The Great Toilet Debate...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarDancer

I had a problem with my toilet a couple of months after I hit the road.  There was a clog immediately below the toilet, in the two 90-degree turns.  I'm told that is the configuration in most 5th wheels, and it's "stupid."  I spent hundreds to unclog it, had a couple of clueless RV "techs" and finally found one who knew what he was doing.  One of the idiots was snaking the other side of the RV where you hook the hose up.  Duh... :-\

So now I have a plastic bag in which I dispose of my toilet paper but only the number one stuff.  My neighbors put ALL of their toilet paper in a plastic bag and throw it away a couple times a day.  Sorry, I think that's just overkill and really don't want to deal with "poopy" paper.  I deal with enough of that just picking up after my three little doggies. 

Does anyone else on this forum use the plastic bags to dispose of their paper?  If so, both or only one? 

While I'm on this shitty subject...any suggestions on controlling the odor that permeates my RV by about the 5th day after the tank dump?  I'm parked in Nevada in the desert so have to dump more often than when it's cooler.  My neighbor uses "Odorless" and gave me some.  Still had that darn odor after using it three times.  So much for "Odorless." 

Thanks for any comments!
Cathy  ;)

My first question is "are you using single ply toilet paper"? Here is a quick test. Take two sheets and place in on a mason jar that is half full of water. Cap it and shake it for five seconds. Does it break up into small pieces? If yes then it is ok. Not sure where to go after  that other than complain to the manufacturer.

I can't imagine anyone storing their poop paper and then disposing it at the end of the day. These systems are designed to hold paper providing you use the correct paper. Make sure you use plenty of water when flushing and don't keep your drain valves open all the time. Only open them when the tanks are full or nearly full.  If you could have looked into your tank, you may have found a huge pyramid of solid s__t directly under your intake pipe coming from the toilet. I had the same issue with a used 5th wheel I purchased last year. The original owners were seasonal at a campground and I'm thinking that they left the tank valve open while they were camping. All this did was drain the liquids but the solids never had a chance to drain.  I noticed it for the first time when the toilet backed up at 2:00 in the morning while camping and the only way I could unblock it was by using a toilet plunger but it only last a couple of days when it backed up again.  It took a long time to finally get the tank cleaned and the pyramid removed.  As far as the smell, have you ever heard of or tried the Geo Method. I'm just trying it right now. It uses water softener combined with powdered soap and bleach to keep your tanks clean and clean smelling. I read the entire write-up about it and it makes a lot of sense. Just Google "Geo Method" and you should get it.

Cathy

You have a poop pyramid in your black tank. You should never have an odor and you should have no problem putting toilet paper into the toilet. You need to go to Walmart (or order from Amazon) and buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Flexible-Swivel-Shutoff/dp/B0006IX7YC/ref=pd_sim_auto_32

It also helps to have a clear sewer pipe:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39572-Clear-Sewer-Adapter/dp/B00192KZQ2/ref=pd_sim_auto_4

Then spend an hour or so blasting the inside of your black tank with the wand and watch the output. When everything runs clear for 15 minutes then the poop pyramid will be gone.

And as for tank odor....I've had great luck dropping a dishwasher pod in the bowel every so often [no schedule just when I remember] and it works for me..

George

There are several possibilities for the smell problem, and a couple for the clogging issue.

A residual smell can come from the gray tank as well as the black - both can get stinky and the gray is actually more likely to leak odors back into the interior because of the several drain traps and something called an "air admittance valve" that will be under each sink. See if your nose can trace the odor to either sink area. You will find a vertical tube with a vented cap on the top under the galley and bath sinks. The cap has a rubber flapper that is supposed to let air enter when the water runs down the drain pipe, and then spring back closed after. If it doesn't close tightly, gray tank odors slowly filter back inside. You can buy replacement air admittance valves in most any place that has plumbing supplies - they are standard plumbing items and the same as used in houses.  Also make sure that each sink/shower drain trap has water in it. After traveling, or if a sink is unused for awhile, the water in the P-trap below the drain can dry out and let odors filter back up the drain. Just run some water into each drain to make sure the trap is full of water.

Black tank odors may be coming from a defective seal around the floor, where the commode connects to the piping. It's not common, but can happen. Since you say it takes days for the odor to build up, I'm thinking it is something small and slow. If the odor comes straight up the waste pipe, it usually hits full and fast after flushing, rather than being a lingering smell.

Another thing that people sometimes mistake for black tank odor is smelly hot water. Once in awhile a micoibe gets into the water heater and thrives there, leaving a sort-of rotten egg odor in the water. It's harmless but noxious. Try running the hot water awhile and see if you can detect any increase in the odor. A simple sanitizing of the water heater and fresh water system will cure that (instructions in the Forum Library).

The clog can be tougher, since you apparently have bends in the drain piping. I seriously doubt if there are any 90 degree bends, but a one or two 45 degree bends have become common and these do make it easy to get clogs. Even when using TP that dissolves well, as per Selah's comment. You can use single or even double-ply paper, but try to avoid brands that are quilted, perfumed or colored. All of those are tougher papers that do not dissolve as easily as plain white paper. Also use "septic safe' brands, which generally dissolve well. To help avoid clogs, flush well and try to flush only small amounts of paper per flush. Flush the TP in multiple stages if need be (to reduce the amount that has to pass around the bends at each flush) and use plenty of water at each flush. However, once the clog starts to form, additional water usually doesn't help. Then its time to get out the drain snake, or a clog digester product (if you can afford to wait for it to work!). Standard toilet plungers generally are NOT effective on an RV toilet, but it's always worth a try Likewise, standard toilet augers doesn't work well, because it has a rigid 90 degree bend designed for residential toilets. Try to find a snake that is flexible for its entire length, yet fairly stiff. Sometimes one of the flexible wands for tank rinsing  will work to cut the clog with a jet of water.

I have had a bit of an "Aroma" issue lately.. however I know for a fact it's the gray tank.

You see, it is strongest in places where the black lines are not.

I had a TP (not poop) pyramid twice: once when I was emptying my black tank too often and the second was when I had my daughter-in-law, niece, and several young female children staying with me and I did not adequately warn them about using too much TP.  They were also trying to not use much water, which made it worse.  Actually, this second time, the toilet was pretty much just full of toilet paper.  Normally, I prefer to use a lot of TP and put most of it in a plastic bag, but not the poop paper, as you asked about.

Both times I got rid of it by adding a lot of water over several days and driving around, plus using my external black tank flush.  It is hard to add a lot of water when the toilet already is full of other stuff, so I had to just keep doing it over several days.  I had to learn NO DUMPING unless tank was 3/4 full!  This was also hard mentally because I kept trying to keep the tank "clean."  And I added no TP until I got the clog broken up. 

Adding plenty of water means you need to stand on that flush pedal while counting to 10 or 20 each time you use it.  Driving around also helps slosh things around.  My black tank is 30 gallons, so I should go two to three weeks without dumping, and it should fill up easily in that time period.  If you are only filling your tank to a third or half in that time, you are not adding enough water.  I also periodically dump nice sudsy dishwater in the toilet to add more water. 

Anyway, it is going to take some time to get things cleared up before you can start adding toilet paper and maintaining it as usual. 

I'm not sure how effective this is because I have not tried it yet but here it is.

I had another RV owner tell me that he will put a box of Baking Soda and two bags of ice cubes down the toilet just before he pulled off.  During the drive to the dump station the ice and Baking Soda would "slosh" around cleaning the walls of the tank and thus make "things" come out easier when dumping.  As I stated before I am not sure if this works but there it is.

If anyone else has tried this please let me know how it works.

The ice cube trick works for removing the buildup of toilet paper on the walls and the sensors. Ice cubes will not remove a poop pyramid unless it is the smallest poop pyramid ever. The ice cubes will melt to fast to do any real damage to a poop pyramid. Lots of water pressure works best.

When we first started to RV, we had a blocked toilet.  I discovered that the problem was a paper clog, at that time we decided to not put anything in the black tank other than human waste and soapy dish water. That was 10 years ago and we have not had a problem.  I'm sure  wrapping  my used toilet paper in plastic is better than dealing  with a blocked black tank.  I understand that if you have not had a problem,  perhaps you may think that I'm excessive but I think a clogged black tank is the nastiest problem to deal with in this wonderful life we have chosen for ourselves.  Paul

Use more water and less paper when flushing. 
These RVs are designed so you do not have to store used toilet paper.
Waste and paper should go down the toilet and get to the black tank if there is enough water to move it.

I believe a lot of RV Toilet problems are the result of using too little water.  One needs to keep the contents wet so it breaks up easily.

Another factor is if the RV moves or not. I know that full timers that stay in one place tend to have more issues with the black tank than a weekend warrior that travels. I know the fact you need plenty of water in the black tank but the sloshing action helps with breaking down the solid waste too. Like myself I've never had a odor problem nor solid problem clogging black tank. I make sure to fill and dump a few times to clear the tanks (both black and gray) of solid materials.

Gary RV Roamer said:
The clog can be tougher, since you apparently have bends in the drain piping. I seriously doubt if there are any 90 degree bends, but a one or two 45 degree bends have become common and these do make it easy to get clogs. Even when using TP that dissolves well, as per Selah's comment. You can use single or even double-ply paper, but try to avoid brands that are quilted, perfumed or colored. All of those are tougher papers that do not dissolve as easily as plain white paper. Also use "septic safe' brands, which generally dissolve well. To help avoid clogs, flush well and try to flush only small amounts of paper per flush. Flush the TP in multiple stages if need be (to reduce the amount that has to pass around the bends at each flush) and use plenty of water at each flush. However, once the clog starts to form, additional water usually doesn't help. Then its time to get out the drain snake, or a clog digester product (if you can afford to wait for it to work!). Standard toilet plungers generally are NOT effective on an RV toilet, but it's always worth a try Likewise, standard toilet augers doesn't work well, because it has a rigid 90 degree bend designed for residential toilets. Try to find a snake that is flexible for its entire length, yet fairly stiff. Sometimes one of the flexible wands for tank rinsing  will work to cut the clog with a jet of water.
Right...They are 45 degree bends...  I screwed up on that one.

Selah said:
My first question is "are you using single ply toilet paper"? Here is a quick test. Take two sheets and place in on a mason jar that is half full of water. Cap it and shake it for five seconds. Does it break up into small pieces? If yes then it is ok. Not sure where to go after  that other than complain to the manufacturer.
I use Scott's or their generic TP, Earth Essentials.  Actually, like the generic better than the Scott's.  I buy this at CVS.  (Waiting for the sale!) 

SeilerBird said:
Cathy

You have a poop pyramid in your black tank. You should never have an odor and you should have no problem putting toilet paper into the toilet. You need to go to Walmart (or order from Amazon) and buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40074-Flexible-Swivel-Shutoff/dp/B0006IX7YC/ref=pd_sim_auto_32

It also helps to have a clear sewer pipe:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39572-Clear-Sewer-Adapter/dp/B00192KZQ2/ref=pd_sim_auto_4

Then spend an hour or so blasting the inside of your black tank with the wand and watch the output. When everything runs clear for 15 minutes then the poop pyramid will be gone.
Well...if I have a "poop pyramid," why doesn't it smell all the time?  The odor only starts on about the 5th day.  My friend says it's because I put TP in the tank.  I say BS!

I've considered getting one of those flexible wands; however, it sure wouldn't reach very far and definitely would not reach the tank.  I believe the entire length is 55 inches?  Have to check again.  I couldn't tell you exactly where the black tank is located.  I have no idea and cannot see it since I have an underbelly cover. 

I use plenty of water and bought "Pure Power Blue" at the RV store.  She insisted that it would eliminate any odor.  (NOT)

I have one of those solar powered gadgets that is supposed to "draw out" the odor.  (NOT)

The problem is exacerbated probably because I am permanently parked and have been since September.  Unlike most RV'ers, I don't have the desire to travel and instead have different plans and goals.

Thanks for your help Tom.  ;)

Cathy

Icemaker said:
And as for tank odor....I've had great luck dropping a dishwasher pod in the bowel every so often [no schedule just when I remember] and it works for me..

George
What is a dishwasher pod?  Had a dishwasher for over 23 years, never used a "pod."

Rene T said:
I can't imagine anyone storing their poop paper and then disposing it at the end of the day. These systems are designed to hold paper providing you use the correct paper. Make sure you use plenty of water when flushing and don't keep your drain valves open all the time. Only open them when the tanks are full or nearly full.  If you could have looked into your tank, you may have found a huge pyramid of solid s__t directly under your intake pipe coming from the toilet. I had the same issue with a used 5th wheel I purchased last year. The original owners were seasonal at a campground and I'm thinking that they left the tank valve open while they were camping. All this did was drain the liquids but the solids never had a chance to drain.  I noticed it for the first time when the toilet backed up at 2:00 in the morning while camping and the only way I could unblock it was by using a toilet plunger but it only last a couple of days when it backed up again.  It took a long time to finally get the tank cleaned and the pyramid removed.  As far as the smell, have you ever heard of or tried the Geo Method. I'm just trying it right now. It uses water softener combined with powdered soap and bleach to keep your tanks clean and clean smelling. I read the entire write-up about it and it makes a lot of sense. Just Google "Geo Method" and you should get it.
Thanks for this one.  I actually had a water softener hooked up to my rig but disconnected it.  Hmmm...now I'm thinking I didn't have this odor problem, or as big of an odor problem, when I was using that.    But I'll definitely try this method.  :)

StarDancer said:
What is a dishwasher pod?  Had a dishwasher for over 23 years, never used a "pod."

I assume he is referring to the little self-contained packets of dishwasher detergent you can buy now.  They come in a clear pouch that dissolves in water.

Back
Top Bottom