tent rooms in quartzsite ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff Cousins said:
John,  me thinks that was a strong 20 MPH!! ;D

Well,,, I agree, as I said, felt faster than that to me, Or, in other words, I'm told, I don't believe

For one thing spot winds can be quite a bit higher than reported winds (Or lower for that matter)

Had a dust devil come by me at Moses Lake last month while I was walking that took off a deployed awning seconds after it hit me.  The winds were not that strong at that time.

For those who don't know a Dust Devil is a very little "Baby" phenomona. 

And if you'd like to know what it is called when it grows up check the definition of TORNADO

Same thing, but a whole lot larger.

Also for those who don't know Tornados are the most violent of storms, Hurricanes do more damage but that's because they are so hugh,  Tornados are a lot smaller than hurricanes but typically much more violent (higher wind speeds)

Best place to be when one hits...... ELSEWHERE (The official correct answer is a shelter outside the storm area)

All this brings me to tell you about my experiences getting our A&E 9000 manual awning replaced with a new A&E Electric Weather Pro with a wind sensor (To avoid these problems-I thought!)

The last week of August I had a new Weather Pro installed at Camping World in Bolingbrook, IL. The fabric sagged badly and CW agreed it should be replaced, called Dometic and after 4 hours got them them to agree to replace the fabric. I went back to where we were parked visiting our kids and waited a week for the new fabric to arrive.

The weather turned the next day and as soon as it started to rain the awning retracted and would not extend. After experimenting for awhile I discovered that the NEW wind sensing system Dometic developed does not sense wind (pressure or motion) it senses temperature variation on what appears to be an infrared sensor. Well, when it rains........

A week later I returned to CW (Who has been exemplary throughout this whole ordeal) and had a new  fabric insert and wind sensor installed. The fabric still sages and the sensor still retracted the awning if it got wet, and by wet I mean taking a Windex bottle and spraying mist above the sensor for 30 seconds.

CW spent the morning talking to Dometic (As did I!!) and another fabric was shipped to Spartanburg, SC which was on our route south. Yesterday that fabric was replaced for the third time and it still sags. I have been walking up to everyone I see with a Weather Pro and checking out their experience and what I gather is two fold. There are two styles of awning: the standard which I have extends almost horizontally out from the coach to clear a right side forward slide (which we do not have). The basement model extends down from the coach at about a 30 degree angle which provides more shade. We chose the standard to have a view out our windows but the horizontal position of the fabric seems to create a lot more sagging than the basement version. Those with the sloped awning do not seem to have the sagging (and water collection) issues.

Camping World in Spartanburg has reccommend to Dometic to replace the roller assembly and I have asked they also replace the arm hardware to make it a sloped awning and hopefully when CW Fort Meyers install number 4 it will be resolved. If not it is coming off which I do not want to do because the fabric matches the rest of our coach's door and window awnings.

I have the "Basement" version of that awning and as an awning it works great, the auto retract feature is a pain though.

You can disable it with a switch on the controller but then you have to remember to retract it when it's windy or may be

Caliche is extremely hard and prevalent in Arizona's deserts (lived with it 40+ years, here and there). I've seen a fair number of exhibitors at art and craft shows, for example, use everything from water bottles to buckets to small drums filled with concrete with a hook or eyelet in it. Tie things down to that, usually one at each corner. But I wouldn't bet the farm that a good desert wind or a dust devil couldn't rip it up. The desert does get very windy. Sorta nice on a hot day, though, if you're not getting sandblasted into the bargain! Anyway, per Wikipedia:

>>>>>"Caliche is a hardened deposit of calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate cements together other materials, including gravel, sand, clay, and silt. It is found in aridisol and mollisol soil orders. Caliche occurs worldwide, generally in arid or semi-arid regions, including in central and western Australia, in the Kalahari Desert, and in the High Plains of the western USA. Caliche is also known as hardpan, calcrete, kankar (in India), or duricrust. The term caliche is Spanish and is originally from the Latin calx, meaning lime.

"Caliche is generally light colored but can range from white to light pink to reddish-brown, depending on the impurities present. It is generally found on or near the surface, but it can be found in deeper subsoil deposits as well. The layers can vary from a few inches to feet thick, and multiple layers can exist in a single location."  <<<<<

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom