Still shopping and feeling discouraged.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry you received that kind of treatment. If it is of value here is how I have bought 20+tractors, 18 semi-trucks, 14 pickup trucks, 9 autos, and other misc ranch-farm equipment over the past 50 years.

I do my homework to decide what make, model and details I need on the item to buy. Then I determine what I can afford to pay, based on the listed price, my funds, and what it is worth to me.

I go the Local Dealer, get the dealer's best price, for my specifications, and compare it with my own previous calculations. I then make my offer in cash, take it our leave it. If the dealer wants to negotiate above my offer, I tell the salesman that my offer is final and leave my phone number, and walk away. I inform the salesman that if the dealer decides to accept my offer then to phone me because I am going to different dealers with the same offer and I will buy where I can get the deal.

Sometimes I buy from a second or third dealer where I make my offer. But, usually when the salesman sees that I am serious my offer is accepted at the first dealer. But, I never pay more than my offer no matter what. I will walk away and not buy until I find a dealer to accept my offer for my specifications. Over the years the dealers that I deal with have gotten to know me and they know that I am serious and I will only buy when I decide, not when they decide. I offer a fair price only a price that fits what it is worth to me.

If any salesman ever told me that I would not get service if I did not buy from him, I would inform him that the deal is off and that I intend to call the manufacturer and report his position. And, I would ask the manufacturer to give me the name and address of another dealer where I can buy the item, explaining why I am calling the manufacturer. I would go the the dealer recommended by the manufacturer.

Over the years I have spent in the Millions of Dollars for equipment. The dealers and I get along very well and I get good service with no hassel using this method.

JudyJB said:
Years ago, my mother-in-law lived in a moderately sized town where all the car dealers tried that trick of "if you don't buy from me I won't service it."

That is downright unethical, and I would be very hesitant to buy from anyone who threatened me, which is exactly what that dealer is doing. 

JudyJB

My step sister has a technique that works well on such dealers.  She simply tells them that she doesn't know much about such things but that her husband is an attorney and she will let him handle it.  Not only is such treatment unethical but it might even be illegal in some jurisdictions.  If it is where she is, she really gets their attention.  She loves the way that most of them fall all over themselves explaining that they misunderstood her and that they made a mistake and if there is ANYTHING that they can do for her, please don't hesitate to ask.  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom