Switching to electric tongue jack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam Bar

All,

Is it a big deal to switch to an electric tongue jack?  How do they connect to power?  Directly to the battery?

Any bits of info I should know prior to purchase?
Thanks,  John

As Gary said make sure you install a fuse in the + wire. Put some blocks under the frame and lower the camper onto them. Then you just undo the three bolts and bolt the new on.

I would add a shut off switch that is hidden else where to prevent any kids or unauthorized tampering of the electric jack. Hand crank jack no one wants to mess with it. But put a button that goes up and down and now everyone wants to push your buttons...  ;D

I didn't bother with lowering the trailer tongue onto wood blocks.  Just do the installation with the trailer tongue sitting on the tow vehicle's hitch ball.

Now that I am looking at them on line, It appears the bolt holes on my a frame are 3" apart, and I am seeing some jacks that are 2- 2 1/4 " apart.  Not sure how to choose one that will fit the existing holes?  They don't all give that info as far as I can see. 

Make sure the head unit is sealed good or cover it when parked.

I had one on my TT. The trailer was parked and set up with out moving for a couple of years.  When I went to move it...  the jack was rusted solid from water intrusion.  I could  not even use the manual method on it.  Had to use a hydraulic jack to remove the jack and lower it onto my tow vehicle. 

Mopar1973Man said:
I would add a shut off switch that is hidden else where to prevent any kids or unauthorized tampering of the electric jack. Hand crank jack no one wants to mess with it. But put a button that goes up and down and now everyone wants to push your buttons...  ;D

yep, really good idea!

The last thing you want is to have someone push your buttons while the stabilizer jacks are down :eek:

Brainstorming, but a momentary switch would be nice, so that you can push your hidden button and have enough time to operate the jack.... but then you don't have to worry about forgetting to kill your safety switch

An electric tongue jack is on our short list of things to buy.  Is there one electric jack better than another or are they all pretty much the same?  In other words, which jack would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom