superchip engine modifier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well. With BANKS and Workhorse.  Workehorse might have a problem saying "Banks Broke It"

But in all other "Enhancement" combinations

Heaven forbid an engine component fail.. Now, notice I am not saying the upgrade caused the failure.  I'm just saying it failed

The engine maker will say "The upgrade caused the failure" and can you afford to prove it did not?  I can't

The lone exception to this might well be the Banks mod on the Chevy 8.1  And that is because of the fact that in 2006 Workhorse offered what they called the "SS" option.  Basically it was their own version of the Banks mod.

However the banks option is not cost effective on the 8.1

wife has a 1992 full size Blazer we bought new in 1992.
in early 1993, we added a JET chip (installs easy behind glove box).
we noticed right away the smoother shifting, and an improvement in performance and gas mileage.
truck now has 170k miles, no troubles with engine at all.
was told by Lopers (the speed shop we bought the chip at), that similar chips for Fords do not realize the same increase in performance or gas mileage.
I have no idea on newer vehicles, how such chips may work.
the way it was explained to us - the chips at that time, were pretty much the same, and JET chips were designed
more specifically for each vehicle.
we have been very happy with the JET chip.

Well Joester there are several ways to "program" an engine

For example. If you intent is to attempt to win the Daytona 500, you want acceleration and speed, in short, preformance

If they still had the Mobile Economy Run you'd want best fuel millage

If you are going to be hauling steel like my brother does, You want raw horsepower coupled with economy (Why he drives a Detroit Diesel Series 60, Millage plus power in one package designed by a race car driver)

Most engine designs do not allow you to attain all the above with the same settings.  So the engine makers set it up with a compromise,  Usually performance/millage cross-over point.  However with CAFE they may weight toward MPG.

Now: another issue is that the same engine may be used in several vehicles... For example the 8.1L Chevy Vortec I have in my Workhorse Custom Chassis motor home is the very same 8.1L Vortec that Chevy drops in selected Silverados.  now, say 4-5,000 lbs of Silverado v/s 22,000 pounds of Motor home.. Clearly different settings are needed.

Also the same engine that turns out a bit over 300 HP in my motor home can crank out 500 HP in a boat (Improved cooling with a lake size radiator underneath you)

Again, different settings on the engine control computer

What the "Super Chip" makers do is set a different part of the curve.  Also a full Banks or Ultra power setup will increase the air intake, the exhaust size and other modifications that actually can improve performance, power and POSSIBLY economy.

However, even at 5.00/gallon I don't think the economy increase will make up for the cost of installation.

And.. I know of cases where someone put dang near every modification he could on his engine to improve performance. Dit it work? I don't know

What I do know is in another thread there is a message from someone who is not having a good month.

You see, They blew the engine in THEIR motor home.  Over $9,000 dollars to drop in a new motor, plug nearly another thousand to tow it in,, They picked it up, drove it home, and a storm brought down a tree on top of the rig.

(Some days it just don't pay to get out of bed)  Now, the two people are not, far as I know, related (The Dude who blew his engine by over-modifying was LAST YEAR, the guy with the tree is this month) but you get the idea

Now only did he throw his money away on "improvements" but another 9-10 grand on a new Engine.

By the way I got the over-modified engine from two people

One, Alan, over at Workhorse (National Service Manager) Who reminded service centers that if you modify the engine in this way it MIGHT void the warranty thus they should look carefully for the cause of the failure.. (I Stress MIGHT)

And From a local Ford Dealer... One was a Chevy Engine in a motor home.. The other a Ford in a car.

In both cases warranty was denied and the owner had to pay out of pocket for the repairs

John,
you make good points.
allI was trying to post that was that for basically a passenger vehicle (we never even tow with the Blazer),
the JET chip has worked well for us in a 1992 Chevy with a stock 350.
I do anticipate a full Banks set up for my next rv - whatever that may be in the future.

OH, I have no doubt that a good programmer can not get better millage without costing performance, or better performance without costing millage.  I mean, How do you think my brother manages to pass more gas stations than anyone else on the road

(He has a Detroit Diesel Series 60 under his .... Well, it's a cab over so you know what it's under)  Best programming.

However, these days I suspect they do a rather good job of fine tuning.. .but a good programmer should be able to eak out just a tad more...

You have to ask, are the dangers worse then the benefits.  and is the cost worse than the benefits?

Banks system:  I'm not convinced the cost is worth the savings.. But the system is proven and the dangers are low

Ultra Power:  Less expensive, also a proven system, risks are also low

Many of the systems out there (The bigger the brag the higher the risk) are not so proven, or have been proven the other way, the risks are higher and still the cost exceeds the savings.

However some folks just plain like the improvement in performance and I think with both Banks and Ultra Power you will find a performance enhancement if nothing else.  How much depends on how much of the system you get.  I may consider UltraPower (The lower cost system), however... I'm gonna need to generate some income first.

I have a 2000 GMC 2500 with a 6 liter gas and I tow a 29 foot trailer. I went to my local GM dealer who also has a performance shop and had a Magnaflow 4 inch Catback exhaust system installed, Air mass and Volant air intake system installed. This amde a huge difference in my performance especially when climbing on mountain roads. However, I still wasn't happy, so I purchased a Hypertech progammer and that completed my expexcations of what this vehicle should do. I am very satisfied with the $325 in vestment.  Al Hayduk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom