Suburban 1500, Towing Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks a lot. I am really fed up with RV TT sales people telling me how “not to worry”; my burb is rated to 8100 #. I mention that the most my vehicle and TT can weight is 14000K per GM, and they always say......”ain’t no way you are going to have more than 1000# in that trailer”. I have learned so much, and I hope to learn more. You guys are super.

Can it pull it , maybe ?, maybe not ?, my .02's worth, i think you will be pushing the limits of safety when you try !. you deff want a electric brake controller for your TV !. i have never understood the reason folks want the biggest , longest camper on the market ?. then you have dealers that say '' sure..your truck can pull this camper no problem's '' !, yeah..what ever..never...EVER..TRUST A DEALER SALESMAN !..LOL. do the math, then do it again !. numbers do not lie !. i have many years ago pulled a 29 ft nomad from ar to az, did my 1/2 ton pull it ?, yes, was it slow ?, yes, did i enjoy the trip ?..NO !..LOL. white knuckle, gas drinking all the way. even with a WD, sway bars, brake controller, it was not fun !. bottom line : try to over look the fancy stuff most want in a camper, and think about safety, SAFETY SHOULD BE NUMBER 1 ON THE LIST !.

I had an eye opening experience a few weeks back. I tow a 35’ 5th wheel with no wind or tractor trailer issues. I also tow a utility trailer (14’ at 7000 lbs) no issues and a 16’ bobcat trailer with small excavator (10000 lbs) with no issues.
This is all with the truck in my signature.
I was towing an empty 22’ car hauler (8’ ceiling height) and the wind gusts, maybe 20mph, were making it the most white knuckle drive on the highway at 60mph I have experienced.
This was with a 1 ton diesel. I can’t imagine a 25’+ TT behind a 1/2 ton or smaller.

I have "seen the light". I have decided against the TT for now. Safety, enjoyment of the travel, and TT comfort do not allow me to continue with the size tow veh I have. I would have to tow too small a TT to make the stay comfortable. Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom