stop the rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef john

Hello all,
looking for input on stoppin' the rockin'. I am looking to stabilize the 5er but as us Southerners say, they are a might proud of those JTs'. I am ready to install something similar. I am just lookin for the chapest alternative.
Thanks to all,
John

I don't think you will ever stop the rockin, all you can do is try and minimize it. My latest and best method so far was to invest in the tire locks. They are like a scissors jack that goes between the tires and compresses into the tires. I have tried chalk's, king pin tripods, concrete blocks, you name it, the tire locks have worked the best.

Putting the rear stabilizers down helps.  We usually don't bother with them.  We just think of the rocking as similiar to being on a boat, i.e., we ignore it.

Jeannine

The combination of rear stabilizer jacks and tire locking chocks like one of the brands suggested is your best bet. Adding a kingpin bipod or tripod jack can sometimes add a bit more, but it has a fairly heavy price tag for a bit more stability.

And crank those rear stabilizers down good!

RV Roamer said:
The combination of rear stabilizer jacks and tire locking chocks like one of the brands suggested is your best bet. Adding a kingpin bipod or tripod jack can sometimes add a bit more, but it has a fairly heavy price tag for a bit more stability.

And crank those rear stabilizers down good!

We will be getting the scissors type chocks for next season.  As mentioned with others, we crank down the real stabilizers and use a KP tripod.  It really seems to make a big difference.

Get someone to walk back & forth in the trailer while you watch the tires. They'll move a bit plus the trailer will swing on the spring shackles. I tried blocks driven in by the tires and it would help, but not stop it. The locking chock with just a bare minimum of pressure stops the tire movement. I've been cautioned to not use too much pressure as it'll push on the tires and axles and may cause a problem.

when cranking down the rear stabilizers I usually crank them down right before I hit level then use the power front legs to put pressure on them and bring the rig to level. Never more than a half notch on the bubble. Does anyone else use this method?

no matter how you get there, chocking your wheels is one of the most important things to do when setting up either a TT or a 5'er.......and the more heavy the trailer is, the more important it gets.  Not only are you trying to stop the rock but after you pull the pin on your hitch, there isnt a brake activated on your trailer and if it rolls for any reason, its not stopping until its ready.  .......and in a 5er that may weight 10,000lbs loaded, that is a lot of weight to have roll out of control. 

When I was pulling a 5'er, the first thing I did after I drove up on the level blocks and before I pulled the pin on the hitch was to chock......and I never unchocked until I was hooked up and the truck had control of the trailer.

You see lots of people driving around with damaged top rails due to not chocking.

I create glass beads in our 5W and my wife is a beader.  During the winter we live and work in our 5W and we want the rig as stable as possible when we're working.  We've got the wheel chocks, use the stabilizers, and have a hitch stabilizer, but the thing that I used for the first time last year was a set of four bottle jacks.  Using them to lift a bunch of the weight off the springs makes a big difference, in my opinion.

Herm

Back
Top Bottom