Sub for Diesel Fuel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceinFL

I see that Jet A fuel is cheaper than street diesel. Does anyone know if Jet A can be used in a street diesel engine?

We used Jet-A for years in our airport refuelers without problems but you will be a tax evader as no road taxes are paid on it.

I also doubt if Jet-A meets current EPA standards for low or very low sulpher.

Jeff,

Do they dye jet-A like they do marine diesel?

Could someone repeat (?) or take moment to explain "use of Dye" in diesel fuel again..... Dye in taxed or untaxed fuel, and penalties for mis-use....???
Thanks,

Jim,

Marine diesel fuel is dyed to indicate it doesn't have one of the road/fuel taxes levied. I've heard they get mean if you're caught using it in road vehicles.

Interesting comments in this article about Washington boaters being able to claim gas tax refunds. This would suggest that different states might handle the tax in different ways, or maybe that the tax on marine gas is handled differently from marine diesel.

Similarly, diesel sold to farmers and the like for off road use only is dyed as well.  In many areas, you'll see the separate pump for off road diesel and you had better not get caught putting it in your car or truck.

My question had to do more with engine operation rather than tax, etc issues. Technically speaking, is Jet A OK to use?

A friend even used furnace oil in his twin screw diesel boat.  It worked fine, other than it smokes a bit until it is fully warmed up.

Bruce,

I don't think there would be a problem with an older engine but would be very skeptical that it would be OK in an engine that requires ULSD.  If it does not meet the ULSD requirements, the cost of replacing all the SMOG stuff is VERY expensive

JMO though,

Jet A can be used in a diesel engine, but it is generally considered a bad idea.

For one, it is not as good a lubricant as diesel, and will quickly eat up seals in injection pumps.

Second, it burns at a higher temperature, which will overheat the engine.

Third, I doubt that it is cheaper once taxes are paid.

If you want to save money on diesel fuel, consider making your own biodiesel.  Its kind of fun and most states don't expect to collect taxes on it so long as you don't sell it and make under a certain number of gallons a year.

Mr Bojangles said:
Could someone repeat (?) or take moment to explain "use of Dye" in diesel fuel again..... Dye in taxed or untaxed fuel, and penalties for mis-use....???
Thanks,

Jim,

As mentioned, they dye fuel that is for off road use only such as marine and farm equipment. I believe there is a heavy fine if caught using off road fuel in an on road vehicle. I know over near Chiefland, FL there is an inspection station in the middle of a road through town. Not sure if there are any others but there could be.

There is no dye in jet-A but remember there is a heavy aviation tax already on the fuel. (That tax does not allow you to use it on the road.)

I use Hydrogen and Oxygen in my RV. Trouble is I cant get the engine to start.

Ever heard of H2O.?

I predict that in the year of 2058 it'll work.  See you then.

carson FL

Jeff Cousins said:
There is no dye in jet-A but remember there is a heavy aviation tax already on the fuel. (That tax does not allow you to use it on the road.)

Even with the aviation taxes, Jet A is cheaper than diesel.

I just checked local Jet A prices in the Phoenix area and they are $5.25-$6.00 for retail customers. Where you looking at airline pricing?

Jeff Cousins said:
I just checked local Jet A prices in the Phoenix area and they are $5.25-$6.00 for retail customers. Where you looking at airline pricing?

Wouldn't realize much savings there would we. :(

Jeff Cousins said:

At our local airport in FL.

Thanks all for your responses.......

Just traded in my Gas vehicle for a diesel and sure surprised at increase in "cost difference" for diesel.... WOW! It seems to have jumped  in price from 13% higher to 20% percent higher. 

When Gas was around $3.19, I remember Diesel at $3.67, or 13% higher.....
Today Gas around $3.299, Diesel is $4.16 or 21% higher in a month or two.....

With my Gas unit, a Hemi 5.7L, my milage was 9.5 MPG pulling small (less than 4K Lbs. Drag not weight being issue) Trailer.
Hoping to increase mileage more than 21% and pull with a bigger safety margin using Cummings engine.

But...., looking to move up to small Fifth Wheel. (This RVing (travel) thing is getting under my skin.... give me more!) If I move up, additional drag, and weight will bring down that advantage real soon.

Wow! $3.299 for gas..... $4.399 for Diesel at moment. This means difference is 25% and only 13% difference a few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom