stuck doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard Kelly

After leaving my 5th wheel in Tucson last spring for the summer I arrive in Dec and the doors (man and storage) were all stuck shut. Seems the weather stripping was stuck to both sides. Had to pry them open and allmost broke them.
What can I put on the weather stripping to keep this from happening again.

Worth a try but not so sure it would handle the heat, a light coat of Vaseline maybe???

Foxysdad said:
After leaving my 5th wheel in Tucson last spring for the summer I arrive in Dec and the doors (man and storage) were all stuck shut. Seems the weather stripping was stuck to both sides. Had to pry them open and allmost broke them.

Protect-all has a spray that may work.  It seems to have been worked on my slide outs.  No problems in about 7 years.  I had to replace the seals just before I started using it, the reason I now use it!  :)

ChiefM said:
Worth a try but not so sure it would handle the heat, a light coat of Vaseline maybe???

That would certainly NOT be the direction to go in the desert. Too much dust. I'd suggest a dry lubricant, like graphite, but that might not be the most aesthetic... Maybe pure talcum power? That seems to maintain some residual slickness as most of it wears off, more so than corn starch baby powder.

Mylo

Foxysdad said:

Talc works best.  I use tire talc from an auto parts place rather than the drug store stuff, because it's purer and unscented.

Works far better than silicone, have tried both.

The use of Vaseline on rubber components should be avoided. It is a petroleum based product that can break down the material over time. A silicone plumbers grease would be better. Handy to have for O-rings,gaskets and such. It is made for high temperature applications such as faucet assemblies.
Just a FYI from a helpful hardware guy.

What not to use.... A Teflon based grease (Magic-Lube?) used for O-rings on pool filter installations. Available from pool supply stores. It will become a very sticky substance when dry and collect dirt like flypaper.

Just a little warning.

I use a product called  Sil-glyde  from NAPA  on my Corvette rubber seals. It makes them stay soft so the windows don't leak. I've used it on my other vehicles and the MH too. It's a little greasy when first installed but it don't stay greasy long. Makes the rubber more pliable.

What I have found out over the years...

WELDON touched on the subject of Valseline and any other petroleum based product.  I concur.  A no-no in my book.

A silicone spray is messy if only wanting to spray the rubber seal without all the over spray.  It's a PITA to clean up where you don't want it.  And it doesn't seem to last very long.  If any of that matters to you.

I use a Teflon based grease, hand applied, on my slide seal and cargo door seals.  A little extra elbow grease, but I have had good luck with the product.  As carson mentioned, available at swimming pool supply stores.  I don't have the problem with road dust and grime due to being permanent.  But, I just wipe the seals down every other year or two with a paper towel, re-apply the grease with a clean paper towel, forget about it for another couple of years.  I just replaced the original 1994 slide seal and the cargo door seals are still fine.  I'm sticking with it, UNLESS...

92GA brings up a product I am unfamiliar with.  I shop quite often at a local NAPA and will have to inquire about Sil-glyde.  Might be something to consider.

A similar subject concerning slide seal lubrication has been addressed before.  You might want to search the site under that title and do a little research.  Might be some answers for you.

Sil-glyde from NAPA is what I tried before I found out about talc on another forum.  NAPA sells it for lubricating the pad slides for disc brakes.  Great product for that but I don't recommend it for window or door gaskets.

Jammer said:
Sil-glyde from NAPA is what I tried before I found out about talc on another forum.  NAPA sells it for lubricating the pad slides for disc brakes.  Great product for that but I don't recommend it for window or door gaskets.

I suggest that you read all the applications Sil- glyde is used for. The window seals on my Corvette were getting hard,  and leaking when it rained hard. The windows, doors  on my truck would freeze shut, before I used Sil-glyde. Not anymore. The seals on the Vette softened up after 2 applications, and I continue to use it at service time. Use it like the directions say and it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom