Stops along I-80

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a M2-106 chassis, spec'd at 309" wheelbase

On the backing up option, are we talking inches or a few feet of wiggle room in reverse? Another thing I should probably test out I suppose.

You'll be better off than we are with the 309" wheelbase. The photos online make it look like the long wheelbase version. That's still almost 26' just between axles though!

On backing with a toad, you'll get the people who say don't, never/ever. It's the safer mantra to abide by for sure.

When backing, it's easy to become flustered. Angry drivers, traffic, or a frustrating situation (misjudged a turn and now you're 'stuck'). Things to keep in mind if you do: Watch the tow bar, you don't want it to make contact with the RV, obviously. You don't want to back in an opposite direction that the toad or its wheels are already turned. Basically, you can back just a few feet or more to "undo" a little of your turn, same path you came in. But you don't want to try to maneuver or wiggle around a whole bunch.

You'll be better off than we are with the 309" wheelbase. The photos online make it look like the long wheelbase version. That's still almost 26' just between axles though!

On backing with a toad, you'll get the people who say don't, never/ever. It's the safer mantra to abide by for sure.

When backing, it's easy to become flustered. Angry drivers, traffic, or a frustrating situation (misjudged a turn and now you're 'stuck'). Things to keep in mind if you do: Watch the tow bar, you don't want it to make contact with the RV, obviously. You don't want to back in an opposite direction that the toad or its wheels are already turned. Basically, you can back just a few feet or more to "undo" a little of your turn, same path you came in. But you don't want to try to maneuver or wiggle around a whole bunch.
I am probably in the camp of never/ever. It's those low probability high impact risks that I prefer to avoid. If you do damage the tow setup or worse, you are stuck with having to drive two vehicles or have to find and arrange a repair away from home. That doesn't sound easy.

Just thinking through the "geometry", as long as the intersection without cars is wide enough to get through, then as long as you haven't created hopeless gridlock, it should be possible to wait for cars to clear and let you pass. If the rear of coach is about to run over the sidewalk, then a hard turn in the opposite direction should in most cases clear it?

It's for the situations where the only answer is to back up. There are plenty of situations that lead themselves to that...treachery and experience will help you avoid them in the first place. The other answer may be to get out and disconnect the toad in traffic. Who wants to do that? It's not safe.

I saw a semi have to do that once. Can’t remember the city, but it was a big one. The semi had started up a narrow steep road well marked with “No Trucks” signage. He was going to have to back down, and a police car was stopping traffic for him.

If I was in a bad traffic situation and had to unhook the toad I would call law enforcement for assistance.
Makes sense.

I think the hardest thing for some drivers to do is to just stay calm if you find yourself in such a situation. Sure, other drivers may be hoking their horns and yelling, just ignore 'em rather than trying to do something that might make the situation worse. If you can't unhook safely then by all means, call 911.

Back
Top Bottom