The longest you have been stuck in traffic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in my c class coming back from CT 7 hours school bus flipped . helos flying in and out with kids. walked up to see what happened the rear axle ripped out from one slide turn side wides and you can see what happened to the kids. Bad Bad day

My longest was 3 1/2 hours on the bay bridge between Oakland and SF. Of course it is normal to be stuck for 2 hours there :)

My longest was 3 1/2 hours on the bay bridge between Oakland and SF. Of course it is normal to be stuck for 2 hours there :)
I once made the mistake of thinking the San Mateo/Hayward Bridge would have less traffic. An accident on the San Mateo Bridge made the wait around 1.5 hours or so. I would have been back home (in SSF, CA then) much sooner if I just took the Bay Bridge.

Was many years ago. I have not been back in the SF area for many years now and I hope to keep it that way.

-Don- Reno, NV

We were caught in traffic on Eastbound I-70 at the Indiana/Ohio State Line once. The traffic was creeping along at about a mile an hour. Fortunately, we managed to ease into the rest area /Welcome station and find a truck parking spot. We ended up spending the night. About 4 AM state Police knocked on the door and told us the road was open and we could be on our way.

We were caught in traffic on Eastbound I-70 at the Indiana/Ohio State Line once. The traffic was creeping along at about a mile an hour. Fortunately, we managed to ease into the rest area /Welcome station and find a truck parking spot. We ended up spending the night. About 4 AM state Police knocked on the door and told us the road was open and we could be on our way.
Nice of them to “move you along” at 4am.

Some 20-odd years ago I got stuck in a massive traffic jam on Hwy 58 near Oakridge, OR. A gas truck overturned under a railroad underpass just west of town, closed the highway in both directions and there was no way around it.

I was able to get off the highway, made it to a city park and started making dinner. It was getting dark, there were several families in cars and the kids were getting bored. I set my TV and VCR on an outside table and treated everyone to a movie and popcorn while we waited. This was before Internet streaming was a thing.

I wound up staying overnight in the park and the highway was just re-opening when I woke the next morning.

Not me, last August Long Long Honeymoon set out on their annual road trip rather late in the season and after a night in a campground near Nashville got on I-24 headed north and had a slight delay.

Well, we were stuck there for quite a while. This really did finish off our plans for the day, but - Hey - makes for a good story. During one of our loops in Yellowstone, we were stopped. Absolutely stopped for an hour plus. Long enough to have lunch. We did shut down the main engine for some time, but we had to keep a close watch because every once and a while someone ahead of us would get to move then the whole line would shuffle up to close the hole. IMG_5945.JPGIMG_5953.JPGIMG_5949.JPG
If you know dog faces, you will recognize this as wonder. She had seen cows and horses, but she was sure that she did not know what these were. She is no longer traveling with us and I miss her very much. The little sister we got her is a friend, but not a companion.

That first bunch was about 50 including calves. After we broke through that, we come on the second much smaller herd, but every bit sure that they owned the road. According park rules, they do.

One of those things that makes Yellowstone so memorable.

Matt

My wife and I were stuck in a buffalo jam in Yellowstone. We were in the Jeep with the top and doors off of it. Not a real secure feeling when these animals were about the same size as the Jeep. Just glad we weren't on the bikes.

Right after last Christmas. Highway 58 between Bakersfield and Tehachapi. It took three hours to go 18 miles. I-5 south over the Grapevine was closed due to slides so all that traffic was detoured to 58. Plus there was road construction and 58 was one lane. Once we got through the construction zone it all opened up and flowed fine.

Longest for us probably an hour or so at different times mainly due to an accident ahead, but nothing like the multi-hour delays others here describer.

Last week we were headed north on a highway and as there was what looked to be a pretty bad multi car/truck accident southbound, we couldn't help-- as we continued driving uninterrupted for many miles-- but feel bad for those stuck and at the same time relief that it wasn't on our side of the road!

If it’s just due to traffic, more than a couple hours. However, 2 winters ago, my stepson was stuck in a traffic jam for 30+ hours. A major wreck shut down I 80 near Rawlins, Wy for quite a while! memtb

Average America wastes 51 hours per year in traffic.

The worse traffic in the USA could be in Chicago. About ties with London.

Think that is bad?

80 hrs lost per year in the traffic of Great Britian.

The worst traffic jam was in China, 60 miles / 97 km long and lasted for 11 days.

See here for more info.

-Don- Reno, NV

Long enough where I got out and peed next to my truck on the freeway - in the middle lane. So, 3-hours maybe. It was on I-80 somewhere in the Berkeley, CA area in the late 90's.

It was on I-80 somewhere in the Berkeley, CA area in the late 90's.
Since I have been living in Reno and Auburn, I can no longer tolerate even getting too close to Berkley. I am now too used to getting to where I am going at full speed (some rare exceptions, of course) as well as finding a place to park right where I am going to. Here, even the rush hours are not too bad these days (usually--sometimes road construction or an accident).

-Don- Reno, NV

Longest for us was approx. 3 hrs. A rainstorm in the mountains of Northern NV had washed away the state highway and DOT was hauling in riprap stone to build an new road-bed.
We had a dually and 5er at the time. We would go back to the trailer for restroom breaks. An hour or so into the wait a man knocked on my truck door and asked if his pregnant wife could use our restroom, as the workers portapotty was occupied.
That woman appeared to be near child-birth, and when my wife took her into the trailer DW said the woman never stopped thanking her.

A rainstorm in the mountains of Northern NV had washed away the state highway
95 North of Winnemucca? 93 North of Wells? Or the road that goes north from Elko, (which I don't think I have ever been on)?

Or the small road that goes east to Denio, NV? I stayed at the motel there several times on motorcycle rides. Kinda out in the middle of nowhere.

-Don- Reno, NV

Since I have been living in Reno and Auburn, I can no longer tolerate even getting too close to Berkley. I am now too used to getting to where I am going at full speed (some rare exceptions, of course) as well as finding a place to park right where I am going to. Here, even the rush hours are not too bad these days (usually--sometimes road construction or an accident).

-Don- Reno, NV
Where we live now, rush hour traffic out on the highway 5-minutes away to the east is one or two cars every couple of minutes. Our country road is 5 miles long, and basically runs between that highway and another, less-traveled one to the west. After everyone both directions has gone to work for the day you could sit in front of my house for hours and not see a vehicle pass by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom