Tankless Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from what I'm reading they have made significant improvements on these since 2015 and, sitting out here at a campground with a water heater not working, now I really have to make up my mind which way to go, good thing there's showers here

Too little pressure and the heater will not work.
And 95% of max is too little. It has to be on full to work at all and with 40 psi or more in.
from what I'm reading they have made significant improvements on these since 2015 and, sitting out here at a campground with a water heater not working, now I really have to make up my mind which way to go, good thing there's showers here
That is not saying much! My 2022 RV tankless is barely useable. Sometimes not useable at all, if the water pressure is just a little low.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Don, why is it barely or not working at all? I'm trying to do all my homework up front. If I need to buy a new pump or a accumulator tank for the in house water tank then, I will to keep from weak water pressure like this camp ground has.

In addition to pressure and flow rate, the degree of temperature rise/Delta is important. For instance if a tankless WH has a delta of 40° and incoming water is 40°, the hottest water reached will be 80°, which some folks consider a cold shower.

Don, why is it barely or not working at all? I'm trying to do all my homework up front. If I need to buy a new pump or a accumulator tank for the in house water tank then, I will to keep from weak water pressure like this camp ground has.
Ask the idiots who decided to use tankless water heaters in RVs. Very stupid idea.

See my thread here.

-Don- NV City, CA (motorcycle ride)

So Don, is everyone stupid who doesn't agree with you or what about those who do have good success once they figure how to make them work? I am learning there are those, I am conversing with one who has been using the Furrion for quite some time now and in colder temps with low water pressure without a hiccup

I am conversing with one who has been using the Furrion for quite some time now and in colder temps with low water pressure without a hiccup
Perhaps some work a lot better than others. I am only basing my opinion on the FACTS of how the tankless water heater in my 2022 Class A works.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Maybe you should state some more accurate facts like the brand you had and conditions? That would help people make a good decision that they might not regret. Like I said I'm learning that one person that commented here has been using the Furrion model for a while with low water pressure and is able to run it at the 124 degree setting and mix in cold even using it at 17 degrees F weather outside, I'd say that's working like a water heater should. I've never owned one in a house let alone in our MH so I'm at the mercy of others and we all know when something hasn't worked for us can make be together too bias on a product. Oh well, happy camping

Maybe you should state some more accurate facts like the brand you had and conditions?
That is mentioned in the message I linked to in message number 26, but here it is again:

Girard Tankless RV Water Heater - GSWH-2/2GWHAM​

new222_1024x.png

Strange because because we have both commented on another thread where he is happy with the Girard he purchased recently, I guess this is really a hit or miss thing QC wise, shouldn't be. The reviews on e=trailer with the Furrion are great for the most part. Well I guess I'll fix my stripped bolt threads in my Atwood 6 gallon and upgrade my water pump for now till I make up my mind on the tankless.

well, I have bought a new...............tank water heater. I went with the Suburban Advantage 6 gallon lp/electric that is the Atwood replacement, looks like it will slide right in and can use my door which is newer. It has 10K btu which is a little more than the original 8800 and, they claim the electric element is better than the original 1440 watt one. Also upgraded to a Shurflo 4048 4gpm pump to replace my 2088 2.8 gpm, strange thing my old pump would shut off at 55psi also. On the new pump right out of the box it would build the pressure to 55psi but, wouldn't shut off so, had to adjust both the pressure and bypass valves to get it right, you'd think a 250 dollar pump out of the box should be spot on. On the tankless heaters, I have talked to different dealers that I trust who say don't get one other than a Truma and all the new Jayco's come with Furrions, no choice. I thought if I can't turn the water up to the highest temp and mix in cold water I don't want to bother with changing the temp on the controller for each individual persons liking

who say don't get one other than a Truma
Which RVs come with the Truma tankless water heater? I see it costs around three times as much as mine. And if it works as well as my home one did when I lived in SSF, I would be willing to pay twice as much as Truma's price to get one in my 2022 Class A.

Nice to know they designed at least one tankless for RVs that people are happy with.

I wonder what the difference in the design is, when compared to my Girard crappy water heater.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I don't know if any rv comes with the Truma, they were saying this is the one that's been proven. You can't install yourself and any service has to be done by a certified dealer, you will pay 3 times as much too. 1629.00 for the standard model plus 153.00 for the door and 175.00 per hour labor to install. I would sure want to know someone personally that used one first hand before I would pay that.

I am pleased I didn't go with the tankless after all, this direct dometic replacement water heater works just fine, can take a normal shower with the electric and gas mode on no problem, even can shave too. My original had so much build up in it maybe that's why it struggled plus the element was burned out and it had a less btu burner and my newer dometic door fit correctly. Maybe someday they'll get the tankless heater where all brands work as they should no mater what flow and what pressure is coming in

Ask the idiots who decided to use tankless water heaters in RVs. Very stupid idea.
There, meant the idiots who designed the RVs. I think I should clear that up.

Or else it makes me an idiot, as I have only used the tankless in my 2022 motorhome:). And almost every time I do, I wish it were not a tankless. But I think some of the tankless water heaters in RVs work a lot better than others. On a scale for 1 to ten, ten being the best, I would rate mine as a 2. I would rate it as a "1" but I can usually get by with it. But with the slightest issue, such as water PSI 1 or two psi below normal, or if the hot water is not on full, it will not work at all. Or if it is too cold outside. A real piece of junk, IMAO.

BTW, how much hassle is it for me to change it to a tanked? I think my RV can come with either, but my 2022 motorhome has every option available. But this is the one option I wish it did NOT have.

-Don- Reno, NV

Maybe someday they'll get the tankless heater where all brands work as they should no mater what flow and what pressure is coming in
If that were possible to fix, I think they would have done it by now. RV tankless have been used for years. The only thing I do not understand is why they have not given up on installing them in RVs yet. At least the model I have, I cannot speak for the others, but I have my doubts if any of them can work as well as a cheap tanked RV water heater-especially when conditions are not perfect.

-Don- Reno, NV

In addition to pressure and flow rate, the degree of temperature rise/Delta is important. For instance if a tankless WH has a delta of 40° and incoming water is 40°, the hottest water reached will be 80°, which some folks consider a cold shower.

I have a tankless in my house. Yes, there is a maximum temperature rise. Mine is 80 degrees. I do have flame adjustment and water flow adjustment to compensate for incoming water temps. Most newer ones do this automatically. As far as wasting water, a conventional water heater comes on even when no water is being used when the tank temp drops, like during the night. With the tankless, we can do laundry and take showers showers and never have to wait for the water heater to reheat the water.

Back
Top Bottom