temperature monitor for pets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winona

Does anyone know of or use a device to monitor the temperature inside your rv when you leave your pet? 

Look in the "RVing with pets" section. There is lengthy discussion of various things people are using.

Trane has a home thermostat that lets you monitor the temperature in your home as well as set it with a smart phone app. I'm sure there is a thermostat for an rv that works the same. You might check and see if their thermostat work on yours.

When I was in K-9 we had a sensor on the car that would set off an alarm if the car and/or air conditioner failed.  That was almost 20 years ago.  Surely by now there is one that would send an alert to your cell phone.

Winona,

We had the same concern leaving our dogs in the coach while we were away on a hot day.
We ended up using a Canary All-in-One Home Security Device with a wireless hotspot.  It sends temperature, humidity & air quality alerts to your phone if one of the settings you set is exceeded.  It also gives us the look-in live if we want via the HD camera.  It uses very little data on your plan... unless you use the video option a lot.  As an added benefit it's a security system as well when we're not on board.
The other system I looked at was the MarCELL 500 Cellular monitoring system.  It seemed to be a great option if wi-fi isn't available as it uses cellular and is self contained.  The downside is that it requires a small monthly cellular charge.

Hope that helps!

Buckeye4692002 said:
Winona,

We had the same concern leaving our dogs in the coach while we were away on a hot day.
We ended up using a Canary All-in-One Home Security Device with a wireless hotspot.  It sends temperature, humidity & air quality alerts to your phone if one of the settings you set is exceeded.  It also gives us the look-in live if we want via the HD camera.  It uses very little data on your plan... unless you use the video option a lot.  As an added benefit it's a security system as well when we're not on board.
The other system I looked at was the MarCELL 500 Cellular monitoring system.  It seemed to be a great option if wi-fi isn't available as it uses cellular and is self contained.  The downside is that it requires a small monthly cellular charge.

Hope that helps!

J -- Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm trying to figure out an easy reliable way to monitor the temperature so am looking into your ideas.

I worried about leaving my pets in the camper while away fishing or whatever. Just tried out the smart 4 home temperature monitor and was very pleased with the results.

I usually use a hot spot from straight talk for e-mail and such. 1GB is only 15 bucks and is plenty for my week long fishing trips. The smart 4 home can be easily configured to send an e-mail to my smarter-than-me phone immediately when the temperature parameters I set are exceeded.
While at home I gave the system several scenarios such as too hot at 81 degrees F.  E-mail was received notifying me of the issue after I shut off the AC. I did this several times to make sure the controller was working as expected. During the trip I set the notifications to every 15 minutes for the actual temperature readings. Each was received on my phone, by the second day I changed the notifications to hourly then to every 4 hours as I was very trusting of the system.

Since the box has provisions for a second temp probe I guess you could set the refrig temp and alert if something happened with it.

Bottom line I am happy with the hot spot from walmart and the smart 4 house controller. Dog and cat did not seem to  care at all.
http://smart4house.net/en/products/temperature-sensor#content-products-menu

Cheers

Not sure if you have an Onan genset in your rig but if so you can get the auto start feature. It will automatically start your genset if your batteries reach a low limit set point or if the inside of the coach reaches a high limit temp set point. It starts the genset and then the AC comes on if the rv park losses power etc. There are many programming options and it requires no outside intervention such as internet or data plans. Just an fyi.

That is an excellent idea. However in the past my AC went out on a TT. luck was we returned before the furry babies had problems. I think I will add the auto start on my MH just as a safety.

Thanks,
Gadget Guru

Just  for grins the following is a print out of yesterday temperature readings:

Attachments

• MH TEMP.jpg
    MH TEMP.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member