TAILGATER DISH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We bought a Playmaker a couple years ago and it has performed flawlessly. Take it out, set it down with handle north, hookup cable and tv within 5 minutes. I used to sight in a dish and it took 3-5 beers. This is so easy! Used it from mid south Florida to Utah so far and hooks up every time.

We have the Tailgater.  it works just fine if you have a clear view of the Southwest sky.

For Dish sat service, the Winegard Pathway X2 is a better choice than the western arc only Tailgater. The X2 has both eastern and western satellite arc capability, expanding your aiming opportunities on treed sites. East of the Mississippi, a number of the local stations are eastern arc only while others are only in HD on eastern arc. The X2 also has a larger reflector than the Tailgater, which means less rain fade. The only downside is that it's a bit larger, so it takes up a little more storage space.

We use the winegard g3 carry out. A great Dish. They really upgraded its ability to catch satellites when you?re in a site with a bunch of trees. It?s incredibly easy to use and power runs down the coax so you don?t have to run two cables. Setup is literally five minutes. Easy peasy

NY_Dutch said:
For Dish sat service, the Winegard Pathway X2 is a better choice than the western arc only Tailgater. The X2 has both eastern and western satellite arc capability, expanding your aiming opportunities on treed sites. East of the Mississippi, a number of the local stations are eastern arc only while others are only in HD on eastern arc. The X2 also has a larger reflector than the Tailgater, which means less rain fade. The only downside is that it's a bit larger, so it takes up a little more storage space.

I used the tailgater as far west as Nevada and as far north as Wyoming with no trouble whatsoever, I am now using the G2 because I left Dish and started using my Direct receiver from the house. I do have a tailgater for sale if you are anywhere near Homestead, Florida.

gwcowgill said:
I used the tailgater as far west as Nevada and as far north as Wyoming with no trouble whatsoever, I am now using the G2 because I left Dish and started using my Direct receiver from the house. I do have a tailgater for sale if you are anywhere near Homestead, Florida.

The Tailgater should work ok all the way to the west coast since it only receives the Dish western arc satellites. Assuming of course there's a clear line of sight. It's on the east coast where problems can rear up, especially in the northeast where the western arc sats are at a much lower elevation. If you change your locals in your east coast travels, you'll also find that some markets are eastern arc only, while others are only in HD on the eastern arc. The Pathway X2 solves all of those problems, as well as giving you more aiming choices on tree covered campsites.

I've used my Tailgater in 18 states from Cali to Tennessee.  Always works and is better than our coach mounted Winegard Road Trip(circa '00 in-motion dome)because we like to camp under trees. 

Don't bother bringing out your Tailgater at the site shown below:

Attachments

• dp-2016-01-18_13-42-28-797.jpg
    dp-2016-01-18_13-42-28-797.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 31
  • dp-2016-01-18_13-42-04-682.jpg
    dp-2016-01-18_13-42-04-682.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 32
That second picture looks like when they tried to find the birds when setting up a satellite system at my s&b house.  At the time, Direct wouldn't mount the dish to a pole, it had to be on the house.  Ended up going Dish, with the antenna mounted to a pole in the yard.

Here's where I am right now, another location where both Direct and the Dish western arc are not viewable anywhere on the site. The Dish eastern arc sats are completely in the clear though.

Attachments

• dp-2016-06-14_11-04-04-148.jpg
    dp-2016-06-14_11-04-04-148.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 17
  • dp-2018-09-16_14-06-21-986.jpg
    dp-2018-09-16_14-06-21-986.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 17
PAPA BARE said:
Is one service better than the other for rv ing.

That depends on your own "wants", Papa. Dish offers a non-contract pay-as-you-go service that's ideal for part-timers that don't have Dish at home. Dish also makes changing the local stations to your current location quite easy. On the other hand, DirecTV may have sports packages that you want that Dish does not carry.  Dish has two sets of satellites, called the eastern and western arcs, giving you more dish aiming options on heavily treed campsites. DirecTV has a single set of satellites.

Then the program packages would be pretty similar for both. Dish is usually the better choice for part-timers and full-timers that move around frequently. Especially if you want the local stations at each location without depending on OTA reception.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anewvisionllc
Back
Top Bottom