Testing New Multimeter-What to Measure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:

If you can remember the names of the books, please post.  There are a few things I'd like to be able to do.  But I'm trying to avoid being shocked into the afterlife as I do them.  :eek:

Gary, ask one of your nearby instructors which book they are using/ You may even be able to find a used one in a book store because the basics don't change but new ways of doing things does. I retired in 2002 from teaching and I know they have updated the textbooks since then. One of the current students showed me a new textbook the other day which is just an updated version of the old book. I just got out of the hospital but will ask one of the current instructors when I can drive again. (My knee gave out)

kdbgoat said:
Linda, I owe you a very big apology.

Kdbgoat -- Nah, not necessary at all, but you are gracious and kind to think so.  I just figured you may have mis-read my inquiry.  All I was after was ideas of some things to measure so I could make sure the meter was working and would not need returning.  I did read the owners manual so I knew how to operate the meter, just not what to measure to see if it worked.  Probably a fine distinction that I didn't make clear in my post.  And you did help-you said not to try to measure amps in my household outlet, so I didn't and now I understand why!  While I do understand the physics of electricity and dif between amps, volts, ohms, conductors, insulators, etc., I've just not had need to ever measure those things.  Again, something I probably didn't make clear.

I did also pop for the $3.50 book Molaker posted and it IS really basic-took me all of an hour to read it, but that's okay because it drove home a few more points and I did learn 2 new things from it ;).  I won't be re-building  a classic car engine or re-wiring my RV,  but I think, (after having read a hundred posts here when some electrical unit of some kind went on the fritz, the advice usually began with using a multimeter to check for voltage, or continuity, or an open circuit, etc) that having a meter and being familiar with it might be worthwhile.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness, anyway. Hope all is well.

Linda

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom