Testing Needed When Using Fleetguard ES Compleat EL Coolant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hugh37

Two years ago I flushed my coolant system and filled with Fleetguard ES Compleat Extended Life Coolant, mixed 50/50 with distilled water. Is it necessary to periodically test with strips or a  refractometer? Or do I merely add the same coolant if low? Would appreciate a simple answer, if there is one. Over time I've read much on this forum pertaining to the subject, BUT now it's a bit fuzzy to me. Thanks for any help.

2007 Honda CRV Tow

Thanks, Dan.  SO very confusing to the "average" of us!  What would ADD when the level is low...the same
product, or the Extend product?  Reply, if you will, please.  Thanks, Larry

Best to top off with the same stuff, at least the same type if not same brand. ES Compleat is an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) type coolant and several leading manufacturers offer it. All the OAT brands recommend using an Extender product after three years or 300k miles. Since motorhomes are typically light duty usage, you can probably go beyond the three years but I would hesitate to wait the full 300k miles - that's likely to be 30+ years!

You can buy a 50/50 Premixed OAT product such as Peak Final Charge for convenience in adding coolant. I've heard that Old World Industries (manufacturer of the Peak brand) is also the maker of ES Compleat for Cummins Filtration, but don't know that for a fact.

CunnimsFiltration ES Compleat comes in multiple formulations:
ES Compleat EG (either 50/50 or 60/40 mix) Rated life 150,000 miles
ES Compleat PG (either 50/50 or 60/40 mix) Rated life 150,000 miles
ES Compleat OAT (EG) Rated Life 300,000 miles
ES Compleat Glycerin Rated life 150,000 miles

Thanks for listing those, Ken. I've obviously fallen behind the times on the Cummins coolant product line. Only used to be one "ES Compleat" and now there is a bunch! Based on the description on the Cummins web page, I think that the previous "EX Compleat Extended Life" is what is now called "ES Compleat OAT".

ELC?s where to be a life time coolant that was meant to be recycled (cleaned and additive package replenished) So since most shops or DYI'ers don?t have a recycling machine, Based on the coolants MFG recommended time frame drain and refill. ELC?s are the best thing to happen to Diesels no need for SCA?s or DCA additive or testing. If you have a coolant filter get the empty ones.

There are Different ELC, Hybrid OAT and OAT. Hybrid was meant to be compatible with all coolants and has less additives than OAT. Look for OAT if you doing a complete drain and fill and require less maintains. If you top off with Hybrid on top of ethylene glycol coolant you still need to test and add SCA?c and DCA?s for diesels

Side note after reading the OP again- Fleetguard ES require testing and additives.

When I work for Navistar this was there recommended coolest for new and old engines http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/anti-freeze.html

another good read from cat http://louisianacat.com/system/resources/BAhbBlsHOgZmSSInMjAxMi8xMC8zMC8xOC8xNS80MS83NjcvZWxjZmFxLnBkZgY6BkVU/elcfaq.pdf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom