The Desert Senora Museum, Saguaro NP, the Gilbert Ray CG & the Ocotillo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Maxwell

Moderator Emeritus
Today, Estelle and I toured part of the Desert Senora Museum 14 miles west of Tucson. It is not to be missed! This, the Henry Dorly in Omaha and the San Diego Zoo are my top three in the USA.

http://desertmuseum.org/

If you get there when it opens and stay until it closes you might cover every area; however, two days are needed to do it justice. This museum-zoo-botanical park is fully handicapped accessible and the scooter chairs can get to every exhibit on pavement and perhaps most of the trails as well.

Thanks to a report by Jerry & Ardra, I knew about the wonderful Ocotillo Restaurant in the east /Aviary section of the zoo-museum. It is everything they described: elegant setting with whit tablecloths, starched napkins, excellent service. a great menu and outstanding food. We shared the spinach salad after the bread course of a fresh hot bread course with cilantro-pistachio pesto, Exquisite! The main course we shared was the pumpkin crusted chicken breast with blue corn and assorted vegetables. The chicken was very soft and succulent and each vegetable including the asparagus which had a slight crust as well were perfectly prepared. The shared Napoleon Prickly Pear topped desert was the crowing taste filled treat. This was not good food, This was GREAT CUISINE!  ;)

Attn: Elkhart HS Class of '59ers, Terri, our very helpful server was raised in Mottville, just north of Bristol IN in MI, and we had much to talk about since I had been pastor at St. John of the Cross Episcopal Church in Bristol in the early '70's. We both knew the Dalrymples, etc. . . It's a Small World After All.

The Saguaro National Park Visitor Center is worth a stop and the staff is very friendly. My America the Beautiful Pass got us in for free. Trails and pull outs are everywhere. http://www.nps.gov/sagu/index.htm

On the way out we drove into and checked out the Gilbert Ray Campground, part of the Pima County Park System between the Museum and Old Tucson: http://www.pima.gov/nrpr/camping/index.htm
I think you would love to stay there: $20 per night, elec, and dump station, 7 day limit. We will stay there. Dogs must be on leash. Come in from the south on Kinny Road off the Ajo Hy and enjoy the Senora desert!

Bob,
Please tell Estelle that your  mechanical troubles are not part of  an every day RV experience. But I am glad you got to see the Desert Senoran  Museum and Restaurant .  Now on my list.
Betty

Sounds like a great experience, we love the desert. We visited the Living Desert in Palm Springs, these places are really something to see.

Bob, one of the best places we have ever been to.  Went twice in 2011.  i Great photographic opportunities, don't miss the birds of prey freeflight!

Where else can you get this close to a mountain lion?  Thru the glass behind the cave!

Attachments

• 20111201-IMG_9390.jpg
    20111201-IMG_9390.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 11
Don't forget you can buy a Tucson Attractions Passport for $18 that gets you a bunch of 2 for 1 admissions, including the Desert Sonora Museum.

Wendy

Greetings Everyone,

We just visited the Desert Museum Last September. It is most definitely a great place to visit and highly recommended as Bob said. Best time to visit is not when we went or in the summer as it is way too hot. Winter months are perfect. Still take liquids with you. There is a fair amount of walking to see the various areas. Two days sounds like a good idea to me as we only visited the areas that be wanted to really see. Another day and we could have taken in more and perhaps enjoyed the first day better.

Tucson is a great travel location and many things to see and do. The Air Force Museum with all the vintage planes is a must see also!!!

CamperAL

Bob Maxwell said:
Wendy, where did you get that Tucson Passport?

We bought it in the gift shop at the Sonora Desert Museum. They sell it at all the places where you can use it or online. It's also good at the Pima Air Museum, Tubac, and a bunch of other places. You can find out more about it here.

Wendy

Sonora Desert Museum

Actually you might find it under the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum which is what our map calls it.  In practice most of us call it the Sonoran desert museum.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom