switching from 1 12v to 2 6vs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slumbert55

a friend asked me if he switched to 2 6v batt in his new 5er would the converter would charge them ok, and if so how to hook them up without letting the smoke out of anything.
                                                                          steve

I will let Karl's file explain the hook up but to answer the question

Odds are it will work

However he needs to check his converter, Some converters (LIke mine) are protected by circuit breakers, Some of those are self-resetting (mine is) some are manual (He will need to know where they are) and some are protected by fuses. I would suggest a set of spare fuses and a "Stand alone" automotive charger

The reason:  A pair of six volt, fully discharged, can suck a LOT of charge current,  Enough to trip the self resetting 80 amp breaker in my rig.  Enough to pop the fuses, or trip the manual breakers in rigs so protected

Now a manual breaker you can reset once or twice and all will be good

But with fuses you need to pre-charge a while with the automotive charger before you replace them,  Say an hour at 10-20 amps

John In Detroit said:
I will let Karl's file explain the hook up but to answer the question

Odds are it will work

However he needs to check his converter, Some converters (LIke mine) are protected by circuit breakers, Some of those are self-resetting (mine is) some are manual (He will need to know where they are) and some are protected by fuses. I would suggest a set of spare fuses and a "Stand alone" automotive charger

The reason:  A pair of six volt, fully discharged, can suck a LOT of charge current,  Enough to trip the self resetting 80 amp breaker in my rig.  Enough to pop the fuses, or trip the manual breakers in rigs so protected

Now a manual breaker you can reset once or twice and all will be good

But with fuses you need to pre-charge a while with the automotive charger before you replace them,  Say an hour at 10-20 amps
thanks john that is a must to know, i will send that on to him. i suggested he join the fourm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom