Steps Deploying While Driving!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    I have the same type on my 2006 Country Coach. The top and bottom button on mine are for the remote door lock and the two center ones are the step control, On the door side you should find that the center contacts have a jumper between them so if you close the door you complete the circuit and with the door open the circuit is open.

You can adjust the tension of the contacts by removing from the door frame and turning the nut on the back.

We had similar contacts on the hinged lid of a field strength meter - the preferred method of cleaning was to burnish them with a pink pencil eraser.

Anything else would wear through the brass plating after repeated use.  I wouldn't use a ScotchBrite pad to burnish those contacts - they do a really good job of cleaning up badly corroded brass transmission lines including removing material from surface irregularities on a saw cut edge.

Jim, we've got a remote door lock too and I was wondering if a couple of those pins were associated with that circuit. I'll check. Thanks  Lou, the eraser does make more sense.

Kev

We have a 2011 Damon Outlaw toyhauler.  When we travel in WET weather, the rear steps will open, close, open, stay open, close again, etc.  I checked the ground wire and it appears to be well connected.  The steps are Damon Coach Steps.  Steps work just fine when parked in wet or dry  weather and work just fine when driving in dry weather.  We usually never use those rear steps but it can be dangerous when they open when driving!

Does anyone please offer some suggestions?

Tom

Not familiar with that type, but obviously you have a wire or switch shorting out in the rain. Does the door have a switch that causes the step to open/close when the door opens? That would be the first place to look.

Step being deployed is the LEAST of my concerns, two years ago ,in Quartzsite, I was north bound one mile south of the overpass and experienced not one but TWO! motorhomes with a SLIDE extended out into my lane,,, that will get your attention.>>>Dan

Kwikee uses two different controllers.

ON the older one (As I Recall) When the door opens the swich CLOSES causing the steps to extend

Water..Epically non-pure water,, if it gets into the step swtch or the cable connecitons, can "Fake" a switch closure.

Water proof all connection (on a very dry day)

Steps extending at other times (NOT rain related) (And see note below)

The switch is a magnetic reed switch..Normally the magnet is in the bottom, Latch side,, Of the inner door  Bending the door gently to insure this corner seats firmly may help.

NOTE: Some companies use a pin-switch,,,Like an automotive  door dome light switch.... Not all use magnetic reed switches.

there is a switch on the inside that turns off the steps from extending or retracting when the door opens in my motorhome.

I thought everyone has them.

Yes Tony, we do... just because it is there does not mean it works.  and what's more it works differently depending on the age of your coach.  Mine, for example,, WILL NOT prevent extension (At least not the factory switch.. The one I added will) it only prevents retraction.

This was the very first problem I had with my now ancient Bounder. When it was brand new the steps would deploy while driving. This model has a magnetic switch at the bottom side of the door frame. This switch has a flange for two rivets. During manufacture a hole was drilled to acommodate the body of the switch. The body with the attached pigtail wires was inserted in the door frame and the flange holes were used as a guide to drill the rivet holes in the door frame. They used a long drill bit for drilling these holes and when the drill broke through the metal door frame it then plunged full depth right up to the chuck. The bit grabbed the pigtails and the wires wrapped around the spinning drill and stripped some of the insulation off the wires. All unseen by the installer because the wires are hidden by the door frame.
When driving the bare areas of the pig tail wires would momentarily touch with the vibrations and the steps would deploy.
When home I tried to diagnose the problem which included checking all the circuits with a volt/ohm meter. Since the problem was intermittent and the pigtails were no longer touching each other everything checked okay. Knowing the operation of the steps was not okay, my attention turned to the door jam switch. I drilled out the rivets, disconnected the pigtails from underneath the coach and removed the switch. The insulation that was stripped off the wires during installation at the factory was then seen. I repaired the pigtails with electrical tape, reinstalled the switch and the problem was solved.
I have had no further problems with the steps in the following 22 years. I would bet that this very problem occurred on many mhs.
Don't forget to lubricate the hinge points of the steps periodically.

Kevin

TonyDtorch said:
those look like the same spring loaded electrical contacts that are widely used in the custom car world as a cleaner way of running speaker and light wires into and out of doors.

try a cleaning them with contact cleaner and putting a little dielectric grease on them.

Yep Tony is right, I have them on my 51 Chevy PU. I clean the with a scotchbrite pad....very lightly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom