun law that if a gun, of any value is stolen, it becomes a felony. That was for CA a few years ago. It got vetoed unlike all the other gun laws at the same time that only went after the good guys who owned guns. Those all got passed, as usual.

Good guys do not steal guns, do they?

-Don- Reno, NV

For the country on the opposite side of our border, with their extremely strict gun control laws.

Even the very anti-gun news media is starting to see the truth about gun control laws.

Make guns disappear and I will support it. All weapons. Booze, drugs and the countless other things that will make this a much better world by not having. Even if it includes all of my guns.

Too bad laws cannot do such, and often make our problems worse--but not all laws are bad, so don't go there. I support perhaps all laws that do something useful. Most so-called gun control laws are not such.

-Don- Reno, NV

That's the most disappointing part. I don't think I learned anything new. :( But such is usually the case when talking with people with such extreme viewpoints. There's no reasoning, and a lot of flat out lies.
Did you not learn anything new or did you learn things you did not want to learn?

Can you elaborate on what lies were told?

Did you not learn anything new or did you learn things you did not want to learn?

Can you elaborate on what lies were told?

No, I'm done debating, including with you. Not worth my time/effort.

Colorado Legislators have been considering changes to concealed carry laws, that would require applicants of new permits, or renewals to demonstrate some proficiency in handling and shooting a firearm.

I believe that to be a step in the right direction.

Colorado Legislators have been considering changes to concealed carry laws, that would require applicants of new permits, or renewals to demonstrate some proficiency in handling and shooting a firearm.

I am all for people that are going to carry firearms to be properly trained but the last time I checked the 2A does not apply only to people that are good shots. I am pretty sure there are over half the states that have adopted constitutional carry and quite a few in recent years and have we had a lot more firearm accidents because of it?

The problem with this is the way many of these sorts of laws are implemented, at one end they are put in place as a annoyance to concealed carry holders, ie required to take an 8 hour class every year or two then show you can hit the broadside of a barn when shooting in a low stress environment. The other end of the spectrum is putting the requirements so stringent that military special forces personnel that fire thousands of practice rounds per year have a hard time passing. Neither of which does much good to meet their purported goals.

Also while it may sound good at first glance, it is helpful to look at some statistics from actual shootings. Lets take law enforcement shootings as an case study, as I think most people for such requirements consider training to law enforcement standards to be their gold standard for concealed permit holders.

See link to officer involved shooting incidents New study on shooting accuracy. How does your agency stack up? - Daigle Law Group where you will see in real world shootings on average trained police officers only hit their target 1/3 of the time, and other recent studies show police officers missing their target between 50% and 82% of the time in real world shootings. This makes one ask, is requiring proficient handling of a firearm by CCW carriers who are much less likely than police officers to get involved in a shooting accomplishing anything measurable to increase the safety of bystanders.

That's the way they do it here in NV. A full day class (mine was ten hours). The last half of that at the firing range.

I must renew every five years, the 4 or so hours at the firing range.

I don't have any issue with such training, but if it is constitutional or not to be required for a "right" is another issue.

I am happy with whatever the SCOTUS decides on that.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
That's the way they do it here in NV. A full day class (mine was ten hours). The last half of that at the firing range.

I don't have any issue with such training, but if it is constitutional or not to be required for a "right" is another issue.

-Don- Reno, NV
And I believe this is a good thing. I, as a Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer - QRLEO by LEOSA standards - have to qual annually with a local law enforcement agency. I have always believed that if I have to do it annually everyone who wishes to carry should have to do it at least every few years. And I developed muscle memory that I will never lose after almost 30 years of range time multiple times a year.

-Don- Reno, NV
It is unconstitutional. As much as I believe that people should be trained on safe gun handling and have range training requiring it can open up a can of worms similar to other gun laws.

For a "toad"? I doubt if they mention what type of engine oil to use.

-Don- Reno, NV
Most manufacturers of passenger vehicle include manuals that will have some recommendations for the type of oil to be used in said vehicles.
And, oddly enough, most Toads are some sort of "Passenger Vehicle".

Most manufacturers of passenger vehicle include manuals that will have some recommendations for the type of oil to be used in said vehicles.
And, oddly enough, most Toads are some sort of "Passenger Vehicle".
Doesn't "toad" refer to what is being towed? IOW, usually no engine?

-Don- Reno, NV

And I believe this is a good thing. I, as a Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer - QRLEO by LEOSA standards - have to qual annually with a local law enforcement agency. I have always believed that if I have to do it annually everyone who wishes to carry should have to do it at least every few years. And I developed muscle memory that I will never lose after almost 30 years of range time multiple times a year.
Other than the constitutional question, I personally don't mind the idea of reasonable proficiency requirements, google says the LEOSA standards are 17 of 24 shots in the 7 right (outer largest ring) of a standard B27 silhouette target, google does not say the range, here the CCW permit requires I think 70% hit at 25 feet into the sihouette of a B27 or did when I took the class a number of years ago. I just looked at the current requirements (Louisiana passed a constitutional carry bill that goes into effect July 4th so somewhat moot), it looks like they have added more hoops since I did the class circa 15 years ago, some new hoops, fingerprints, but must be done by state police (when I did my class they accepted fingerprints done at local police or sheriffs offices) are anyone that is divorced must submit divorce paperwork, court orders, etc. which I find insane for a CCW, I am divorced, why should it matter that was a quarter of a century ago, or well be in a couple of months.

The problem I have is all the hoop, sit through an 8 hour class before you can go do the shooting qualification test, submit fingerprints, which must be taken by appointment at only limited locations, submit divorce paperwork, court orders, etc. They now have even divided up the qualification list to be different for people that have lived in the state for less than 15 years vs those that have been here for over 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom