The future of RVs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is partly experience and partly a guess. But I’m thinking something like an electric Jeep would probably have 50 to 75 percent more range off road than on. EV’s get much better range at slow speed. I know we can easily exceed the EPA rating of 568 kilometres of our car if we are just chortling up and down our little valley at 60 kmh. Speed limits are slow here. I suspect if we were doing trail speeds of 30 kmh our car would probably get more than 700 or 800 kmh of range.

Just a guess. Don’t really know.
Not likely. Have you ever been on a Jeep trail? There's much, much more rolling resistance than on pavement of any kind. You're getting better range at slower speeds because you're cutting wind resistance while still on roadways with low rolling resistance. Jeep trails don't work that way,

I wouldn't want to run out of juice way out in the boonies on a 4 wheel only Jeep trail. Or even a desolate highway. A recharge doesn't come in a gas can.

Not likely. Have you ever been on a Jeep trail? There's much, much more rolling resistance than on pavement of any kind. You're getting better range at slower speeds because you're cutting wind resistance while still on roadways with low rolling resistance. Jeep trails don't work that way,

Yah. That makes sense. Never thought of the rolling resistance. Oh well. I learn something everyday...well most days. :).

I wouldn't want to run out of juice way out in the boonies on a 4 wheel only Jeep trail. Or even a desolate highway. A recharge doesn't come in a gas can.

Running out of juice on the highway is unlikely unless one ignores the software and instrumentation. I’m thinking the software is probably not well geared to the off road stuff though. Maybe that will change with the upcoming EV half tons and SUV’s like the Rivian etc.

cheers.

ICE cars also have software and instrumentation to keep from running out of juice. Anytime I drive my wife and daughters cars I barely make it to a gas station. Lifting the handle on a gas pump is no more work than plugging in an electric cord. Now when an EV can snake the cord out and plug itself into the wall maybe it would get charged overnight. But it would also have to retract automatically in the morning or they'd be dragging the cord down the street.
1625744156912.png

I don't see EVs being a practical TOAD until they can be charged from the RV.

What voltages are required to charge one of these things anyway?

It would be impractical for me to tow to a site, unhook and then have to go looking for a charge. Then waiting for a charge etc. etc. Hybrids would work. I'd love to see an off-road small (Like CJ5) type hybrid vehicle.

Are EVs flat towable? How about dolly towable and the rears run the toad charger while on tow?

Lots of ideas but nothing on the horizon that would change my world, I don't think.

ICE cars also have software and instrumentation to keep from running out of juice. Anytime I drive my wife and daughters cars I barely make it to a gas station. Lifting the handle on a gas pump is no more work than plugging in an electric cord. Now when an EV can snake the cord out and plug itself into the wall maybe it would get charged overnight. But it would also have to retract automatically in the morning or they'd be dragging the cord down the street.
View attachment 147387

Lol. I hear ya. I am the only plugger inner in our household. But she makes me breakfast so it’s a fair trade off.

An EV can’t move as long as it is connected to a charger so no worries if driving off connected.

This video is of a prototype for self inserting charge robot. Elon recommends not bending over around it. :).

I don't see EVs being a practical TOAD until they can be charged from the RV.

What voltages are required to charge one of these things anyway?

It would be impractical for me to tow to a site, unhook and then have to go looking for a charge. Then waiting for a charge etc. etc. Hybrids would work. I'd love to see an off-road small (Like CJ5) type hybrid vehicle.

Are EVs flat towable? How about dolly towable and the rears run the toad charger while on tow?

Lots of ideas but nothing on the horizon that would change my world, I don't think.

Ill take a stab at a few of your questions.

Voltage required is a 120 volt 15 amp circuit. It will charge faster if you have a 240 volt 40 amp circuit.

The charge unit that comes with the car essentially plugs into any 120 or 240 volt receptacle using the correct adapter.

We towed an EV on a trailer for 5 years. It was never an issue to find chargers as the cars software or a phone app knows where they are. Or just charge at the site.

No EV I know about can be towed four down...or at least with the blessing of the manufacturer. (People have done it).

Nissan leafs can be towed on a Dolly as they are front wheel drive. We almost went that route.

So in theory one could rig up 110 off the RV generator and charge underway. Interesting idea.

Nissan Leaf could be a practical TOAD for folks not needing off road capability. I suspect most don't "need" that but are throwing dust clouds in the air to be argumentative.

Again it's personal choice. I'd rather pull my bike or my convertible MGB for the fun factor...

So in theory one could rig up 110 off the RV generator and charge underway. Interesting idea.

Nissan Leaf could be a practical TOAD for folks not needing off road capability. I suspect most don't "need" that but are throwing dust clouds in the air to be argumentative.

Again it's personal choice. I'd rather pull my bike or my convertible MGB for the fun factor...

Yah I suppose. I mean technically you could charge off your inverter at 120 volts at as low as 5 amps. It would be a very slow charge though. If it was really important to arrive with a full battery and you didn’t have a chance to charge before you hit the road you could just crank up the genny and charge at a much higher rate. Honestly though, we never even tried that. Just charge it overnight the day before you leave. Problem solved.

I was thinking more the full-timer who is on the road for an extended time. My wife and I are planning some 4-6 month trips when we get settled.

Yah I get that. But still, we travelled for months at a time and charging was never an issue. Depends where you are I suppose but EV charging and chargers are becoming quite ubiquitous. And like I say, we would from time to time just top up overnight at our site just using the 120 plug. I suppose if you were dry camping you could just run the genny although I dont think we ever did that.

I lived in Cambridge, England from 2010-2015 and did not find what you are saying to be the case. Folks I knew used their vehicles for short trips. Other longer trips they either took the train or flew. When we would go to Scotland, Wales or Belgium our British friends would ask us why we were driving. I told them in the states folks might drive two hours just to go out to dinner.
Hey Gator … you are spot on for Britain … Germans have a love affair their cars however … Brits do not love ❤️ their cars and have a more practical view on transportation …

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom