Stops along I-80

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I 80 RV parks
Another great reference is RV LIFE Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
I think you are wise to place a limit like 250 miles/day on your driving. I also suggest you limit driving speed to 60 MPH for the first few days until you feel comfortable with driving and learn how your rig handles.
Be sure to check tire pressures, the vast majority of all tire problems are due to under-inflation/overloading.

Last edited:
I use Campendium as a good resource to find parks - use the "free" filter to get an idea. Campendium

1. Do the majority of the interstate rest areas allow for RV overnight parking? I
I have never been chased out of a rest stop. I plan to be there no longer than 6-8 hours usually. Eat, bio break, 4-5 hours sleep. I have found the "first" rest stop in a particular state is often the best/largest/visitor center.

1. Any issues overnighting in the truck pull-through stops at rest areas and running the generator, or leaving it on standby? Is that common practice for RVs? With the Toad, we can only go in one direction!

I try to be sensitive to the truckers but a lot of rest stops direct the RVs to the same slots as the truckers so I don't panic over using them. I have had no issues running the generator. Often the trucks stay running for their own power/HVAC needs.

They can be bright and maybe a bit noisy but that never really bothered me.

1. In general with a mid to late afternoon arrival, are big-rig friendly parking spots generally available in truck stops/rest areas? I know it's an open ended question, and would depend on the location and time of year, but was wondering how much we could rely on that option.

One thing I do is to have a second option. I don't stop in the afternoon and plan to leave in the early am (like 1 am) - I tend to arrive at 8-9pm and depart at 5-6am.

I have never figured out what causes a high number of truckers to appear at any given rest stop but it does happen. If it's full I have no choice but to move on. I think it's only happened once or twice.

1. Is there any resource that lists the Walmarts and Cabelas that allow overnight parking? In general, are there designated pull-through friendly areas that could accommodate 60 feet of coach and toad?
Use Campendium - that does identify Walmarts and such. Another thing I do the night before in planning is to look at the satellite view on google maps. Here is a screen shot of the Walmart here in Live Oak. I have circled one TT rig. I have also circled where we get larger rigs and lately even semis parking across the angle parking spaces.

1704459167458.png

Speaking of WM overnighting; I called one a days drive away to confirm I could overnight there. The lady said no RV or semi overnighting, the parking lot was leased and shared by 4 other businesses, so the property owner posted the parking lot.
I thanked her, hung up and found a closed shopping center parking lot a mile away. I was the only vehicle in a 10 acre blacktop lot, when security cam by I stopped them and asked permision, and was told yes.

I have never figured out what causes a high number of truckers to appear at any given rest stop but it does happen. If it's full I have no choice but to move on. I think it's only happened once or twice.

View attachment 170243
In a post-industrial service (conspicuous consumption) economy where what's on the shelf at your local retailer next week is on a truck 2,000 miles away today, algorithyms do the ordering and what's being stocked tonight came in from a distribution hub this morning.

Last edited:
Speaking from experience here.... we have a Newmar Super Star 4059, which I believe is on the same long-wheelbase Freightliner M2 chassis as your new Verona. That's 345" or almost 29' between the front and rear axle.

Trust me, you do not want to plan to camp at any big-box retail store, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Retail store parking lots, malls, tight city streets, etc, are a no-go with this truck. The wheelbase will hang you out to dry if you're not used to it, and I've driven semi's for a living in a former life.

Swing wider than you think you need, and start turning earlier than you think you need with this truck. Even if you have a shorter wheelbase version.

The rule of thumb is you should never back up with a toad attached. It's mostly true. If you get hung up while turning (and I bet you will, once or twice...), my suggestion is turn on the rear camera. You can back up just enough, watch the tow bars, and the angles of the wheels on your toad. Often, you can get just a little more "kink" in the setup without bending or stressing anything, so you can clear the obstacle with the nose of the truck. This is called "jacking into it". I've got a smirk on my face too.

We did I80 through Nebraska on over to Indiana. Chicago is no big deal if you hit at the right time of day (i.e. not rush hour). There's lots of on/off traffic and road construction in the late spring and summer, but when we went in May, it wasn't bad. If a semi truck can do it (they do), so can you.

I highly recommend Love's RV stops. They have RV spots and hookups for quick overnight stays. The Love's RV stop on 80 just west of Chicago (Morris, IL) is a good one.

My other recommendation.... You're going to want to fuel that rig only at a truck stop. You've got saddle tanks and they likely do NOT cross over fast enough to fill one-sided. You'll need to fuel with both left and right pump handles, something you only typically find at a truck stop.

Get you the TSD Open Roads app and sign up for their EFS fuel card (it links to an ACH account, it's not credit) so you can fuel at truck stops. The app will help you plan your fuel stops and it displays real-time pricing information. TSD offers substantial discounts (fleet rate) on what truck stops advertise on their signs.

If you exit from I-80 out further west be certain to refill no matter what the fuel stop looks like.

Below is the sign northwest of Winnemucca, Nevada on I-80 to Lakeview, Oregon. There's similar signage from Rock Springs, Wyoming on I-80 to Maybell, Colorado.

Next_Gas_179_Miles_-_panoramio.jpg

We get well over 500 miles of range out of our tanks but haven't pushed it. 100 gallons at 7.5-8.0mpg average when towing, have seen almost as high as 10 when the wind is with us. The fuel light comes on and the needle is resting nearly on empty in our M2 with more than 30 gallons remaining...I'd imagine the OP's Renegade is almost the same.

In a post-industrial service (conspicuous consumption) economy where what's on the shelf at your local retailer next week is on a truck 2,000 miles away today, algorithyms do the ordering and what's being stocked tonight came in from a distribution hub this morning.
So more trucks on the road, with longer hauls, and with shorter tolerances for mandatory stops = more demand for spots. Makes sense.

So more trucks on the road, with longer hauls, and with shorter tolerances for mandatory stops = more demand for spots. Makes sense.
Check, they're just doing their jobs. If I can I'll try to find a spot over in the car area so those guys aren't having to park on the shoulder of the ramp to sleep.

I highly recommend Love's RV stops. They have RV spots and hookups for quick overnight stays. The Love's RV stop on 80 just west of Chicago (Morris, IL) is a good one.
I don't disagree but I would just add, as you no doubt know that all Love's are not created equal. We've pulled into some Love's where my first reaction was: "You gotta' be kidding!".
Barely enough room to get back out without dropping the tow.

Given the area we travel in most we prefer, in order, FlyingJ, Pilot, then the others such as Love's.

Speaking from experience here.... we have a Newmar Super Star 4059, which I believe is on the same long-wheelbase Freightliner M2 chassis as your new Verona. That's 345" or almost 29' between the front and rear axle.

Trust me, you do not want to plan to camp at any big-box retail store, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Retail store parking lots, malls, tight city streets, etc, are a no-go with this truck. The wheelbase will hang you out to dry if you're not used to it, and I've driven semi's for a living in a former life.

Swing wider than you think you need, and start turning earlier than you think you need with this truck. Even if you have a shorter wheelbase version.

The rule of thumb is you should never back up with a toad attached. It's mostly true. If you get hung up while turning (and I bet you will, once or twice...), my suggestion is turn on the rear camera. You can back up just enough, watch the tow bars, and the angles of the wheels on your toad. Often, you can get just a little more "kink" in the setup without bending or stressing anything, so you can clear the obstacle with the nose of the truck. This is called "jacking into it". I've got a smirk on my face too.

We did I80 through Nebraska on over to Indiana. Chicago is no big deal if you hit at the right time of day (i.e. not rush hour). There's lots of on/off traffic and road construction in the late spring and summer, but when we went in May, it wasn't bad. If a semi truck can do it (they do), so can you.
It's a M2-106 chassis, spec'd at 309" wheelbase, but either way, that was one of my concerns with the box store overnight option, especially since my frame of reference is the Walmarts we have in Connecticut. I would guess those in the midwest would be a little more open, but without a dedicated big rig parking area it seems like it might be big square peg, small round hole! Cornering angles are definitely something I will need to get a feel for before I hit the road for the return trip. Rural Nebraska is probably a good place to practice.

Verona specs.PNG

On the backing up option, are we talking inches or a few feet of wiggle room in reverse? Another thing I should probably test out I suppose.

I'll work the Chicago pass through timing into our overnight planning to try to time that right. If the main downside is having to slow down, and the congestion area is only 15 - 20 miles, it seems like a hundred mile detour on route 74 might still make the trip longer.

Thanks! I'll check it out and do a little advance scouting to see where the Love's are and what they look like. Google Earth is a great resource. I'm probably being over-the-top cautious with this in general, but I blame my early Eagle scout training for that. :)

My other recommendation.... You're going to want to fuel that rig only at a truck stop. You've got saddle tanks and they likely do NOT cross over fast enough to fill one-sided. You'll need to fuel with both left and right pump handles, something you only typically find at a truck stop.

Get you the TSD Open Roads app and sign up for their EFS fuel card (it links to an ACH account, it's not credit) so you can fuel at truck stops. The app will help you plan your fuel stops and it displays real-time pricing information. TSD offers substantial discounts (fleet rate) on what truck stops advertise on their signs.
That was on my list of things to ask the dealer on delivery - does the cross over make one-sided filling feasible. Either way, having the secondary fuel hose to piggy-back during the fill-up, as well as a DEF tank at the truck stops seems like the better more efficient way to go. Looks like TSD discount is available at a number of the fuel station chains. It's a no-brainer.

We get well over 500 miles of range out of our tanks but haven't pushed it. 100 gallons at 7.5-8.0mpg average when towing, have seen almost as high as 10 when the wind is with us. The fuel light comes on and the needle is resting nearly on empty in our M2 with more than 30 gallons remaining...I'd imagine the OP's Renegade is almost the same.
On paper it is the same, and I was thinking 550 - 600 miles between fuel-ups, unless of course there is a big stretch like the one in the photo above.

It's a M2-106 chassis, spec'd at 309" wheelbase, but either way, that was one of my concerns with the box store overnight option, especially since my frame of reference is the Walmarts we have in Connecticut. I would guess those in the midwest would be a little more open, but without a dedicated big rig parking area it seems like it might be big square peg, small round hole! Cornering angles are definitely something I will need to get a feel for before I hit the road for the return trip. Rural Nebraska is probably a good place to practice.

View attachment 170275

On the backing up option, are we talking inches or a few feet of wiggle room in reverse? Another thing I should probably test out I suppose.

I'll work the Chicago pass through timing into our overnight planning to try to time that right. If the main downside is having to slow down, and the congestion area is only 15 - 20 miles, it seems like a hundred mile detour on route 74 might still make the trip longer.
You can back a toad a few feet as long as it’s straight, but trust me, that operation can go south in a hurry.

To emphasize what Onyrlef says, before backing it must be straight, AND the toad's front wheels must be straight. Then, with care, you can ease back a very few feet, keeping a close eye on the toad's front wheels, because you MUST stop when they start to turn, else the toad will swing to the side with potential damage to the toad, coach, and/or tow bar. You will not be able to direct those front wheels like you can with a regular trailer.

If things are not straight, DO NOT BACK UP. It's better to disconnect the toad than to cause damage -- "go south in a hurry" indeed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffery_rv
Back
Top Bottom