Suburban SW6 propane water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoser0

Have a 2006 Suburban SW6 water heater, propane, standing pilot. Not electronic ignition. Pretty much bullet proof but having an issue keeping the pilot lit. I have changed the Thermocouple and pilot assembly and it still won't stay lit. Have held the pilot button down for more than 5 minutes to make sure everything is heated up. As soon as I let off the pilot button it goes out. Have checked for obstructions and found none. Seems unlikely it has anything to do with the gas valve but maybe I'm missing something.

The gas valve regulates the flow of gas to the standing pilot. It could be a bad gas valve.

It sounds like you have replaced everything that would typically be causing the problem. My only suggestion before replacing the valve would be to insure you have correct gas, correct gas pressure and correct airflow.

Last edited:
I think the Suburban SW6 was known to have gas valve problems in that era. The one closest to the tank would not open. I can't recall if it was the run solenoid or the pilot. White-Rodgers made a replacement. (?) IIRC it was about $25 12 years ago. Found a reference to it on the PPL parts site.

By putting 12 volts to it you could feel and hear it open. No noise/feel equaled dead.

Back
Top Bottom